Google’s YouTube buys Twitch for $1 Billion

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I thought they were ditching that shyt for Youtube, you really think they'll implement it with twitch? :huh:

I dont tihnk theyll ever ditch google+ bruh

on the back end of everything (youtube, google adsense, etc.) everything ties back to your google+ account.. they even made people like me with old youtube accounts merge our fukkin youtube with our google+ shyts disgustin

Can anybody speculate on the good and bad of this move?

Good: Google is not as bad as people make them out to be. They have a lot of money and can upgrade Twitch slow ass servers and can possibly help newer streamers get noticed as well (hopefully) by making it more intune with YouTube.

Bad: Google already wont let you get paid if you got music running in the background if you upload a video with it. Example; if im playing Call of Duty but im listening to 2pac in the back, YouTube will still allow you to upload the video (how is it still not copywrite issues?) but wont let you get paid off it. People look at Twitch streamers as radio/tv personalities and people even watch certain streamers for the music they play. YouTube might remove this where as Twitch let it go on. This will be a big hit to the entertainment value of Twitch.

long story short without typing a whole lot of nonsense;

Good - YouTube has a lot of money to improve a lot.
Bad - YouTube is a huge corporation and has to play by the laws

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
already a new feature in

called "Twitch Hosting"

so I could "host" say @GoldenGlove stream, and my viewers would be seeing HIS stream on MY channel, but they would be in the chat room with people in my chat room, not GoldenGloves chat room.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
already a new feature in

called "Twitch Hosting"

so I could "host" say @GoldenGlove stream, and my viewers would be seeing HIS stream on MY channel, but they would be in the chat room with people in my chat room, not GoldenGloves chat room.
That's actually something that I could see being useful for the Game Night stuff people want to do on here.

:ohhh:

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
The google influence is taking over already.:snoop:

Starting today, Twitch will be implementing technology intended to help broadcasters avoid the storage of videos containing unauthorized third-party audio. We respect the rights of copyright owners, and are voluntarily undertaking this effort to help protect both our broadcasters and copyright owners.

What Is Audio Recognition?

We’ve partnered with Audible Magic, which works closely with the recorded music industry, to scan past and future VODs for music owned or controlled by clients of Audible Magic. This includes in-game and ambient music. When music in the Audible Magic database is detected (“Flagged Content”), the affected portion of the VOD will be muted and volume controls for that VOD will be turned off. Additionally, past broadcasts and highlights with Flagged Content are exportable but will remain muted.

The Audible Magic technology will scan for third party music in 30 minute blocks — if Audible Magic does not detect its clients’ music, that portion of the VOD will not be muted. If third party audio is detected anywhere in the 30-minute scanned block, the entire 30 minutes will be muted.

How It Works: Scanning VODs Only

Audio Recognition will only be run against audio in VODs. We are not scanning live broadcasts and there is no automated takedown of live content.

Flagged Content will display an on-screen notification informing viewers that content owned or controlled by a third party has been identified. The progress bar will also be red for the duration of the muted section.

Content-ID-New

Please note that Audio Recognition is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate. It may return false positives or miss content from copyright owners who do not work with Audible Magic. If you wish to include music in your VODs, please remember that you are responsible for clearing all such rights (this includes ambient music that may be playing in the background while you are broadcasting). If you would like to include free-to-use music in your VODs, there are a variety of resources available to you, including:

Creative Commons
Jamendo
SongFreedom
Broadcaster & Copyright Owner Appeals

If you believe that your video has been flagged improperly and that you have cleared the rights to all of the sound recordings in your uploaded video, then we will consider unmuting your video if you send us a counter-notification that is compliant with the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”).

Any copyright owner that believes that any of their content is used in any live broadcasts or VOD without authorization should submit a notification of claimed infringement to Twitch pursuant to our Terms of Service.If you are the legal owner of copyrighted music that you would like to protect via Audible Magic’s technology, visit AudibleMagic.com.

Twitch has partnered with Audible Magic without waiving any rights or defenses available to it under law. Twitch is not obligated to filter content stored on the Twitch platform by its users and assumes no liability for the actions of its users notwithstanding the implementation of the Audible Magic technology. Twitch reserves the right to stop filtering audio content in VODs in its sole discretion at any time and without liability to any third party, subject only to any contractual obligations.

