Guy sends balloon and 2 Go Pro cameras 80,000 into the atmosphere

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
If they combined this contraption with a drone, they could do some cool stuff

From imgur
My friend and I sent a weather balloon carrying two GoPros to 80,000 feet above central California. The results are absolutely AMAZING.
(source) · 13 hours ago

Pre-launch preps. Liftoff occurred at around 7:30 AM from Porterville, California, about an hour away from Bakersfield. Payload was extremely low-tech. A shoebox wrapped in duct tape, it carried two GoPro Hero 2 HD cameras and a SPOT GPS. The balloon was supposed to carry the cameras to an altitude between 80,000 and 100,000 feet (24-30 km). It would drift south and eventually land in the southern Mojave Desert.
wZUQzye.png

Liftoff!

T+1 min. Camera 1 is pointed straight down at the ground. Unfortunately, we forgot to clear the memory card before launch, so it doesn't record the whole flight. We were so focused on making sure the GPS was working that we neglected the cameras a bit. Oh, well.

Camera 2 is pointed horizontally. This one functions perfectly, taking a photo every few seconds for the entire three-hour flight. Cameras 1 & 2 took a total of 5,226 photos.

T+8 mins, Camera 1.

T+8 mins, Camera 2.

T+10 mins, Camera 1. This is the final downward-facing photo taken by Camera 1.

T+18 mins. At this point the balloon is already ascending through the clouds.

T+22 mins. Out of the clouds; nothing but clear skies above.

T+43 mins. I can see for miles and miles and miles and miles and miiiilllles. Oh yeah!

T+2 hrs. As you can see, condensation has formed on Camera 2's fish-eye lens. This doesn't turn out to be a problem; it disappears before the balloon reaches peak altitude.

T+2.5 hrs. Peak altitude. We didn't have an altimeter on this flight, but based on pre-launch simulations, we're estimating a max height of between 80,000 and 90,000 feet.

Balloon burst. During the entire ascent, the latex weather balloon has been expanding due to the dropping external air pressure. Finally, it can't take the stress anymore and pops.

This is my favorite image from the flight, taken just after balloon burst. The payload is tumbling at this point, so it is by shear luck that we got a photo of this quality.

The payload tumbles in free-fall for about six minutes before the air becomes thick enough for the parachute to stabilize it.

It's worth noting that our 'parachute' is in fact a run-of-the-mill trash bag.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
Plunging through the atmosphere

I really like this photo; the blue/white contrast has a very 'minimalist' feel to it.

Into the clouds.

T+2.75 hrs. This is the final photo taken by Camera 2, just a few seconds before impacting the ground. But...

...we don't land in the Mojave Desert as planned. Instead, the balloon pops early (for some unknown reason) and touches down along the side of a ravine, smack-dab in the middle of the Tehachapi Mountains. AAARRRGGHHH. Time for a hike! By the time we reach the mountain, though, the setting sun forces us to head back to our home in Los Angeles for the night.

We return the next day. After an arduous trek through the middle of freaking nowhere, we find the payload. The shoebox has totally disintegrated, but the equipment is all there. Woot!

Panorama of the landing site.

I have to say, even though a Mojave landing would've been a hell of a lot more convenient, you can't beat the view! 10/10 would fly again.

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
tumblr_n42cjjsriB1smcbm7o1_400.gif

fukk ,that was not suppose to happen....sorry about that...working on something in the lab. fukk it though

anyways ,the drone would have to be made or covered with some type of composite material/fabric (assuming that they have that sort of cash) and they could use the same method getting into the atmosphere as they did before..........but how would they get the drone out of the box once its in the atmosphere,though ? just speculating..........

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Anylink to the full video, I'd to skim through it.

It seems like Iast year, some rock band, did a similar experiment where they launched pizza into space or something, but then the local police department tracked them down or some weird shyt...

anyways @Napoleon :wow:

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
tumblr_n42cjjsriB1smcbm7o1_400.gif

fukk ,that was not suppose to happen....sorry about that...working on something in the lab. fukk it though

anyways ,the drone would have to be made or covered with some type of composite material/fabric (assuming that they have that sort of cash) and they could use the same method getting into the atmosphere as they did before..........but how would they get the drone out of the box once its in the atmosphere,though ? just speculating..........
cover the drone in a composite spheroid capsule for ascension and reentry, shed capsule after reentry and drone can autopilot back home
only problem I see is the mechanism needed to project cameras out of the sphere during ascension and retract them closer to the drone for landing

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
cover the drone in a composite spheroid capsule for ascension and reentry, shed capsule after reentry and drone can autopilot back home
only problem I see is the mechanism needed to project cameras out of the sphere during ascension and retract them closer to the drone for landing

:yeshrug:

I don't know( i am no expert on this) capsule could be made with small hole for camera with a small retractable extender hooked to the camera that would be attached to the drone (it would retract on reentry exactly when the capsule sheds )..........I have no idea......

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
dope as fukk....just copped mine, no way in hell I'd try this but I will be buying a drone to hook this bad boy up to