Honorable breh becomes the 15th amendment in flesh and blood

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
The Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the federal government and each state from denying or abridging a citizen's right to vote "on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude." It was ratified on February 3, 1870, as the third and last of the Reconstruction Amendments.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Thread on the HBCU he established

Notable Alumni:
Alex Haley - acclaimed journalist and novelist (Roots) as well as Malcolm X autobiographer
180px-Alex_Haley.jpg

Medgar Evers - assassinated NAACP leader
Medgar_Evers.jpg

Steve McNair - former Titans and Ravens QB
mcnair-and-mvp.jpg

Joseph Dunbar - diabetes researcher
dunbar.jpg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Had to add this vid on here

I remember when this aired, and the Reconstruction pbs special they mention.
Mentors of ours had us watch snippets of Birth of a Nation when we were teens. Told us that we would understand it later.
That film was the biggest piece of propaganda bullshyt, and appealed to different things that whites feared: armed Black men, and Black men holding political office. That CBS clip shows the scene from the film depicting them as drunks and buffoons.
Since becoming an adult, have remembered this when seeing/reading about white people trying to undermine and question Blacks in leadership positions.

That film plays into this thread discussion in another way. Racist southerners were humiliated during Reconstruction, so BOAN revising history on screen encouraged them to revise History in real life. Making up shyt and adding fictionalized account of slavery, the Civil war and Reconstruction to books and school curricula. Putting up statues of confederate military leaders, and such.

Some of my mentors said that the end of Reconstruction/beginning of jim crow era turned the clock back so much that even with the CRM victories that AAs hadn't regained ground since then. And these were men who were Southern born and Northern raised.
The thoughts of what could have been makes covering that period of time complicated, so it's avoided sometimes.
Didn't fully understand when they were saying this to us, but I get it as an adult.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
I remember when this aired, and the Reconstruction pbs special they mention.
Mentors of ours had us watch snippets of Birth of a Nation when we were teens. Told us that we would understand it later.
That film was the biggest piece of propaganda bullshyt, and appealed to different things that whites feared: armed Black men, and Black men holding political office. That CBS clip shows the scene from the film depicting them as drunks and buffoons.
Since becoming an adult, have remembered this when seeing/reading about white people trying to undermine and question Blacks in leadership positions.

That film plays into this thread discussion in another way. Racist southerners were humiliated during Reconstruction, so BOAN revising history on screen encouraged them to revise History in real life. Making up shyt and adding fictionalized account of slavery, the Civil war and Reconstruction to books and school curricula. Putting up statues of confederate military leaders, and such.

Some of my mentors said that the end of Reconstruction/beginning of jim crow era turned the clock back so much that even with the CRM victories that AAs hadn't regained ground since then. And these were men who were Southern born and Northern raised.
The thoughts of what could have been makes covering that period of time complicated, so it's avoided sometimes.
Didn't fully understand when they were saying this to us, but I get it as an adult.

I think this is one of the main reasons Hiram Revels nationally and state wide his accomplishments have been suppressed. :beli:
Understand, that Alcorn was functioning as a 4 year degree granting public institution for blacks to be on par with Ole Miss. There was no other University in the country using state/ landgrant funds for the edification of blacks. Alcorn State is unique being the only HBCU to utilize both 1862 and 1890 Morrill Acts. It was a very radical concept.l during this time. Other state funded hbcus operated as normal colleges at best.
There were no statues etc of him anywhere in the nation or in the state, until 2023, and that's because our former University president pushed for a church in Natchez to commemorate him. She also brought historian Eric Foner down to the State Capitol to recognize his place in history.
Saying that I believe my HBCU is "prohibited" from honoring him appropriately with a bust etc by the state. The reason I say this is because when we erected the larger than life Medgar Evers statue on campus, the state was very upset with then President C. Brown. It is not officially stated but that is largely why he was ousted from Alcorn imo. He spoke about this on an interview on HBCU digest some years ago.
Hiram Revels planted a seed of political accomplishment via integration and a seed of higher educational attainment for Blacks which has grown into a larger body of 1890 HBCU landgrant system institutions today.