Gordon Gekko "Greed Is Good"

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
i eat according to my appetite & according to my ability

it's a sin to seek to hinder me in anyway

no one has the right to determine my portion

attempt to do so & violence is the natural response

even if you do unethical acts to get success you feel you shouldn't be hindered?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think we're seeing the end result of greed/capitalism right now and it's not pretty. I remember when the Trump tax bill was first being discussed, a lot of firms were telling clients "the final bill won't be so generous/ridiculous so don't get your hopes up." Then the final bill turned out to be just that generous/ridiculous and I couldn't help but laugh. Businesses spent nearly a decade hording resources, not really investing or expanding...they were rewarded with an insanely generous tax cut. And their immediate response was to...pay off their shareholders, continue to horde capital, buying back stock, etc. Yea some little people got minor raises and hiring has been steady but we're still in a "new normal" of lower wages and fewer employees while businesses reward themselves on the highest level.

How long is this sustainable in an economy driven by consumption? BTW have you noticed how a lot of billionaires, even libertarian leaning ones like Elon Musk, support UBI (universal basic income)? They know the jig is up, and that the best way for them to continue reaping profits is for the federal government to subsidize them by subsidizing consumers (ie giving people money, which they will use to consume products). We're fukked....I don't think people are ready for the damage automation is going to do to our economy. And I think there will be an opportunity to try to address it by investing in people again...but I doubt it. I think we'll see more right wing faux populism, more "make America great again" nonsense, and more depression and violence as America falls.

Buckle up. Invest and pursue careers that won't be automated, folks.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
I think we're seeing the end result of greed/capitalism right now and it's not pretty. I remember when the Trump tax bill was first being discussed, a lot of firms were telling clients "the final bill won't be so generous/ridiculous so don't get your hopes up." Then the final bill turned out to be just that generous/ridiculous and I couldn't help but laugh. Businesses spent nearly a decade hording resources, not really investing or expanding...they were rewarded with an insanely generous tax cut. And their immediate response was to...pay off their shareholders, continue to horde capital, buying back stock, etc. Yea some little people got minor raises and hiring has been steady but we're still in a "new normal" of lower wages and fewer employees while businesses reward themselves on the highest level.

How long is this sustainable in an economy driven by consumption? BTW have you noticed how a lot of billionaires, even libertarian leaning ones like Elon Musk, support UBI (universal basic income)? They know the jig is up, and that the best way for them to continue reaping profits is for the federal government to subsidize them by subsidizing consumers (ie giving people money, which they will use to consume products). We're fukked....I don't think people are ready for the damage automation is going to do to our economy. And I think there will be an opportunity to try to address it by investing in people again...but I doubt it. I think we'll see more right wing faux populism, more "make America great again" nonsense, and more depression and violence as America falls.

Buckle up. Invest and pursue careers that won't be automated, folks.
What careers wont be automated and what career do you have?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
What careers wont be automated and what career do you have?
I'm an accountant, so my job will be automated eventually but in the foreseeable future, business firms will continue to play a role/be important. I'm not worried about myself and would recommend the profession to others.

In terms of professions that will not be automated...many skill based jobs are safe. Heating &a cooling, carpentry, plumbing, specific IT jobs like security/infosec, medical professionals that directly deal with patients, business consulting, etc. Sure it's possible for much of that to be automated at some point but you won't be fukked by it if you're in school right now for instance.