He wrote it as an Expose, readers saw it as a "How To" Guide

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The-Price-of-Admission-How-SDL089445791-1-83d66.jpg

By Daniel Golden

My 2006 book, “The Price of Admission: How America’s Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges — and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates,” was intended as a work of investigative journalism.

But many of its more affluent readers embraced it as a “how to” guide. For years afterward, they inundated me with questions like, “How much do I have to donate to get my son (or daughter) into Harvard (or Yale, or Stanford)?” Some even offered me significant sums, which I declined, to serve as an admissions consultant.

They may have been motivated by a tale I told in the book about a youth whose admission to Harvard appears to have been cemented by a $2.5 million pledge from his wealthy developer father. The then-obscure Harvardian would later vault to prominence in public life; his name was Jared Kushner, now President Trump’s son-in-law.

Those requests from people who misunderstood my aim in writing the book came back to mind on Tuesday when I heard about the latest and most brazen scandal involving upper-crust parents — including chief executives, real estate investors, a fashion designer and two prominent actresses — manipulating college admissions.

One would think that the rich and famous would care less than the rest of us about foisting their children on elite colleges. After all, their kids are likely to be financially secure no matter where, or if, they go to college. Yet they seem even more desperate — to the extent, according to a criminal complaint, that dozens of well-heeled parents ponied up six or seven figures for bogus SAT scores and athletic profiles for their children to increase their chances at Yale, Stanford and other brand-name universities.

The parents allegedly paid anywhere between $200,000 and $6.5 million to William “Rick” Singer, who ran a college counseling business in Newport Beach, Calif. Singer in turn bribed standardized test administrators and college coaches in upper-class sports like crew, sailing and water polo, even staging photos of the applicants playing various sports, prosecutors said.

The parents “chose to corrupt and illegally manipulate the system,” Andrew Lelling, U.S. attorney for Massachusetts, said at a press conference Tuesday. “There can be no separate college admissions system for the wealthy.”

Perhaps these parents were pining to boast at Hollywood cocktail parties about their Ivy League imprimatur. Possibly their offspring, like those of many successful families, lacked the motivation to strive and excel academically, and without a substantial boost would have been consigned to colleges of lesser repute.

In any event, such allegedly criminal tactics represent the logical, if extreme, outgrowth of practices that have long been prevalent under the surface of college admissions, and that undermine the American credos of upward mobility and equal opportunity. Although top college administrators and admissions officials were apparently unaware of the deception, their institutions do bear some responsibility for developing and perpetuating the system that made it possible.

I began looking into this issue in 2003, at a time when the U.S. Supreme Court was considering the fairness of affirmative action for minorities. I documented another form of affirmative action — for the white and privileged.

According to one poll after another, most Americans believe that college admissions should be based on merit, rather than wealth or lineage. Through their own intelligence and hard work, students with the best grades, the highest test scores, the most compelling recommendations and other hard-earned credentials achieve a coveted ticket to higher education — and with it, enhanced prospects for career success and social status. So goes the legend perpetuated by elite colleges, anyway.

But decades of investigating college admissions have led me to conclude that, for rich and famous families, it’s more like a television game show, “Who Wants to Be an Ivy Leaguer?” complete with lifelines for those who might otherwise be rejected. Instead of phoning a friend or asking the audience, the wealthy benefit from advantages largely unavailable to middle-class and poor Americans — what I described in my book as “the preferences of privilege.”

The best-known and most widespread of those preferences is conferred on alumni children, known as “legacies,” who tend as a group to be disproportionately white and well-off. But rich applicants whose parents didn’t attend the target university, like Kushner, still have a leg up.

Rich candidates can enhance their standardized test scores with test prep and tutoring. They don’t have to rely for college recommendations and advice on an overburdened public high school guidance counselor with a caseload of hundreds of students. Instead, their parents can afford a private counselor who discreetly advises the desired university that the family has a history of philanthropy and, in case of acceptance, would be inclined to be especially generous.

