Have you seen your city or state portrayed in film? How accurate was it?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Born and raised in LA

I hate when people say its all Hollywood out here, which is far from the truth

shyt is a hell hole like other cities outside of the small Hollywood music/entertainment circles..

People wake up everyday to go bust they ass and be stuck in traffic for 3 hours..

Only big difference is many political/police officers/ city officials wants to be Hollywood them damn selves
LA has a very working class blue collar history. Parts of LA are very gritty. From what I've researched, especially Central and Eastside areas.
Like, the socio-economic dividing line seems to between the East and Westsides rather than North/South. East South Central is grittier than West South Central. East LA-Downtown is gritty compared than WeHo, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, etc. LA films have portrayed these aspects, but never explained the dividing line. :jbhmm:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Not a lot of movies or shows based in DFW. There was "Dallas" and then "Walker Texas Ranger."

Too young to watch Dallas but it seemed pretty accurate for rich white people in the 70s/80s living in the area.

Walker? I saw them filming a scene near Lakewood in East Dallas...around 1996. The diversity of criminals was dead azz accurate.

They'd have a "Black" episode with F-Dawg trying to recruit Jamal into a gang. Then there'd be some Loco Chavez Mexican banger terrorizing the abuelitas in the barrio. Then you have the suit/tie white supremacist that always spills some shade at Trivette without ever using a slur. Next you gotta have that Triad episode with some Asians where everyone talks about shame and honor and Walker actually has to pull out some tricks to win because the Asian baddie can fight....then last is the spiritual episode where we are reminded that Walker is half Native American (his dad) so he gets in touch with a shaman and his inner spirits ("You must soar like an Eagle, Washo").

The diversity of fukkery is on brand for DFW.
This is accurate about Walker Texas Ranger and the DFW. :dead:

They really did try to incorporate a diverse cast of criminals reflecting the demographics of the whole city in every episode.

The "don't forget I'm part Native American" episodes were dead on. :dead:

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
:demonic: The Devil’s Advocate
I don’t think all was really filmed in Gville, Fl though a church did look familiar

also Jeepers Creepers :devil:and The Waterboy filmed in north central FL

Last edited:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Born and raised in LA

I hate when people say its all Hollywood out here, which is far from the truth

shyt is a hell hole like other cities outside of the small Hollywood music/entertainment circles..

People wake up everyday to go bust they ass and be stuck in traffic for 3 hours..

Only big difference is many political/police officers/ city officials wants to be Hollywood them damn selves
Hollywood and Downtown used to be some the worst parts

That’s changed?

Ruckfonnie

All Star
Daps
Reppin
pg
when Kyla Pratt and her crew were repping pg on that episode of insecure.....accurate cause we got the baddest bishes

Last edited:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Of course people think of the Wire when they think of here. It was accurate if you are in the streets heavy, law enforcement or politics. But the show had people think the whole city is like that which is far from the truth
Baltimore is so geographically small. Its hard for people to fathom that the bad parts don't clash with everyone else. But you're right. BMore has some upper class Black areas and areas free from the F'ery.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
when Kyla Pratt and her crew where repping pg on that episode of insecure.....accurate cause we got the baddest bishes
PG County? I forget Issa lived in DMV as well. I always seem to think of her as straight up West LA/Crenshaw/Baldwin Hills. She grew up in two upper class black areas on both coasts. She has a truly unique perspective. Kyla Pratt aging like a fine wine. :whew:

Kyla an LA chick.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
The Informant was based in Decatur, IL.

I never seen it because I know it didn't show the street element and how we really get down.

Chicago brehs know we get busy, but that's on the low, though:sas2:

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
I hate when Miami is portrayed outside of Miami because it’s always obvious as fukk.

Filmmakers… we don’t have mile long palm trees NOWHERE in Florida. Stop it.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Money and Violence was filmed in the neighborhood I grew up in (Flatbush Brooklyn) it mainly focused on the streets though and I'm NOT a street nikka so IDK if it was accurate or not. I was :krs: when they filmed in a chinese restaurant I use to eat at though :pachaha: