Henry Louis Gates reputation not as good as I thought?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
So my first introduction to Henry Louis Gates was the videos he did about the Carribbean diaspora.
The videos were pretty good and I learned a little bit from them.

But then @Get These Nets posted this

I got you covered. I've been dropping pdfs & mp3s of books throughout this section of the board for the past few weeks. If I can recover an old hard drive, I'll drop a lot more.

In terms of book recommendations though.....I think this is great base of general information.
md9513545358.jpg

map_country.jpg

map.jpg

text_page.jpg

text_page2.jpg

Henry Louis Gates is a complete buffoon and tapdancer, and I don't fukk with him....... but I'd be a liar if I said that this wasn't a well put together and researched encyclopedia.

There are 3 versions of it.........a small edition 1200 pages., a large edition that is over 2000 pages and 9 lbs(the one shown above), and 5 book expand set .

The best value is the one shown above....sellers can ship through post office using media mail so you can get this book for dirt cheap from an online seller......for $15 bucks total

Anyway, this is as good a general information source about African history as there exists.....The fundamentals.

All versions came out around the turn of this century, so no modern info.....but pre 2000.

So I'm wondering what did he do to provoke that sort of response from someone? Clearly he did something or somethings very wrong. Does he have a history of c00ning out? Is his wife white? Did he say agree with slavery being a choice? What did he do? I'm genuinely curious.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
So my first introduction to Henry Louis Gates was the videos he did about the Carribbean diaspora.

So I'm wondering what did he do to provoke that sort of response from someone? Clearly he did something or somethings very wrong. Does he have a history of c00ning out? Is his wife white? Did he say agree with slavery being a choice? What did he do? I'm genuinely curious.

post #12 in this thread

The Impact Slavery Had on the American Economy

tenor.gif

Rest In Peace to Coach Green.

invalid

Banned
Daps
I’ve heard HLG speak on a number of occasions and he’s very much an elitist. I don’t get the impression that he cares much for blacks that aren’t of a certain stature which is where my distaste for him lies.

In other words, don’t hold your breath on him ever discussing the crack epidemic and the all-encompassing influence of hip hop on modern black culture. His version of history is only the history recognized by the elites, and believe me, if they can erase Hip Hop and it’s influence on black culture, they would.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I’ve heard HLG speak on a number of occasions and he’s very much an elitist. I don’t get the impression that he cares much for blacks that aren’t of a certain stature which is where my distaste for him lies.

In other words, don’t hold your breath on him ever discussing the crack epidemic and the all-encompassing influence of hip hop on modern black culture. His version of history is only the history recognized by the elites, and believe me, if they can erase Hip Hop and it’s influence on black culture, they would.

I've gotten the impression from him that he is VERY much ashamed of his family roots and humble background. He was "adopted" by white east coast elite academia....which is why he fights for & defends them so strongly. "They" are his real parents....in his mind. .
I mean, the MFer gave HIMSELF the nickname of "Skip".

I've been trying to get his "find your roots" show off the air for a while now.........

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
I think some of y'all are just projecting. I noticed there is an unspoken resentment for suscessful black people.

Some Black people always attack their achievements as illegitimate and that there must be some white entity guiding their
Success behind the scenes.:mjpls:

These people are the type of people that are never happy for black excellence stories. They always mention something negative. :mjpls:

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Daps
The videos were pretty good and I learned a little bit from them.

He used to go around saying and writing articles about Black people making up racial profiling. That's of course until he finally got his c00n wake up call at his own home of all places.

And him also bragging to white people about how he was 57% european. BTW he stole that Afro latino documentary idea.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I think some of y'all are just projecting. I noticed there is an unspoken resentment for suscessful black people.

Some Black people always attack their achievements as illegitimate and that there must be some white entity guiding their
Success behind the scenes.:mjpls:

These people are the type of people that are never happy for black excellence stories. They always mention something negative. :mjpls:
read this thread and post #5

The OTHER Nat Turner film controversy

Gates has been the go to tapdancer for years. Been called out for it for years from other professors and successful Black people.
In the thread above, there was an old controversy about a white southerner,William Styron, writing a fictionalized account of Nat Turner's final days*. Blacks in academia and publishing (successful Black people as you define them) called him out and were able to block a hollywood adaptation of the book. Gates recounts his take on the time the writer visited his college campus.