Similarly, inner-city schools often don’t field teams in patrician sports like crew, squash, fencing and the like. But prep and suburban schools do, giving their affluent students an opportunity for the significant edge given to recruited athletes, even in upper-class sports limited to a relative few. Colleges favor recruits in these sports at least partly for fundraising reasons; they’re important to wealthy alumni and donors who played them in college or enjoy them as leisure activities.

So the parents charged in the current case followed customary practices of the entitled: hiring a private counselor, getting test help and participating in a patrician sport. The difference is that they allegedly took blatant short cuts: The counselor was unscrupulous, a stand-in secretly took the tests, and the applicants didn’t actually play those sports.

But, without the tilted system of preferences already in place, the parents would have had to choose a different route — or actually let merit determine their children’s college destiny.

Comments

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
"According to one poll after another, most Americans believe that college admissions should be based on merit, rather than wealth or lineage. "

How the hell do you measure "merit" though? Who has more merit, a rich kid at a great school who gets a 2000 SAT just by doing what he's supposed to do or a poor kid at a shyt school who works her ass off to rise above her circumstances and get a 1700 SAT?

If someone has a tiger mom and is enrolled in all the extracurriculars, takes AP courses, does private test prep, and all that and comes out with great grades/scores, do they have more "merit" than someone whose single mom is working all the time and who had to do everything they did through their own damn motivation?

Heck, if someone is just naturally a better test taker, does that give them more "merit" than someone who gets test anxiety?

I'm pretty much done with the idea that getting into great colleges should be about "merit". It just leads to a bunch of obsession with test-taking and stats that automatically favors whoever grew up in privilege. Colleges should only accept people who have the skills to succeed at their college, beyond that they should take in whoever the hell they want to fulfill their own objectives/values. And if those objectives/values are racist or favor White people or rich people, we should call them out and shame them and punish them in the social/economic sphere until their objectives/values change.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
"According to one poll after another, most Americans believe that college admissions should be based on merit, rather than wealth or lineage. "

How the hell do you measure "merit" though? Who has more merit, a rich kid at a great school who gets a 2000 SAT just by doing what he's supposed to do or a poor kid at a shyt school who works her ass off to rise above her circumstances and get a 1700 SAT?
Standardized tests exist for the same reasons that sports leagues use scouting combines. They don't know what level of competition you faced, so everybody goes through the same drills.

Are you for doing away with the standardized tests for Graduate Schools? Licensing tests for professionals?

At each level, wealth would give advantages to some of the test takers.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Standardized tests exist for the same reasons that sports leagues use scouting combines. They don't know what level of competition you faced, so everybody goes through the same drills.

Are you for doing away with the standardized tests for Graduate Schools? Licensing tests for professionals?

At each level, wealth would give advantages to some of the test takers.
That rationale would make sense if the SAT actually gave you any additional information regarding whether a student would succeed. But it doesn't. It's been well-proven statistically that there is no correlation between a student's SAT scores and their likelihood to succeed in college once other factors (grades, courses, family background, etc.) have already been taken into consideration.

The issue is that SAT scores have very little to do with future success, as life success has very little to do with test-taking skills, multiple-choice answers, or perfect command of the rules of grammar and algebra. And what they do correlate with, you can figure out easy enough through other means anyway.

That's why the University of Chicago, one of the best and most selective schools in the country, has already made SAT scores optional. So has Wake Forest, George Washington, Weslayan, Smith, Brandeis, WPI, American, Clark, Bowdoin, Smith, Bates, Bryn Mawr, Mount Holyoke, Mills, and a dozen or two other schools.

An Ultra-Selective University Just Dropped the ACT/SAT. So What?

In fact, the main reason most schools haven't done this isn't that they love the SAT. A lot of people in higher ed know the SAT is crap. However, current college admissions are insanely focused around rankings because parents are focused on rankings, and those rankings are heavily based on test scores (read Weapons of Math Destruction for some biting insight there). It's gotten so silly that some colleges are paying kids to retake the SAT after they've already been admitted, just to get their rankings up.

