Hiring an interior designer

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Has anyone hired an interior designer before? I started working on my living room (which is split into a living room and office/work space), but I quickly realized I'm bad at this, lol.

• Where'd did you find them?
  • How much does it cost?
  • What type of ideas do they ask you about?

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Has anyone hired an interior designer before? I started working on my living room (which is split into a living room and office/work space), but I quickly realized I'm bad at this, lol.

• Where'd did you find them?
  • How much does it cost?
  • What type of ideas do they ask you about?

my ol lady handled hiring a designer and decorating when we bought our crib.

Responses to your questions tho:
  • Thumbtack
  • I wanna say no more than $2K for her services, obviously the biggest expense was furniture which was $10k+ for table, chairs, bedroom furniture, art etc
  • She made a digital rendering of the areas we wanted designed and showed us furniture, paint, wallpaper etc. She even helped install the wallpaper in areas we wallpapered
If you can afford it go for it, it definitely gave our house some character and vision that we wouldn't have had otherwise. Plus they might be able to get you discounts and plugs on items and services. We got our handyman thru the designer

Since your space isn't the entire crib like mine you probably will pay wayyy less than we did. I'd seek out set designers from tv/film tho, they know how to turn limited spaces into masterpieces on a budget

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
my ol lady handled hiring a designer and decorating when we bought our crib.

Responses to your questions tho:
  • Thumbtack
  • I wanna say no more than $2K for her services, obviously the biggest expense was furniture which was $10k+ for table, chairs, bedroom furniture, art etc
  • She made a digital rendering of the areas we wanted designed and showed us furniture, paint, wallpaper etc. She even helped install the wallpaper in areas we wallpapered
If you can afford it go for it, it definitely gave our house some character and vision that we wouldn't have had otherwise. Plus they might be able to get you discounts and plugs on items and services. We got our handyman thru the designer

Since your space isn't the entire crib like mine you probably will pay wayyy less than we did. I'd seek out set designers from tv/film tho, they know how to turn limited spaces into masterpieces on a budget
Thanks, much appreciated. Didn't even think about designers that might be in tv/film. I think I just want to the living room and the bedroom for my apartment. It seems my preference is industrial, based on some other website I found when I was just googling.

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Thanks, much appreciated. Didn't even think about designers that might be in tv/film. I think I just want to the living room and the bedroom for my apartment. It seems my preference is industrial, based on some other website I found when I was just googling.

Knowing your preference is good, that'll at least help them give you some ides

Not sure if you're familiar with it, but the subreddit malelivingspace might give some inspiration

I wish I would've been more creative when I lived alone. I was bare bones with cheap furniture, no art, nothing smh lol

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I hired one for my living room/dining room/kitchen (semi open concept). She charged a flat fee (3k) for her services and we paid a trade rate for the lighting and furniture. The whole shabang was about 12k total but I feel like I traded money for the frustration and headache of choosing furniture.