Albums Ghostface Killah - Set The Tone (Guns & Roses) (Discussion Thread)

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Hate to say it but Ghost is done. He’s one of my fav mcs of all time but it might be time to hang it up. His voice sounds like Cappadonna now and he’s too old to rapping about drug dealing. On another note if Alchemist can still get away with sampling there’s no excuse not to have some fire beats

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not that the coli ain't right, but the discussions about the issues the legends have with production they rap over nowadays is becoming the main thing in the release threads (and somehow Nas is involved :jbhmm:)

That Common / Rock project better restore the feeling orrrrrr else...

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Others are being more generous to this album that the fans. Seen a few 3.5/5 and Parks rating it. Might be an industry thing though

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
I give it a 2.5 / 5. Its a mixed bag. Theres like 5 dope tracks, 5 mid ones and 5 that are complete trash.

I have to say that almost every Ghost feature in the last 5-10 years has been total fire. For some reason he phoned it in on his own albums during most of that period. He still has the skills but for some reason he chooses when to use them.

SC2 should be dope if it really is an album hes worked on for over a decade.

tryfbindope

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn. I must be in the minority because I love this album from start to finish. My Top 10 favorite Ghostface albums list are updated now:

Supreme Clientele
Ironman
Fishscale
Big Doe Rehab
Set The Tone
Bulletproof Wallets
More Fish
Ghostface Killahs
Wizard of Poetry
Pretty Tony

Redwood

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
Damn. I must be in the minority because I love this album from start to finish. My Top 10 favorite Ghostface albums list are updated now:

Supreme Clientele
Ironman
Fishscale
Big Doe Rehab
Set The Tone
Bulletproof Wallets
More Fish
Ghostface Killahs
Wizard of Poetry
Pretty Tony

Putting Set the Tone over The Pretty Toney Album is one bold move, imo :pachaha:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If only the rest of this sounded like Skate Odysee:fire: and the AZ/Meth/Nas joint. Hopefully RZA oversees SC2 production like he did the first iconic one. And the Top 5 Cereal:laff: skit shoulda been a whole song:lupe::banderas:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I gotta peep this. Between work and rap beef fukkery I'm behind on multiple albums lol. Gotta hit this, the new Conway, and I still haven't peeped the Roc Marci album.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
GFK released Fishscale in 2006. I wish it had that production :mjlol: :francis: Three of these songs sound like leftovers from Wizard Of Emerald City.

Griselda and their affiliates have an entire stable of producers that would fare better for long time vets like GFK. Guys like G4Jag, Flee Lord, Eto, etc are getting high quality production from guys whose names you barely even know. 38 Spesh is right there. The production from Santana Fox’s releases would’ve been fitting. I just don’t get it with these long time vets. V-Don and Roc Marciano are right there.
V-Don vintage cinematic fresh production:boss: would suit Ghost like a wallabee:banderas::obama:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
GFK released Fishscale in 2006. I wish it had that production :mjlol: :francis: Three of these songs sound like leftovers from Wizard Of Emerald City.

Griselda and their affiliates have an entire stable of producers that would fare better for long time vets like GFK. Guys like G4Jag, Flee Lord, Eto, etc are getting high quality production from guys whose names you barely even know. 38 Spesh is right there. The production from Santana Fox’s releases would’ve been fitting. I just don’t get it with these long time vets. V-Don and Roc Marciano are right there.
it makes no sense. some of these bum ass underground dudes be having decent to great production. OG's keep going the walmart route on production. somebody need to find out why this is.

It cant be sample clearance issues cuz these underground producers be sampling they ass off.