HITS 5/24: Tyler The Creator #1 145-170k SPS, DJ Khaled 110-135k

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do u mean thats not true....I see them doing it all the time on Youtube.
:heh:

They even have a term for it called "Unboxing"

:mjlol:

YouTube stopped being a representation of what these people actually have interest in the minute people found out they can get famous off it, breh.

Unboxing/haul videos have been around for forever, and most of them shyts are just for show.

I'm not saying that no one buys albums anymore. I'm saying that using actual sales as a metric as to whether or not someone actually has fans stopped being the be-all end-all thing to follow the instant that labels decided that actually purchasing music is optional. There are plenty of ways fans have chosen to express their fandom (both financially and not), that have nothing to do with buying an album. shyt's just different now.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm not saying that no one buys albums anymore. I'm saying that using actual sales as a metric as to whether or not someone actually has fans stopped being the be-all end-all thing to follow the instant that labels decided that actually purchasing music is optional. There are plenty of ways fans have chosen to express their fandom (both financially and not), that have nothing to do with buying an album. shyt's just different now.

I disagree. A real fan puts up money to show support. U sound like someone who is just used to getting music for free justifying your own actions while not acknowledging that fans still show support with the dollar. Thats why Eminem can always depend on great first week sales because he has a loyal fanbase that puts up the money. Same with Adele and Rihanna. Thats why vinyl is so expensive because people are buying them. My thing is this...If u talking all this "Well Megan is gonna grow her fan base" nonesense, defending Megan like a fan....Sticking up for her like a fan.... but u not actually going in ya pockets then u aint really saying shyt.

Another reason I disagree with u is because Ghostface pretty much says the same thing in his rant about having Myspace followers claiming they love him but not showing support with the dollar. Eminem never had to make videos like this because, again, his loyal fan base shows support with the dollar.

And I'm not going back and forth about this....So u can have the last word.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I disagree. A real fan puts up money to show support. U sound like someone who is just used to getting music for free justifying your own actions while not acknowledging that fans still show support with the dollar. Thats why Eminem can always depend on great first week sales because he has a loyal fanbase that puts up the money. Same with Adele and Rihanna. Thats why vinyl is so expensive because people are buying them. My thing is this...If u talking all this "Well Megan is gonna grow her fan base" nonesense, defending Megan like a fan....Sticking up for her like a fan.... but u not actually going in ya pockets then u aint really saying shyt.

Another reason I disagree with u is because Ghostface pretty much says the same thing in his rant about having Myspace followers claiming they love him but not showing support with the dollar. Eminem never had to make videos like this because, again, his loyal fan base shows support with the dollar.

And I'm not going back and forth about this....So u can have the last word.

Alright, man. We can agree to disagree.

I'm just saying that we're essentially comparing different eras of football against each other at this point. The game is different enough that players from then and now need to be evaluated differently.

You can't compare artists with fanbases largely consisting of people ingrained into the album release and purchase cycle because that's what we HAD to do, to those with fanbases that can't tell you what the difference is between an album and a mixtape, and have had purchasing as an optional way to consume the music for a significant portion of their lives.

But it is what it is, breh. I still buy music I feel strongly about, and I'm glad to see someone else take pride in it too. We just can't assume that all enthusiasts express their support in the same way now.