And since SATs benefit rich white and asian people, not to mention make a LOT of money for the college board, test prep companies, and US News and World Reports, they're not going away any time soon.

I've been involved in education for almost twenty years now, I have a graduate degree in the field and help organize international education conferences pulling in experts from across the world. The feeling that tests like the SAT are a load of crap isn't even fringe anymore, it's hit the mainstream.

College President says SAT is part hoax, part fraud

I taught America to beat the SAT. That's how I know it's useless.

Why The SATs Are a Scam, Unless You Can Pay $1,000 an Hour... - ATTN:

The College Admissions System Is a Scam In Itself – Rolling Stone

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
That rationale would make sense if the SAT actually gave you any additional information regarding whether a student would succeed. But it doesn't. It's been well-proven statistically that there is no correlation between a student's SAT scores and their likelihood to succeed in college once other factors (grades, courses, family background, etc.) have already been taken into consideration.

The issue is that SAT scores have very little to do with future success, as life success has very little to do with test-taking skills, multiple-choice answers, or perfect command of the rules of grammar and algebra. And what they do correlate with, you can figure out easy enough through other means anyway.

That's why the University of Chicago, one of the best and most selective schools in the country, has already made SAT scores optional. So has Wake Forest, George Washington, Weslayan, Smith, Brandeis, WPI, American, Clark, Bowdoin, Smith, Bates, Bryn Mawr, Mount Holyoke, Mills, and a dozen or two other schools.

An Ultra-Selective University Just Dropped the ACT/SAT. So What?

In fact, the main reason most schools haven't done this isn't that they love the SAT. A lot of people in higher ed know the SAT is crap. However, current college admissions are insanely focused around rankings because parents are focused on rankings, and those rankings are heavily based on test scores (read Weapons of Math Destruction for some biting insight there). It's gotten so silly that some colleges are paying kids to retake the SAT after they've already been admitted, just to get their rankings up.

And since SATs benefit rich white and asian people, not to mention make a LOT of money for the college board, test prep companies, and US News and World Reports, they're not going away any time soon.

I've been involved in education for almost twenty years now, I have a graduate degree in the field and help organize international education conferences pulling in experts from across the world. The feeling that tests like the SAT are a load of crap isn't even fringe anymore, it's hit the mainstream.

College President says SAT is part hoax, part fraud

I taught America to beat the SAT. That's how I know it's useless.

Why The SATs Are a Scam, Unless You Can Pay $1,000 an Hour... - ATTN:

The College Admissions System Is a Scam In Itself – Rolling Stone
thanks for the lengthy response. I didn't hear your answer to the question though. There's a reason why I asked it and I feel that the rationale does make sense to an extent. I've read about pushback against the GRE exam for some of the reasons cited in the articles you listed.

https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2017/06/gres-dont-predict-grad-school-success-what-does

I think standardized tests, in reality give people from non elite backgrounds better access to opportunities. By standardized tests......I'm including civil service exams, the test that military administers to recruits, etc,etc. Makes the selection process less subjective when you can compare test results from applicants. Any objective criterion would seem to benefit the applicant without the social advantages.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
thanks for the lengthy response. I didn't hear your answer to the question though. There's a reason why I asked it and I feel that the rationale does make sense to an extent. I've read about pushback against the GRE exam for some of the reasons cited in the articles you listed.

https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2017/06/gres-dont-predict-grad-school-success-what-does