*Styron added homosexual theme to the story,of course.

invalid

Banned
Daps
I send PBS a complaint letter every 3 months, asking them to get rid of the finding your roots tv hosted by Gates. He was publicly exposed as a fraud and professional tap dancer and has no credibility.

Bruh.....................:dead:
You really with the shyts.:heh: I guess enough was enough, huh-lol.

I've gotten the impression from him that he is VERY much ashamed of his family roots and humble background. He was "adopted" by white east coast elite academia....which is why he fights for & defends them so strongly. "They" are his real parents....in his mind. .
I mean, the MFer gave HIMSELF the nickname of "Skip".

It's funny that you say this because about ten minutes ago, I would have disagreed with you. I wasn't aware of the personal details of his family life. What I know about his family is only what has been mentioned about them out of his own mouth every single time I've heard him speak.

At every speaking engagement I've attended, he does this thing where, before discussions really start, he makes a strings of statements that, in my mind, can only serve as a way of distinguishing both him and his family out from the rest of the black masses, to the audience he's addressing, as magical negroes.

I've heard on multiple occassions him saying two specific things that struck out odd to me for the simple fact that they were completely unrelated to the conversation. The first was "I'm a Redman descendant who were free blacks that were never slaves" and "the Gates have always been Episcopalian". I never got this. If you know anything about OKOP, "free black" and "episcopalian" is of their ilk, but then I go and wiki and see that his father was a janitor and mother did housework and now it all makes sense. He's definitely ashamed of his humble background and uses these statements in a way to compensate for his parents shortcomings.

He's definitely an elitist. He's definitely a status seeker who wants to be the go-to negro on all things black history. He sees himself as the intellectual successor of WEB Dubois. I'm not denying his talents and the things that he is good at, but his character traits leave much to be desired.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Bruh.....................:dead:
You really with the shyts.:heh: I guess enough was enough, huh-lol.

It's funny that you say this because about ten minutes ago, I would have disagreed with you. I wasn't aware of the personal details of his family life. What I know about his family is only what has been mentioned about them out of his own mouth every single time I've heard him speak.

At every speaking engagement I've attended, he does this thing where, before discussions really start, he makes a strings of statements that, in my mind, can only serve as a way of distinguishing both him and his family out from the rest of the black masses, to the audience he's addressing, as magical negroes.

I've heard on multiple occassions him saying two specific things that struck out odd to me for the simple fact that they were completely unrelated to the conversation. The first was "I'm a Redman descendant who were free blacks that were never slaves" and "the Gates have always been Episcopalian". I never got this. If you know anything about OKOP, "free black" and "episcopalian" is of their ilk, but then I go and wiki and see that his father was a janitor and mother did housework and now it all makes sense. He's definitely ashamed of his humble background and uses these statements in a way to compensate for his parents shortcomings.

He's definitely an elitist. He's definitely a status seeker who wants to be the go-to negro on all things black history. He sees himself as the intellectual successor of WEB Dubois. I'm not denying his talents and the things that he is good at, but his character traits leave much to be desired.
We can have an entire forum about these professors and dept. chairs and who their true allegiances are to.

The Gates story surprises me a bit, though it shouldn't. He's reinventing his past and creating links to a segment of society that I didn't think he hand links to.
The Episcopalian thing and old money Blacks is something that I call them out about(every chance I get).
It went over my head the first 5-10 times I heard it, but I figured it out after a while. ...and like the Gates...they would volunteer the information in conversations unrelated to church or religion.
Now, when they bring it up..."We're Episc."...I correct them.."You're AME, not Episcopalian, right""They formed AME because Episc. church was discriminating against the Free Blacks, correct ?"
Wipes the smugness off their faces right away.

Only once did somebody say "no, we worship at so & so Episcopalian Church"....wiped the smile off my face.

I took a class about the Black church...and what denomination church you attend historically aligns with social class...and region.
I laughed in class because I grew up sometimes attending church in the denomination that was listed for the lowest rung....COGIC.

Last edited: