patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
c93bd1f13c.jpg

Saturday night, HBO presents a big fighter in action as Vasyl Lomachenko (7-1; 5 KO) faces Jason Sosa (20-1-4; 15 KO) for the WBO 130 pound world title.

Vasyl Lomachenko is the reason to watch this fight - an absolute phenom, Lomachenko turned pro in 2013, and is already a legitimate two division world champion. He’s fighting as a professional for only the 9th time here, yet he’s already considered by many analysts to be the #1 pound for pound fighter in all of boxing. That status was given an unexpected boost a few weeks ago when Roman Chocolatito Gonzalez, widely considered #1 at that time, lost in an upset. With Gonzalez out, it seems either Lomachenko or Andre Ward has to be #1. This fight likely won’t change anyone’s opinions on Lomachenko, but it should set up what is next for him - perhaps a third world title up at Lightweight, or perhaps some louder volume to the talk of Lomachenko vs. Pacquiao in a dream fight.

Also on the broadcast is the latest from undefeated Cruiserweight Oleksandr Usyk in a good test against Michael Hunter. This will be Usyk’s first fight under new trainer Anatoly Lomachenko. Rounding out the fight is another Ukranian fighter with a similar pedigree, 2012 Olympic Bronze medalist Oleksandr Gvozdyk, who faces Cuba’s Yunieski Gonzalez.

Join us live this Saturday night April 8 for live fight night coverage of HBO Boxing Lomachenko vs. Sosa live on HBO.

LOMACHENKO vs. SOSA FIGHT CARD
HBO, Sat. April 8, 10:00 p.m. ET

Vasyl Lomachenko vs. Jason Sosa
Oleksandr Usyk vs. Michael Hunter
Oleksandr Gvozdyk vs. Yunieski Gonzalez

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
undercard blurb - Lomachenko-Sosa, Usyk-Hunter & Gvozdyk-Gonzalez this Saturday » Boxing News

Usyk has a very good opponent on his hands in Michael Hunter. We saw recently in Hunter’s wins over Isiah Thomas and Phil Williams that he’s the real deal. Hunter looks like he’s got the talent to be a world champion at cruiserweight. The only thing we don’t know is if he’s good enough to beat Usyk. Even if Hunter isn’t able to defeat Usyk, he’s got the kind of talent that will enable him to capture a world title in the near future if he keeps winning the way he’s been. Hunter gave Artur Beterbiev all kinds of problems in the 2012 Olympics.

“The biggest motivation for me is my desire to be the best, I give 100% every day in the gym, I know that I need to continue to improve to become the undisputed cruiserweight world champion,” said Usyk.

Usyk defeated Thabiso Mchunu by a 9th round knockout last December in a defensive battle. Usyk had to box Mchunu for most of the fight. In the 8th round, Usyk began to throw a lot of punches from different angles to confuse Mchunu. The style worked, as Mchunu couldn’t keep up with all the incoming punches from Usyk. The crowd wasn’t pleased with the lack of slugging from Usyk. They wanted to see a brawl rather than a boxing match.

The 6’3″ southpaw Usyk is going to need to use his punching power more for his fight against Hunter on Saturday, because he’s going to have problems if he tries to box him for 12 rounds. Hunter, 6’2″, has good size and top notch boxing skills. He could pull off an upset if Usyk tries to box him like he did Mchunu.

Gvozdyk, 29, has what could be the toughest fight on the card against Yunieski Gonzalez. Gvozdyk was knocked down in round 1 in his fight against former world title challenger Tommy Karpency last July. It wasn’t a flash knockdown. Gvozdyk was really hurt by the southpaw Karpency. However, Gvozdyk was able to come back from the knockdown to take over the fight and stop Karpency in round 6. Gvozdyk defeated Isaac chilemba by a 8th round stoppage on November 19 last year. Chilemba suffered a hand injury and couldn’t continue. That was Gozdyk’s 6th consecutive stoppage victory since 2015. Gvozdyk also knocked out former world title challenger Nadjib Mohammedi in the 2nd round on April 9 last year. It was good win for Gvozdyk.

Yunieski Gonzalez, 31, is coming into Saturday’s fight with Gvozdyk having lost 2 out of his last 4 fights in defeats to Vyacheslav Shabranskyy and Jean Pascal. Gonzalez appeared to have done enough to deserve the victory over Pascal. The loss to Shabranskyy was a clear loss. He was simply outworked by him. In Gonzalez’s last two fights he’s beaten Jackson Junior and Maxwell Amponsah by 1st round knockouts.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Imagine if all 3 of them would lose :dead:

Chances of that is like 1% but it would be :mjlol:

Gonzalez is the liveliest dog out there, Gvozdyk hasn't impressed me that much so far, with that said Gonzalez is pretty reckless and Gvozdyk's strenght suppose to be countering so I guess he should win this.

Hunter probably way too green but I wouldn't mind if he would fukk around and win, he probably won't tho

Loma vs Sosa... Sosa hasn't got much chance on paper... :yeshrug: He should rush Lomachenko like the brawler he is, rough him up, etc... not p*ssyfooting like Roman and Walters did. I guess Loma is dangerous on the counter too but he is even better if the opponent just tentative and doesn't do anything. Sosa should hit him with the kitchen sink, everything... Maidana vs Floyd I style, he shouldn't let this turn into a "boxing" match cause in the moment he gives Lomachenko time to think and to get his game down he is done.

OVerall a solid card, it is meant to market the Ukranian Olympian team but they all got at least solid, decent opponents.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imagine if all 3 of them would lose :dead:

Chances of that is like 1% but it would be :mjlol:

Gonzalez is the liveliest dog out there, Gvozdyk hasn't impressed me that much so far, with that said Gonzalez is pretty reckless and Gvozdyk's strenght suppose to be countering so I guess he should win this.