I think standardized tests, in reality give people from non elite backgrounds better access to opportunities. By standardized tests......I'm including civil service exams, the test that military administers to recruits, etc,etc. Makes the selection process less subjective when you can compare test results from applicants. Any objective criterion would seem to benefit the applicant without the social advantages.
yeah i'm with you on this. i like taking out subjectivity in this racist society of ours. whenever objectivity is the primary criteria, minorities do better. does anyone honestly think asians would be overrepresented at the elite schools if admissions weren't based on a specific set of objective criteria? the goal should be getting our kids better prepared for these objective tests, because the alternative of an admissions officer dismissing the grades from your not so good high school is worse. they might as well admit the dumb dumb whose parents can easily pay the tuition AND donate to the school. now if you have an objectively high test score and good enough GPA they would have some legal explaining to do.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
thanks for the lengthy response. I didn't hear your answer to the question though. There's a reason why I asked it and I feel that the rationale does make sense to an extent.
I didn't answer the question because I don't have a firm opinion. I've been studying SAT tests and their efficacy for 20 years, I have little knowledge or experience with most other testing regimes (well, except for AP scores. The AP is a total scam - not surprising, seeing as it's run by the same corporation that runs the SAT).

Something like the PPE exam, I assume it's somewhat more useful because they are testing for a very specific knowledge base and because all the applicants are already engineers, the variability in prep won't be nearly as high. But I don't know if it actually correlates to engineering performance at all.

Something like the Wonderlic, on the other hand, is almost certainly useless horseshyt that tells you nothing you don't know about whether someone will be a good NFL player.

GRE and professional school exams? I assume they're not as bad as the SAT, but only by a matter of degree, they probably suffer from many of the same issues just at a lesser level.

Think about it. At least for medical school, you're testing a bunch of people who all have a college education and who all wish to go to medical school, and you're testing a specific aspect of their knowledge base and test competency. With the SAT, you're trying to use one limited test to compare ANYONE from ANY background who is going to college to study ANY subject.

Think of how stupid that is. That's like if all the pro sports teams in LA made all rookies take the Wonderlic, and then only accepted the players with the best scores without even considering which sport they were going to play, much less which position. No one would be that dumb about sports - even the NFL doesn't use the Wonderlic as a cutoff, even Vince Young still got a chance. But colleges are forced to use the SAT as an absolute measure of excellence that counts the same for everyone.

SAT only determines the success of first-year students, not if they graduate.
You're basically right, but I'll be more specific and note that it only explains about 10% of the variance of first-year student grades, and then nothing after that.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I'm assuming ya'all think that just because you don't realize how biased these tests are and how much they simply measure how good your family had things.

Imagine if I made the following argument.

"I'm never going to trust any institution's subjective evaluation of my skin color because White people run all the institutions and White people are super racist. So I think that people of all races should be judged solely by how much wealth they control. Sure, white people control way more wealth than black people, but at least it's objective. If you want to be judged better than make more wealth."
You realize the enormous hole you'd dig for yourself if you decided that "objective" wealth was a more fair measure to judge a race than "subjective" opinion?

SAT scores don't limit racism, they give it cover. Just like judging people by their bank account, you're taking a judgment system that correlates strongly by race and then claiming it is "objective" so therefore it's not going to be racist. SAT scores favor White people over Black people in at least ten ways that I can think of:

1. Wealth - students with more money score higher due to access to a large range of advantageous life circumstances. White people control far more wealth than Black people.

2. School quality - students who go to better schools score higher. White people go to far better schools than Black people.

3. Colloquial language patterns - the test is geared towards the kind of language most White people speak every day. In fact, the gap between white and black performance on the SAT verbal is LARGEST for the "easier" questions and SMALLEST for the "harder" questions, virtual proof that the questions are racially biased. White people get the "easy" grammar questions right because they're just natural speech patterns for them, while Black people from households that don't speak that way have to work that much harder to answer everything.

4. Flynn effect - the more generations a population has access to abstract thought processes, the better they tend to perform on abstract tests, even if they aren't actually any smarter in real-world application of those abstractions. The average IQ score in developed nations goes up by about 3 points every decade due to this effect. But Black people in general have had access to abstract education and professions for a much shorter time period than White people, because they were purposely frozen out of that schooling for hundreds of years.

