Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
If you make a custom GPT and upload the proper documents it will give legal word vomit you can edit into a decent statement of facts . You maybe can use it to evaluate other cases but you would still have to do a lot of writing to make sure the right cases are being quoted and everything forms the argument you want to make. Same for writing an application.

The issue is Lexis and Westlaw got all the data, and they arent dumb, they wont let the ai replace lawyers because lawyers pay them exorbitant fees. It takes just as much billable hours now as then, and is essentially a template builder.

It's not going to replace a lawyer anytime soon. I mean shyt I wouldn't fully trust it to create a case grid, let alone something I am putting in front of a judge. Like I said before you end up spending time editing instead of writing and like most AI I think that is the end result, now instead of writing briefs you have to edit them.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
If you make a custom GPT and upload the proper documents it will give legal word vomit you can edit into a decent statement of facts . You maybe can use it to evaluate other cases but you would still have to do a lot of writing to make sure the right cases are being quoted and everything forms the argument you want to make. Same for writing an application.

The issue is Lexis and Westlaw got all the data, and they arent dumb, they wont let the ai replace lawyers because lawyers pay them exorbitant fees. It takes just as much billable hours now as then, and is essentially a template builder.

It's not going to replace a lawyer anytime soon. I mean shyt I wouldn't fully trust it to create a case grid, let alone something I am putting in front of a judge. Like I said before you end up spending time editing instead of writing and like most AI I think that is the end something instead of writing briefs you have to edit them.

are you using one type of model?

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
are you using one type of model?
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to explore different models. It's not a word issue it's a content issue. Sure It can synthesize cases but can it apply multiple cases to various facts and then make the argument that overall this is why precedent says the rule should be interpreted in my clients favor? My whole brief is me just building a cohesive argument, using little passive aggressive things to try and reiterate my point of view and undercut what I think opposing counsel is trying to do. That is a lot to ask of a LLM.

You could break it up, use different prompts, review different results, and get what you want, but then you still got to use your own judgement and sew it all back together. It’s gonna take the same amount of time, and Westlaw and Lexis still gonna get their cut. Dont even get me started on the legal terms that LLM and spell check will autocorrect, but have actual legal meaning.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to explore different models. It's not a word issue it's a content issue. Sure It can synthesize cases but can it apply multiple cases to various facts and then make the argument that overall this is why precedent says the rule should be interpreted in my clients favor? My whole brief is me just building a cohesive argument, using little passive aggressive things to try and reiterate my point of view and undercut what I think opposing counsel is trying to do. That is a lot to ask of a LLM.

You could break it up, use different prompts, review different results, and get what you want, but then you still got to use your own judgement and sew it all back together. It’s gonna take the same amount of time, and Westlaw and Lexis still gonna get their cut. Dont even get me started on the legal terms that LLM and spell check will autocorrect, but have actual legal meaning.

thats insightful :ehh:

make use of double quotes for uncommon terms and even names. do you have some dummy data as an example or prompt you can share?

try a system prompt like "do not autocorrect or modify any words" or "do not autocorrect or modify any words, assume uncommon words are legal terms."

edit:
generated by clause 3 haiku
Prompt:
I am providing you with a legal document that contains specialized terminology, including Latin phrases. Please analyze the document, but do not attempt to correct, modify, or autocorrect any of the legal or Latin terms, even if they appear misspelled or unconventional. Preserve the original language and formatting of the document exactly as it is presented. Treat all Latin and legal phrases as intentional and do not make any changes to them. Provide your analysis while strictly maintaining the integrity of the legal terminology and formatting.

Last edited:

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
thats insightful :ehh:

make use of double quotes for uncommon terms and even names. do you have some dummy data as an example or prompt you can share?

try a system prompt like "do not autocorrect or modify any words" or "do not autocorrect or modify any words, assume uncommon words are legal terms."
Can you explain the double quotes for uncommon terms? I’m willing to give it a try. I still think the content/logic/subtle subversive aspects of legal writing is outside the scope but this could help.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Can you explain the double quotes for uncommon terms? I’m willing to give it a try. I still think the content/logic/subtle subversive aspects of legal writing is outside the scope but this could help.

use double quotes or even single quotes to be explicit about what you're referring to so it doesn't attempt to autocorrect anything and feed it additional context.

used the claude haiku model

you have to provide context and specify key terms and names in your prompts to reduce hallucinations.

edit:
partial screenshot of text
wP7CBZg.png

you don't have to use double quotes for the same word repeate4dly like I did above but once or twice should be enough to get the point across. you might want to look into find and replace browser extensions for the batch processing words in quotations.

I amended the other prompt:
I am providing you with a legal document that contains specialized terminology, including Latin phrases. Please analyze the document, but do not attempt to correct, modify, or autocorrect any of the legal or Latin terms, even if they appear misspelled or unconventional. Preserve the original language and formatting of the document exactly as it is presented. Treat all Latin and legal phrases as intentional and do not make any changes to them. Provide your analysis while strictly maintaining the integrity of the legal terminology and formatting. REPLY WITH: [To get started, please go ahead and provide the specific legal document(s) you would like me to analyze. I will be sure to follow the instructions you've outlined above and preserve the original language, even if it includes unusual legal or Latin terms.]

you would start off with that prompt and then after it replies, start chatting.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
@Wargames see if you find this useful
created by claude3 haiku

Here is a more comprehensive, generic prompt for using an AI system like ChatGPT to assist with legal document drafting:

I am an attorney working on a [type of legal matter, e.g. civil litigation, corporate transaction, etc.] and I need your help drafting a [specific legal document, e.g. motion to dismiss, merger agreement, etc.].

