Hall of Famer/HBCU alum starts project to modernize HBCU football fields

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
Article is new, video appears to be recent.
If you read it again, never states that all HBCU programs have fields in bad shape.
I did but in the vid it said that Virginia Union was the first to have field turf installed. Maybe that brand that they’ve partnered with but FAMU definitely has had field turf since I visited in 2018. Matter of fact, the day I went, they had just finished laying it on the field.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I did but in the vid it said that Virginia Union was the first to have field turf installed. Maybe that brand that they’ve partnered with but FAMU definitely has had field turf since I visited in 2018. Matter of fact, the day I went, they had just finished laying it on the field.
VUU was the first to be part of the Honey Bear Project, and get a renovated field.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
This is your field/stadium correct?

You brought up a good point in a recent thread, that the article touches on.

Namely, that the modern fields add a revenue stream to the college (facililty rentals, major event hosting). The Athletic Director for Central State states that in the article, and I believe you mentioned this about Morris Brown. That once MB is back, that they could make money with their field.

nah that’s Alabama A&M, I went to Alabama State, which was the first stadium pic I posted.

but yea, Morris Brown’s stadium is just sitting there on the west side of Atlanta rotting when it can be used for many things.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I don't doubt the incentives. People should simply know what they're getting into. When 85%+ of youth players don't have any shot of going pro, yet end up with lifelong injuries that fund entire medical careers...the tail is wagging the dog. You can't make smart decisions without information. :manny:
There are inherent risks in playing football.
The schools/sports programs have to carry insurance for their players. If playing on field turf presents considerably more risk of injury than grass, the Injury Insurance Policy rates should reflect that.

*Also, in your first post you said "kids destroy their bodies chashing their parents' dreams"
Where does that take/viewpoint come from?

Most kids are self motivated to play the organized sports that they love. The chance of landing a D1 ride, and possibly playing in the NFL are the things that fuel the hard work, and sacrifices they go through to play football.

a$$hole parents, and live through their sons dads exist, but not enough to say that kids who play football are chasing their parents' dreams.