Hunter probably way too green but I wouldn't mind if he would fukk around and win, he probably won't tho

Loma vs Sosa... Sosa hasn't got much chance on paper... :yeshrug: He should rush Lomachenko like the brawler he is, rough him up, etc... not p*ssyfooting like Roman and Walters did. I guess Loma is dangerous on the counter too but he is even better if the opponent just tentative and doesn't do anything. Sosa should hit him with the kitchen sink, everything... Maidana vs Floyd I style, he shouldn't let this turn into a "boxing" match cause in the moment he gives Lomachenko time to think and to get his game down he is done.

OVerall a solid card, it is meant to market the Ukranian Olympian team but they all got at least solid, decent opponents.

good post breh...wanted to wait until i got in the office to reply

i also think Gvozdyk-Gonzalez is a good LHW match of up and comers..this one to me has prolly the biggest chance of an "upset" happening

Usyk has a bit of the struggle boxing in him, but then I dont think hunter is really that good. I wasn't impressed with his fights on PBC..kinda disappointed considering he's the son of one of the notorious (and troubled) HW spoilers of the 80s-90s: Mike "The Bounty" Hunter...but we will see..but i dont see an upset on that one

I think Sosa is tough enough to last 12 rounds with Lomachenko...he stayed on his feet with Axeman and Fortuna..plus he has power to boot that he carries late..I think he will come to fight..but yeah he can't give Lomachenko any time to think else he will get woefully outclassed

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sosa is tough and has heart so I don't expect him to go out like Walters did just outright quitting, but the difference in skills is just too much imo. Sparring all the time with Farmer and putting in a full camp with dude is nice preparation for dealing with angles and level changes, but Loma is another level beyond that.

Last edited:

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Terrible choice of a venue for this fight...crowd gonna be empty as fukk.

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What's wrong with the venue?

It ain't the venue itself...it's the choice of the fighter @ the venue...Loma belong at Barclays or Radio Music Hall or some shyt where it's Ukranians/Eastern Europeans or a place with a heavy cac/non-black boxing fanbase...we ain't got nothing for him out here
qBeU45s.png

Folks MIGHT show up when Russ fight here next month though.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
What titles does lomanchenko have right now? Thought he already had the wbo for some reason

hes the wbo super featherweight champion
It ain't the venue itself...it's the choice of the fighter @ the venue...Loma belong at Barclays or Radio Music Hall or some shyt where it's Ukranians/Eastern Europeans or a place with a heavy cac/non-black boxing fanbase...we ain't got nothing for him out here
qBeU45s.png

Folks MIGHT show up when Russ fight here next month though.
:russ:.i see..with the gary fight its a given

Apex

Banned
Daps
How well will this show do? It's competing against UFC 210.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sosa's Promoter: We Don’t Know If Lomachenko is a Great Fighter - Boxing News
Sosa's Promoter: We Don’t Know If Lomachenko is a Great Fighter

By Keith Idec

Russell Peltz is a little taken aback by the predominant perception of the Vasyl Lomachenko-Jason Sosa fight Saturday night.

Lomachenko is a 25-1 favorite over Sosa, the former WBA world super featherweight champion Peltz promotes. Peltz gets the sense it’s as if Sosa might as well not even show up to MGM National Harbor for their HBO “World Championship Boxing” main event in Oxon Hill, Maryland.

“They say we’re not gonna win one second of one round in this fight,” Peltz said during a press conference Thursday. “Some of my closest friends in boxing, both of them, tell me that I’m leading a sacrificial lamb to slaughter.”

vasyl-lomachenko_5.jpg

The 29-year-old Lomachenko has impressed Peltz by winning world titles in two weight classes by just his seventh professional fight. But Sosa’s promoter isn’t about to label Lomachenko (7-1, 5 KOs) as a great, unbeatable boxer.

“I don’t know if he’s a great fighter or not,” Peltz said. “He’s only had eight pro fights. I’m sure he’s a terrific fighter. But if Mike Tyson had retired after beating Michael Spinks in 1988, we’d be talking about him up there with Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali.

“You can’t rate a fighter until his career is over. You just can’t do it. Last month they were comparing Triple-G to Marvin Hagler. Triple-G’s a terrific fighter. But let’s see what happens at the end of his career because, all of a sudden, he was in a fight [against Daniel Jacobs] and people don’t know how good Triple-G is.”

Peltz offered a reminder Thursday that Sosa (20-1-4, 15 KOs) has occupied comparable positions and performed much better than expected.

The Camden, New Jersey, native drew with a then-unbeaten Nicholas Walters (26-1-1, 21 KOs) in their December 2015 fight in Verona, New York. In his next fight, he overcame a scorecard deficit to record an 11th-round technical knockout against Javier Fortuna (31-1-1, 22 KOs, 1 NC) and won the WBA 130-pound title June 24 in Beijing.

“Jason’s been around the block,” Peltz said. “I can’t remember the last time he was a favorite in a fight. He certainly wasn’t a favorite in the Nicholas Walters fight. He wasn’t a favorite in the Javier Fortuna fight. And from what I read, he was a toss-up fight in Monte Carlo against Stephen Smith [a unanimous-decision win].

“And what’s the worst thing that can happen to Jason Sosa Saturday night? He’s already been knocked out in one round. Just like Jack Dempsey, Max Schmeling, John Henry Lewis, Bob Montgomery, Joey Maxim, ‘Jersey’ Joe Walcott, Floyd Patterson, Sonny Liston, Emile Griffith, Michael Spinks and Ken Norton. And guess what? They’re all in the Hall of Fame. See ya Saturday.”