We want to hear your feedback and questions. Tune in to the following events to ask us (almost!) anything:

Reddit AMA on /r/Twitch: Thursday, August 7, 10:30am PST
Twitch Weekly: Friday, August 8 at 2pm PST
And, as always, please feel free to leave your comments below. We will answer as best we can.

Hate it had to be you Twitch.:to:

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
Soooooo, how's this for a swerve: apparently Google has NOT bought Twitch, and now it's reported that Amazon will be buying Twitch, for the aforementioned $1+ billion. Talk about confusing.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to-buy-video-site-twitch-for-more-than-1-billion-1408988885
Amazon.com Inc. AMZN +1.03% has agreed to acquire Twitch, a live-streaming service for videogame players, for more than $1 billion, according to a person who has been briefed on the matter.

The deal could be announced as soon as Monday, the person said.

Google Inc. GOOGL -0.20% had earlier been in talks to acquire Twitch, but those talks cooled in recent weeks, according to people familiar with the matter.

Twitch, launched in June 2011, is the most popular Internet destination for watching and broadcasting videogame play. The startup raised $20 million from investors, including Thrive Capital and videogame-maker Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. TTWO -0.85%in September.

News of the acquisition was earlier reported by tech website The Information.

It was reported here first, but you need an account to read the whole article.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Soooooo, how's this for a swerve: apparently Google has NOT bought Twitch, and now it's reported that Amazon will be buying Twitch, for the aforementioned $1+ billion. Talk about confusing.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to-buy-video-site-twitch-for-more-than-1-billion-1408988885

Good. Amazon has great customer service anyway, unlike Google. I'm sure Amazon has been listening to the backlash of the Twitch community during the Google deal rumor. They'll surely keep Twitch independent.

FloorGeneral

I don't even know anymore...
Daps
Reppin
Packerland
IGN reporting it as a done deal. Amazon paying $970m CASH.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/25/amazon-not-google-in-talks-to-buy-twitch-reports-suggest
Update: Twitch has confirmed that Amazon will acquire the company later in 2014. Amazon will acquire all of Twitch's outstanding shares "for approximately $970 million in cash" by the end of the year.

“Amazon and Twitch optimize for our customers first and are both believers in the future of gaming,” said Twitch CEO Emmett Shear. “Being part of Amazon will let us do even more for our community. We will be able to create tools and services faster than we could have independently. This change will mean great things for our community, and will let us bring Twitch to even more people around the world.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite earlier reports that Google had reached a deal to buy Twitch for $1 billion, new reports suggest that Amazon is in late-stage talks with the livestreaming service.

There has been no confirmation from either company as of now, but IGN has reached out to Twitch for comment. A person who was briefed closely on the matter said Amazon will purchase Twitch for more than $1 billion, according to tech blog The Information and the Wall Street Journal. The same source also said the deal could go through as soon as today.

Initial rumors originally surfaced in Variety in May, and were subsequently supported by reports from WSJ, in which the deals were reportedly far from complete.

IGN will update this story with any comment from the companies involved.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
So what the fukk are we waiting for???

Let's get that thread going to turn TheColi into a multi-billion dollar IP.

@Brooklynzson

1. st off, the Coli needs its own dedicated Editorial section where the most prolific posters can start the posts. Create a desirable hierarchy similar to the formula video games use... Make posters want to be in that upper echelon. Kinda like how @Walt inspires me to want to be respected on the Coli

2. There needs to be a facet of the site for an "Angel investor" type of setup. We have the ingredients...
People who are willing to support the Coli. People who have certs(:ufdup:Not the posers). And people with the ideas & blueprint.

3. A dedicated review section. I, for one, definitely(ridiculous premise I know) trust a lot of the opinions & reviews of products/games/movies. We should foster something where epople come to the Coli to get their reviews.

Other ideas too.

Let's do this. 0 %. Not counting Dr. Dre, 0% of the Silicon Valley belongs to Black Americans. Or any black people for that matter. Think about that.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

well whats weird about this whole situation is that a lot of partners with twitch (the popular streamers) have multiple times accidentally (or not) said twitch was already bought by youtube months ago and thats it been youtube+twitch contacting them about upcoming changes etc...

so who the fukk is telling the truth or not I dunno.. Keep in mind these streamers have contracts with Twitch. They gain nothing by lying either way so I dunno..

this reminds me of the Wiz Khalifa situation where he was already signed to a label for Kush and OJ, but they advertised him as underground artist...