HBCUs during WW2 [ US Office of War Information mini doc]

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Negro colleges in war time​

Summary​

This film shows how the black colleges of America have gone to war and are using their resources in the drive to victory. In these black colleges throughout the nation, there are scientists in laboratories to produce the vital materials of war; students studying chemistry, meteorology, and animal husbandry; young men and women preparing to become doctors, nurses, and technicians. This film highlights the work being done at Tuskegee Institute, Prairie View College, Howard University, and Hampton Institute.

Created / Published

United States : Office of War Information, Bureau of Motion Pictures, 1943 running time 8:34

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I was reading a dissertation for the Rate this HBCU series and it made an interesting connection---the big enrollment surges for HBCUs came after Black veterans returned from WWI and WWII. So besides what the HBCUs did during the wars, these wars had a side effect of helping grow them and the educational attainment of Black folks generally.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I was reading a dissertation for the Rate this HBCU series and it made an interesting connection---the big enrollment surges for HBCUs came after Black veterans returned from WWI and WWII. So besides what the HBCUs did during the wars, these wars had a side effect of helping grow them and the educational attainment of Black folks generally.
Very interesting. Pre CRM, the only time AAs got breaks for advancement was during wartime. America had her back against the wall, and by necessity it became all hands on deck. Occupations and resources that they were previously blocked from, had voids that demanded filling.

I'd never heard of wartime or post war boon for HBCUs until now. I'd be interested in seeing parts of the diss. Would like to see which schools got the biggest stimulus post wars, and what effect the population shifts of the Great Migration had on the differences between WW1 and WW2 G.I. spikes.

Last edited:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
They sent the students to Howard University to be military Doctors, nurses and engineers and they sent the training to Hampton university

😏😏😏 safe to say we know who the real HU was.

Great video OP

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I found one of the things I read, it was actually a DOE report. See pages 6-14 in the link below though the whole report is pretty interesting as far as HBCU evolution up to the 1980s. One thing is after the GI Bill enrollment surge died down in the early 50s, Black women became the majority of HBCU undergrads though the gap was small and stable at around 55/45 until the 1980s.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I found one of the things I read, it was actually a DOE report. See pages 6-14 in the link below though the whole report is pretty interesting as far as HBCU evolution up to the 1980s. One thing is after the GI Bill enrollment surge died down in the early 50s, Black women became the majority of HBCU undergrads though the gap was small and stable at around 55/45 until the 1980s.

Thank you. GREAT information.