Please review the following case files, legal documents, and examples that I have provided:
[List of relevant materials]

Using this information, I would like you to draft a [document type] that meets the following requirements:

Structure and Format:
- The document should be structured in the standard format and style expected by the [court/jurisdiction/industry standards], including appropriate sections, headings, and formatting.
- The tone and language should be professional, persuasive, and tailored to the intended audience (e.g. judge, opposing counsel, client, etc.).

Content Requirements:
1. Statement of Facts:
- Provide a detailed summary of the key facts and background information relevant to this matter, based on the provided case files.
- Ensure the facts are presented in a clear, logical, and compelling manner.

2. Legal Analysis:
- Identify the primary legal standards, precedents, and authorities that apply to this case or transaction.
- Summarize the key elements of the relevant law and how they relate to the facts of this matter.
- Outline the main legal arguments, reasoning, and conclusions that support the desired outcome.

3. Requested Relief/Outcome:
- Clearly state the specific legal action or outcome being sought (e.g. dismissal of claims, approval of merger, etc.).
- Explain how the presented facts and legal analysis justify the requested relief.

4. Additional Considerations:
- Flag any areas where you are unsure or believe human review and refinement would be beneficial.
- Explain your reasoning and decision-making process for the key elements of the document, such as the legal arguments, case law citations, and overall strategy.

Please provide an initial draft of the [document type] based on the instructions above. I will review your work and provide feedback. We can then collaborate to refine and finalize the document to ensure it meets all requirements and presents the strongest possible case.

Let me know if you have any other questions as you work on this project. I'm here to provide guidance and support throughout the drafting process.

OR​

Got it, here's an updated comprehensive prompt that requires the user to provide the relevant legal documents after the initial prompt:

"I am an attorney working on a [type of legal matter, e.g. civil litigation, corporate transaction, etc.] and I need your help drafting a [specific legal document, e.g. motion to dismiss, merger agreement, etc.].

Please provide the following case files, legal documents, and examples that I will need for this project:
[Prompt user to enter list of relevant materials]

Once you have provided those materials, I would like you to draft a [document type] that meets the following requirements:

Structure and Format:
- The document should be structured in the standard format and style expected by the [court/jurisdiction/industry standards], including appropriate sections, headings, and formatting.
- The tone and language should be professional, persuasive, and tailored to the intended audience (e.g. judge, opposing counsel, client, etc.).

Content Requirements:
1. Statement of Facts:
- Provide a detailed summary of the key facts and background information relevant to this matter, based on the provided case files.
- Ensure the facts are presented in a clear, logical, and compelling manner.

2. Legal Analysis:
- Identify the primary legal standards, precedents, and authorities that apply to this case or transaction.
- Summarize the key elements of the relevant law and how they relate to the facts of this matter.
- Outline the main legal arguments, reasoning, and conclusions that support the desired outcome.

3. Requested Relief/Outcome:
- Clearly state the specific legal action or outcome being sought (e.g. dismissal of claims, approval of merger, etc.).
- Explain how the presented facts and legal analysis justify the requested relief.

4. Additional Considerations:
- Flag any areas where you are unsure or believe human review and refinement would be beneficial.
- Explain your reasoning and decision-making process for the key elements of the document, such as the legal arguments, case law citations, and overall strategy.

Please provide an initial draft of the [document type] based on the instructions above and the materials you have provided. I will review your work and provide feedback. We can then collaborate to refine and finalize the document to ensure it meets all requirements and presents the strongest possible case.

Here is the updated prompt that requires the user to provide the necessary legal documents and materials:

Using the provided case files, legal documents, and examples, please draft a [type of legal document, e.g. motion to dismiss] for the [case name/details].

First, please provide the following case files, legal documents, and examples that I will need for this project:
[Prompt user to enter list of relevant materials]

Once you have provided those materials, please proceed with drafting the [document type] as follows:

1. Provide a detailed statement of facts based on the provided case information.

2. Summarize the key legal standards, precedents, and authorities that are most relevant to this case.

3. Outline the main arguments and reasoning for why [requested legal action, e.g. dismissal] is warranted, citing the applicable law and precedents.

4. Structure the document in the appropriate format and tone for submission to the [court/jurisdiction].

5. Highlight any areas where you are unsure or where you believe human review and refinement would be beneficial.

6. Explain your reasoning and decision-making process for the key elements of the document, such as the legal arguments, case law citations, and overall strategy.

Please provide this in draft form initially. I will review your work, provide feedback, and then ask you to revise and refine the document based on my input. The goal is to collaborate and iterate to produce a high-quality, legally sound [document type] that meets the court's requirements.

Last edited: