Hey brehs, help me decide my next job & the steps to take to be qualified for it

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Background
I think I've hit my ceiling as an entry-level analyst. The only thing I see in my future are annual raises that would underperform a cost of living adjustment. I've saved up an emergency fund, so in the spring, I plan to finally quit my job. I've been working for 7 years straight and so I want to take a month or three to decompress.

My ideal lifestyle would be trading my own money in the stock market. I will be doing that during my unemployed period but I know how improbable it is long term, so I also plan to teach myself the skills required to demand more money. The question I have is what skills are required and what path should I take to get there?

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Current Skillset
  • Proficient in:
    • Excel
    • SQL
    • VBA
  • Exposed to (But do not use regularly)
    • R
    • Power BI
Some Potential Job ideas:
In terms of my job, I prefer a job that gives me autonomy and independence if desired. As long as I can put my earphones in and listen to music/podcasts in the background, I'm content. Ideas that crossed my mind include:

Analyst job: My statistical background is sub-par currently but after a few months of studying, I could confidently apply to jobs with a polished skillset.
Database-related job: Given my current use of SQL, building on an existing skillset is a legit option.
Coding/Developer job: I have had little exposure to coding so far, but I am a natural problem solver so if it pays the bills, I wouldn't mind it.
?????: I'm currently still pretty open-minded if anyone has suggestions.

Course of Action
Going back to school for a degree is not desirable if possible. I want to be efficient & self-sufficient so, to me I'd rather do things like online courses, read textbooks and get certifications.

But yeah, I'm very curious to hear other people's opinion on what I should/shouldn't be doing. I could be going about this all wrong. Any info on certs or other prerequisites would be helpful. Feel free to share how you got more money

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Why can't you move past being an entry level analyst either at your current company or another? If you're truly proficient in SQL I would go the DBA route.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This isn't what you're expecting to hear, but I've actually developed an interest in analytics. You mind giving your 2 cents on the pros and cons of it, for someone looking to get into that field?
What I like the most about analytics is that the vast majority of the knowledge and software are open-sourced or consumer facing. All you need to become proficient is time, dedication and an internet connection. I think that the industry is future proofed and allows you to look at the world in a more logical perspective personally.

The more analytical tasks that my team tackles typically involve modeling and account for as many variables as possible, while at the same time trying to translate and measure expectations for the end user. I can't speak from the perspective of an extremely tech-focused company, but in my company, there is a general consensus that no one outside of our department truly understands what we do.

It provides a bit of an insulation from criticism, but at the same time, if something breaks or is incorrect, the people not familiar with the inner-workings don't always care if you got 999 out of 1,000 lines of code right.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Can't you do analytics for a wide variety of industries and keep moving up?
Yes I can. There is a slight issue though (see below)

Why can't you move past being an entry level analyst either at your current company or another?
Up until I was hired in my current role (via internal promotion) I had no analytical background outside of being a natural problem solver. All of my professional experience has been learned on the job and so my skillset is - as far as I'm aware - uniquely tailored to my current company's needs. I know that I am adaptable and I can learn anything in the long run, but I get the feeling that my skillset isn't translatable to a generic analytical role in a new company.

With regards to getting a promotion in my current company, it feels kind of like graduating college and then going back to live in the town you went to high school... They knew me "back when" and so I think that clouds their judgement in terms of what I bring to the table in ways I think that a new company would not. I got a huge pay bump after a year in my new role, but since then raises have been pretty predictable and uninspiring.

One other thought is that an internal promotion would force me to mentally reinvest into a company that I checked out on a while ago. I still do more than enough to get by, but I don't have the incentive to establish that I should get more money, work my manager to create a plan to increase my pay and then study/execute that plan. I don't see any feasible way in establishing myself as an employee that warrants a six-figure paycheck anytime soon, nor am I interested in doing so... It's kinda like being content with a jump-off... if I suddenly wanted to get married, I would try and find someone that is marriage material instead of trying to make my jump off marriage material.

I think that quitting my job allows me to see the forest for the trees in terms of what I want to do with my life and at the same time lets me strengthen my resume.
If you're truly proficient in SQL I would go the DBA route.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by truly proficient? The more I type about analytical skills, the more I think that is the easier path to continue tracking against, but I am do have an interest in SQL and don't want to rule that out prematurely.

Really appreciate the comments so far. I know most internet comments are throwaways and seem unimportant but this has the potential to shape my future and my future earning potential. Please feel free to respond to anything I've said or you've read because I'm still weighing everything and trying to reach a conclusion.