5. Stereotype effect - Black students perform significantly worse on tests when they believe that the test will reflect on their race. It's an extra level of test anxiety that White students never have to consider.

6. Verbal home environment - standardized test scores often correlate to the number of words a child hears from adults during their early development. Black kids tend to hear far far fewer words from adults over the course of a day than White kids, in part because they're more likely to be raised by single mothers or by low-wage parents who have to be at work all the time.

7. Generation effect - White students are far more likely to have had a more educated parent, more professionals in their extended family, less family debt, a better extended family safety net, and a whole range of other advantages born out of generational racism.

8. Schooling experience differences - Black students are more likely to be schooled in classrooms that have larger class sizes, in classes where they are a minority, by teachers of a different race than themselves, and with subject matter that doesn't reflect their own experience - all of which has been shown to depress student performance.

9. Environment differences - the average Black student grows up with significantly more stress, in a more dangerous neighborhood, in a noisier neighborhood, with more exposure to pollution, with poorer nutrition, with poor health care, and so on - all of which affect performance.

10. Test prep culture - even for the families that could afford test prep, there isn't the same culture of test prep in Black communities, so wealthy White and Asian communities have far more test prep tutors available who are more skilled at their jobs, and they have a greater peer push to take advantage of them. A lot of Black families don't even know such things exist.

How are you going to level that playing field? Some of those things can be addressed by a particularly motivated student or parent, but only if the parent is especially proactive. Others CAN'T be addressed by anything except fighting for much greater equality over multiple generations.

if we say that 98% of Black kids just aren't going to get such opportunities until equality is reached, how the hell is equality going to be reached?

yeah i'm with you on this. i like taking out subjectivity in this racist society of ours. whenever objectivity is the primary criteria, minorities do better.
Uh, that's blatantly false in real life.

Racial demographics of students admitted to Harvard currently:

43% White
19% Asian
10% Black
9% Hispanic
(rest are international or unknown)

Racial demographics of students that would be admitted to Harvard if only "objective" academic criteria were taken into account

38% White
43% Asian
1% Black
2% Hispanic

Black and Latino students do NOT do better with these "objective" measures. They do far, far worse. Because the objective measures are just contrived fill-ins for historical issues that are even more racist in origin than the current admissions officers are. An admissions process might indeed be subjectively racist, but at least it's moderated by the current relatively low acceptance of racism. A test that correlates strongly to historic racial disparities won't be moderated by anything.

Ya'all should read Weapons of Math Destruction. It shows how the biases in "objective" criteria may be even worse in reality than subjective bias, because at least you can fight subjective bias and force it to change. With "objective" bias, it becomes hard-baked into the system and there's no pressure to change at all. "These are objective numbers, they must be right, too bad for you."

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'm assuming ya'all think that just because you don't realize how biased these tests are and how much they simply measure how good your family had things.

You realize the enormous hole you'd dig for yourself if you decided that "objective" wealth was a more fair measure to judge a race than "subjective" opinion?

SAT scores don't limit racism, they give it cover. Just like judging people by their bank account, you're taking a judgment system that correlates strongly by race and then claiming it is "objective" so therefore it's not going to be racist. SAT scores favor White people over Black people in at least ten ways that I can think of:

1. Wealth - students with more money score higher due to access to a large range of advantageous life circumstances. White people control far more wealth than Black people.

2. School quality - students who go to better schools score higher. White people go to far better schools than Black people.

3. Colloquial language patterns - the test is geared towards the kind of language most White people speak every day. In fact, the gap between white and black performance on the SAT verbal is LARGEST for the "easier" questions and SMALLEST for the "harder" questions, virtual proof that the questions are racially biased. White people get the "easy" grammar questions right because they're just natural speech patterns for them, while Black people from households that don't speak that way have to work that much harder to answer everything.

