HOT 97 Debates Whether There Are Better Rappers Than Jay-Z

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
This has nothing to do with which album is better. It just means that one album attracted more casual fans.
you can indeed use album sales when comparing 2 or more artist that have similar status at the time
in which 96 - 98 both was on sorta the same level... you can even say Nas was the bigger artist at the time
now i wouldn’t use sales years later, ei early to mid 00’s cause Jay was a bonafide superstar
and again it’s not the most important factor but one selling 2milly while the other did 5milly needs to be put out

This has nothing to do with which album is better. It’s not like they were playing the whole albums on the radio. Vol 2 had bigger singles. That doesn’t mean it’s a better album.
has a lot to do with it.... this was Hot 97 where hip hop lived (Hot9 was to nyc what the source mag was to the country)
not some radio station that that played a few hip hop joints here & there

I’ll have to take your word for that. But it makes sense to me. Vol 2 was way more commercial and club ready. Doesn’t mean it’s a better album, unless club friendly rap is your thing.
nah homie
this is nyc of da 90’s ... da tunnel & speed was fulled with hip hop heads in baggy jean & timberland boots on
this wasn’t some fancy dress up club that played commercial shyt

I can’t speak to what was going on in NY at that time. In 96 out here in CA, it was Pac all day everyday. Nas got a little burn. In 98 I was in college so completely different environment.
This is actually a legit factor but it’s all anectodal.
i’m telling you, Vol.2 got way more burn in dem streets then IWW

That’s one song. You thinking of the title track?
Hard Knock Life more iconic than anything on IWW

Who cares? Which song are you even referring to?
featured song on a Blockbuster movie

:PGucci:
Live :pdahellclean::havdahell:Rap >>>
Affirmative Action >>>>

Reservoir Dogs >>>>

hold this L

You gotta be kidding me :prodigylol:
IWW had way harder songs :dame:

Look at the albums as a whole.
IWW has way better rhyming and production.
It has some of Nas’ best songs ever.

It’s just not even close.

Money, Cash, Hoes

i should start calling you LL...... cause you keep getting them