Gogo Music Appreciation

norfwestdc

All Star
Daps
For those who don't know it's a sub-genre of funk music that originated in Washington D.C in the late 1970 s by Chuck Brown. It combines funk with jazz, Latin jazz, soul and traditional African music. It relies heavily on percussion so many people call it Jungle music.

A lot of early hip-hop acts like Heavy D, Eric B and Rakim, Salt n Pepa, and 2 Live Krew sampled gogo music.

One of the most defining aspects of gogo music is the hood aspect involved. A lot of gogo band members are dead or in jail for the bullshyt they was involved in. There are plenty of gogo songs were people shout out their neighborhoods in the background.

The atmosphere at a gogo is worse than Three-6-mafia or Gucci Mane. I remember a hood called E street came in at least 100 deep and beat the shyt out of everybody in the club.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The old school Go Go is where it's at. Go-Go lost some of it's identity when they closed down music departments in school leading to less black kids knowing how to play instruments and when the genre embraced more hip-hop.

I never met a black person that doesn't like Go-Go and it's the only black American genre that hasn't been infiltrated by white folks

:dj2: :mj: :dj2: :mj:
:ohlawd::whew::banderas:

Ruckfonnie

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
pg
I just took my girl to her first gogo at the city winery a couple weeks back. She from ny. Had to let her no it’s nothing like the old days