4. Flynn effect - the more generations a population has access to abstract thought processes, the better they tend to perform on abstract tests, even if they aren't actually any smarter in real-world application of those abstractions. The average SAT score in developed nations goes up by about 3 points every decade due to this effect. But Black people in general have had access to abstract education and professions for a much shorter time period than White people, because they were purposely frozen out of that schooling for hundreds of years.

5. Stereotype effect - Black students perform significantly worse on tests when they believe that the test will reflect on their race. It's an extra level of test anxiety that White students never have to consider.

6. Verbal home environment - standardized test scores often correlate to the number of words a child hears from adults during their early development. Black kids tend to hear far far fewer words from adults over the course of a day than White kids, in part because they're more likely to be raised by single mothers or by low-wage parents who have to be at work all the time.

7. Generation effect - White students are far more likely to have had a more educated parent, more professionals in their extended family, less family debt, a better extended family safety net, and a whole range of other advantages born out of generational racism.

8. Schooling experience differences - Black students are more likely to be schooled in classrooms that have larger class sizes, in classes where they are a minority, by teachers of a different race than themselves, and with subject matter that doesn't reflect their own experience - all of which has been shown to depress student performance.

9. Environment differences - the average Black student grows up with significantly more stress, in a more dangerous neighborhood, in a noisier neighborhood, with more exposure to pollution, with poorer nutrition, with poor health care, and so on - all of which affect performance.

10. Test prep culture - even for the families that could afford test prep, there isn't the same culture of test prep in Black communities, so wealthy White and Asian communities have far more test prep tutors available who are more skilled at their jobs, and they have a greater peer push to take advantage of them. A lot of Black families don't even know such things exist.

How are you going to level that playing field? Some of those things can be addressed by a particularly motivated student or parent, but only if the parent is especially proactive. Others CAN'T be addressed by anything except fighting for much greater equality over multiple generations.

if we say that 98% of Black kids just aren't going to get such opportunities until equality is reached, how the hell is equality going to be reached?
I am the child of immigrants, from THE poorest country in the Western hemisphere. My parents were from different socioeconomic groups in that country, with my father being from a "higher" social class from a more advanced region. They had to start over here, though, including learning more of a new language.

I scored significantly higher than my siblings on k-12 standardized tests and on the S.A.T. Same household, and we're all separated by 11 years. Youngest child didn't score much different than the oldest child. None of tested poorly or had difficulty in school.Public schools..until most of us tested into magnets.

My father made it a point to ALWAYS speak English to us at home, as he saw how the language barrier and the accent barrier hindered him and other people from the same immigrant wave.

Not much of what I wrote is exceptional, as we grew up knowing the children of our parents' friends. We all had the same social "handicaps" that you listed, and worse because we were ESL (english second language). The ones who scored higher on tests had greater choice of schools, etc but the lower scores didn't block entrance to college for the others.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I am the child of immigrants, from THE poorest country in the Western hemisphere. My parents were from different socioeconomic groups in that country, with my father being from a "higher" social class from a more advanced region. They had to start over here, though, including learning more of a new language.

I scored significantly higher than my siblings on k-12 standardized tests and on the S.A.T. Same household, and we're all separated by 11 years. Youngest child didn't score much different than the oldest child. None of tested poorly or had difficulty in school.Public schools..until most of us tested into magnets.

My father made it a point to ALWAYS speak English to us at home, as he saw how the language barrier and the accent barrier hindered him and other people from the same immigrant wave.

Not much of what I wrote is exceptional, as we grew up knowing the children of our parents' friends. We all had the same social "handicaps" that you listed, and worse because we were ESL (english second language). The ones who scored higher on tests had greater choice of schools, etc but the lower scores didn't block entrance to college for the others.

