High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

NYC’s Royal Rib House Dynasty | Family Food​

Apr 2, 2024
Jason Barnett has taken the reins from his parents and is now running Royal Rib House, a beloved BBQ mainstay in Bed Stuy, Brooklyn that’s been serving up the best ribs since Jason’s Grandpa Calvin opened the restaurant in the 60s. Staying true to Grandpa Calvin’s original recipes, Jason and his parents offer slow-cooked rotisserie chicken, chopped pork and chicken, and their specialty rotisserie pork ribs with Calvin’s Secret Sauce which have kept customers coming back for decades

THEY BACK!!!!!

I"M SO HAPPY!!

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Philadelphians Try Each Other's Philly Cheesesteaks​

Jan 22, 2024
We asked three Philly natives to prepare their best cheesesteak to see who will be crowned winner for the most authentic and true bred dish. They will each judge each other’s recipes and Big Dave’s Cheesesteak founder, Derrick Hayes, will give his two cents for the final vote!

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Unc & Ocho draft their favorite soul food dishes | Nightcap​

May 17, 2024
In a new segment called Rough Draft, Shannon Sharpe and Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson draft their favorite soul food dishes

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
So, forget Oreos.....eat DMC cookies

image-9.png

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

June 5, 2024

The Series​

“The Reheat” is a video series that highlights Microsoft support for Black and African American businesses. We kick off the series with one of social media’s most influential voices, food critic Keith Lee, to spotlight three restaurants that have skyrocketed after Keith’s viral reviews.

With new ratings from Keith, Copilot and other AI-powered tools, the episodes highlight some of the ups and downs that come with a surge in popularity.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

How a Dynamic Duo Is Leading the Culinary Institute of America Into a New Era of Diversity​

This 77-year old culinary institution is changing for the better, with an eye toward respecting food traditions around the globe
FW-GameChangers-RosharaAndRupa-FT-BLOG-0604-8db48d52e64041fa8a0028b1879e9f08.jpg

June 5, 2024
“I am my ancestors’ wildest dreams,” says Roshara Sanders. At 29, the Army veteran and Chopped winner became the first Black woman to teach culinary arts at the nation’s foremost chefs’ school, the Culinary Institute of America. Five years on, Sanders remains one of four Black instructors on a faculty of 210. Still, her work there represents “a pivotal point in the CIA’s history,” says School of Culinary Arts Dean Brendan Walsh, as the institution begins, ever so slowly, to answer student demands and rectify the historic imbalance on its faculty and in its curriculum.

In 2020, the students of CIA’s Black Culinarian Society successfully lobbied for the CIA to teach Africa’s influence on American cuisine. Adding to the list of existing concentrations in Asian, Japanese, Latin, and Mediterranean cuisines, advisers led by High on the Hog author Dr. Jessica B. Harris created an outline for the new course “Cuisines and Cultures of Africa and its Diaspora in the Americas.” Sanders was tapped into building the curriculum, and this spring, students began tackling it.

“I cried many days as I read about my own culture because there were a lot of things I didn’t know,” says Sanders. “In a time when you have states where you can’t even talk about race, the school is doing something earth-shattering.”
Pair that with the work of another queer woman of color at CIA, and you have the beginnings of institutional change. “We’re trying to shift the way diversity is seen,” says Rupa Bhattacharya, executive director for CIA’s Strategic Initiatives Group, which brings health care and food professionals together through research, training, and conferences that promote nutritional health and sustainability.

With Bhattacharya at its helm, the Strategic Initiatives Group has broadened its approach to sustainability, says Taylor Reid, chair of CIA’s Farming and Food Systems Program. “It’s economic, environmental, and social. She’s bringing in that social aspect. How can we ensure our idea of sustainability doesn’t leave people behind?”

In 2023, Bhattacharya organized CIA’s Worlds of Flavor conference around reframing culinary authenticity in an interconnected, intersectional world, in order “to look at people as a whole,” says Bhattacharya. “Traditional authenticity can be a trap for chefs of color. The question is not: ‘Does this Chinese restaurant do dumplings like in Chengdu,’ but, ‘Is this true to the chef’s experience?’”
Her group is infusing cultural relevance and community empowerment into all of its programming. The work is deeply personal for Bhattacharya. “My mom stopped cooking because her doctor here told her Bengali fish, vegetables, and rice is a bad diet.

Generational loss happened to me,” she says. “For lots of people, what we talk about as ‘exotic’ is food. At the CIA, we are treating that food as fundamental, giving appropriate respect to all kinds of diets.”
Indian Takeout: Bringing the Flavors of Calcutta to Rhode Island in a Suitcase
And with food on the table, broadening CIA’s focus is cause for celebration. “Making sure there is space for optimism, joy, and care is the most critical thing I do,” says Bhattacharya.
Sanders concurs: “Even hard conversations about racism and colonization can be softened a bit by food.”

There is much work ahead to serve CIA’s more than 3,000 students. “We have students from everywhere: India, South Korea, Argentina, Brazil, Canada — all stretches of the world,” says Black Culinarian Society president Montana Brumfield. “We could do better with showcasing our diversity.”

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Cathy's Kitchen, 10 Years After Unrest in Ferguson | Living St. Louis​

May 20, 2024
Since the unrest after the shooting death of Michael Brown ten years ago, Cathy's Kitchen in Ferguson has not only survived but built a business that is part of the economic revival of the north county community

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Tim is featured @16:15

Season 3 The Great American Recipe
June 17, 2024
848dd0da0e_301_0596%20Group%20Shot.jpeg

Tim Harris (Fort Mill, South Carolina) grew up living all over the world as a “military brat” until his father retired from a 27-year career in the US Air Force, and the family settled back in the Carolinas when Tim was 12. Influenced by his Dutch mother, as well as his paternal Southern Grandmama’s cooking, Tim developed an appreciation and a taste for many different types of cuisines at an early age. Now married with two children and a career in insurance, Tim uses his cooking to bring people together and spread community and positivity through his dishes. Creative and willing to try anything in the kitchen, he loves to grill, smoke meat, and feature fresh seafood from the Carolinas’ coastal waters along with bold flavors. Tim’s signature dish is his Lowcountry-Style Shrimp and Cheesy Grits

Last edited: