Guy - Guy 1988 appreciation

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
I love this album, near flawless.
Still don't know what Damion hall contributed to the group.
You should youtube the extended remixes for Guy Songs.
Basic Black and Jodeci's first album are good too for something similar

Damien was the road band drummer/dancer/background vocals ala Dalvin in Jodeci...

As for Basic Black you right it was real familiar lol That was their ex manager Gene Griffin tryin to make a Motown version of Guy like Maurice Star did New Kids off of N.E.

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love this album, near flawless.
Still don't know what Damion hall contributed to the group.
You should youtube the extended remixes for Guy Songs.
Basic Black and Jodeci's first album are good too for something similar

Damion was a glorified weed carrier in the group but I'll ALWAYS rock with that nikka for this shyt right here

About as flawless as an R&B song can get, my girl Chantel Moore on the hook :ohlawd:

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damien was the road band drummer/dancer/background vocals ala Dalvin in Jodeci...

As for Basic Black you right it was real familiar lol That was their ex manager Gene Griffin tryin to make a Motown version of Guy like Maurice Star did New Kids off of N.E.

Teddy dissed the living shyt out of Gene on the next album too

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Guy are the most important post-1980 r&b act ever next to New Edition. First album is classic and the second album is timeless. If we didnt have Guy we'd have no Jodeci, Pharrell, R Kelly and if we had no Jodeci, R Kelly or Pharrell we'd have no Trey Songz, Timbaland, Missy Elliott, Justin Timberlake, Aaliyah, etc etc. The heirachy of their influence and proteges is astounding. Wish i could have witnessed being in New York City when their first album dropped. Heard "Groove Me" broke down the doors and introduced the urban element to r&b. Godly

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Guy are the most important post-1980 r&b act ever next to New Edition. First album is classic and the second album is timeless. If we didnt have Guy we'd have no Jodeci, Pharrell, R Kelly and if we had no Jodeci, R Kelly or Pharrell we'd have no Trey Songz, Timbaland, Missy Elliott, Justin Timberlake, Aaliyah, etc etc. The heirachy of their influence and proteges is astounding. Wish i could have witnessed being in New York City when their first album dropped. Heard "Groove Me" broke down the doors and introduced the urban element to r&b. Godly

Only issue I have with your post is this right here.

You mean Keith Sweat's debut in 87, not Guy. Still, that was all Teddy in any case.

Don Jesus

All Star
Daps
Only issue I have with your post is this right here.

You mean Keith Sweat's debut in 87, not Guy. Still, that was all Teddy in any case.

Yeah this is true. I was just telling someone last week who said Bobby Brown was the King of New Jack Swing that the title really goes to Keith Sweat. But for some reason Keith Sweat doesnt get the revisionist acclaim Bobby Brown does because Keith Sweat today is more known for his mid 90s slow jams then the New Jack swing shyt he made

Travellin' Man

Veteran
Daps
My older sister was ON them when I was a kid. She played this album into the hole. Groove Me is one of the best party songs ever

Dum dum diddy:ohlawd:

underrated cut

:dj2::stylin::mj:

Bruhs, I can put this album on and just let it play from start to finish. Aaron's voice and Teddy's production was like the perfect match. This album is magical. :ohlawd:

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
This thread is slowly becoming a Teddy Riley appreciation thread...so might as well do the honors. Teddy's best work imo

This track alone summarize R and B to the fullest. Melodies, chords, a reasonable temp, and soulful singing. It's crazy how MJ didn't hop on this track, but Levy manage to put the shyt to shame. Sad to hear such a voice not getting much recognition outside of Blackstreet once the split happened because holy shyt dude tore this track up something serious.