You do realize that individual outliers don't disprove statistical reality, right? :gucci:

You didn't counter a single one of the arguments that I made. You just pointed out a single exception, and even then you hinted at a number of advantages you had which many black students don't. I got great SAT scores too despite in some ways being more disadvantaged than you, does that suddenly disprove everything about everyone else's reality? :what:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
You do realize that individual outliers don't disprove statistical reality, right? :gucci:

You didn't counter a single one of the arguments that I made. You just pointed out a single exception, and even then you hinted at a number of advantages you had which many black students don't. I got great SAT scores too despite in some ways being more disadvantaged than you, does that suddenly disprove everything about everyone else's reality? :what:
I'm in multiple threads and I just wrote my personal experiences relating to the social handicaps that you outlined. Read my post again about how not much of my personal family story was exceptional and the children of my parents' friends and fellow immigrants went through the same things. Statistical Outlier? uh, no.

Will address your full post in detail later , but when you began your post with the words "I'm assuming ya'all think that just because you don't realize how biased these tests are and how much they simply measure how good your family had things.", it seems as though your mind is made up about the topic.
Again, I was fast tracked and routed to magnet schools within public school system. I was in a competitive scholastic environment since 4th grade. That's the default for me, not the exception. Every kid in my school lived in same environment and from similar economic background. 8 times out of then, this is what was the difference,though.....the importance of family culture
I've been rallying against the cringe elements of the current identity wave on Coli. While everybody should be proud of their identity however they define it, family culture > ethnic culture, now and forever.

I mentioned the experience of my family and fellow children of immigrants as examples of people with additional "social handicaps" who "beat the system"

Last edited:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal

4. Flynn effect - the more generations a population has access to abstract thought processes, the better they tend to perform on abstract tests, even if they aren't actually any smarter in real-world application of those abstractions. The average IQ score in developed nations goes up by about 3 points every decade due to this effect. But Black people in general have had access to abstract education and professions for a much shorter time period than White people, because they were purposely frozen out of that schooling for hundreds of years.

Uh, that's blatantly false in real life.

Racial demographics of students admitted to Harvard currently:

43% White
19% Asian
10% Black
9% Hispanic
(rest are international or unknown)

Racial demographics of students that would be admitted to Harvard if only "objective" academic criteria were taken into account

38% White
43% Asian
1% Black
2% Hispanic

Black and Latino students do NOT do better with these "objective" measures. They do far, far worse. Because the objective measures are just contrived fill-ins for historical issues that are even more racist in origin than the current admissions officers are. An admissions process might indeed be subjectively racist, but at least it's moderated by the current relatively low acceptance of racism. A test that correlates strongly to historic racial disparities won't be moderated by anything.

Ya'all should read Weapons of Math Destruction. It shows how the biases in "objective" criteria may be even worse in reality than subjective bias, because at least you can fight subjective bias and force it to change. With "objective" bias, it becomes hard-baked into the system and there's no pressure to change at all. "These are objective numbers, they must be right, too bad for you."
looking at that, whites are benefiting from that subjectivity too (5% higher than if it was objective, we're 9% higher and hispanics 7%). it's asians (a minority) that are being punished by the subjectivity. it's showing that an "objective" criteria would overly reward a minority.

anyway, what i wrote probably only applies to my personal situation. i went to ucla after california ended affirmative action and i know i wouldn't have been accepted if not for my SAT score. also when it came time for a mortgage and other loans my great credit score has been there to prevent their subjectivity from coming into play. objectivity has been beneficial to me.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
looking at that, whites are benefiting from that subjectivity too (5% higher than if it was objective, we're 9% higher and hispanics 7%). it's asians (a minority) that are being punished by the subjectivity. it's showing that an "objective" criteria would overly reward a minority.

They're not being punished. :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

You roll in with the automatic assumption that SAT scores SHOULD determine who gets into college and then base everything on that. You ASSUME Black people just don't deserve to be in college. You've literally bought their narrative hook, line, and sinker.

If it's fair to arbitrarily judge students by their SAT score, then why not arbitrarily judge races by how much money they make? Like I pointed out above. What's the difference? :sas1::sas2:

The 'ol "I did fine so fukk the rest of y'all" brother. :francis: