Hip Hop Guru Tribute & Appreciation Thread

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What did Guru mean to you? To me he represented a lot as an artist, a positive brother with skill and intellect. Was raw and real with a great body of work. And bridging the gaps with the Jazzmataz albums. Whenever I heard Guru speak he always had something positive and intelligent to say. He was filled with substance.

Best Guru tracks and albums? I feel Moment Of Truth is one of the greatest Hip Hop tracks. Powerful shyt.

smokeurobinson

Banned
Supporter
Daps
When I met Preemo Guru was still alive and we both agreed that Jazzmatazz 2 was the best one of them all. That album should have one some sort of award....Guru proved he didnt need Preemo all over an album to show his artistic skill. Jazzmatazz 2 is a hip hop album that u can have playing in the background while reading a book.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When I met Preemo Guru was still alive and we both agreed that Jazzmatazz 2 was the best one of them all. That album should have one some sort of award....Guru proved he didnt need Preemo all over an album to show his artistic skill. Jazzmatazz 2 is a hip hop album that u can have playing in the background while reading a book.

True, I disagree when people big up Premier and downplay Guru, I think they were a great team. I like Guru's not Gangstarr work too.

SoulController

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Almighty Garden State
it was sad the group ended the way it did, Gu seemed to have gotten a little lazy lyrically on The Ownerz after he set the bar high with MOT. i always thought of them as almost equals in the group, he brought alot to the table

:to:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know a lot of younger cats got really on to Gangstarr with Moment Of Truth. Great album, probably 4.5 mics. Lots of classic songs.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it was sad the group ended the way it did, Gu seemed to have gotten a little lazy lyrically on The Ownerz after he set the bar high with MOT. i always thought of them as almost equals in the group, he brought alot to the table

:to:

No doubt, he did. I always saw them as equals too. mad respect for both. Probably we all got to know Guru even more back then due to him being the MC. When I first heard Ownerz I think I felt similar that it was a slight drop off but it grew on me. Some great songs on that too. Apparently another Gangstarr album would have one day happened.