#HotTake...how Rakim a GOAT but go damn near two decades with NOBODY checking for him??

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
Let's be clear, Ra's place in hip-hop ain't on trial. So, I mean no disrespect. His legacy is certified. He's released classics and created a style for a lot of nikkas' favorite rappers to run with. He's quite simply one of the greatest and most influential rappers ever.

BUT...

And there's a big one

j-lo.jpg

As much love and respect as Rakim gets, there is this glaring reality...

No one has cared about his music for a very, very long time. Ain't nobody patiently, anxiously waiting for Ra to spit 16s on the mic anymore.

He allegedly dropped an album that came and went in 2009. In fact, the most notable thing he did in the past 15 years is catch feelings about Nas's UBR.

Of course, Ra did most of his heavy lifting with Eric B. in the late 80s and early 90s: Paid in Full ('87), Follow the Leader ('88), Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em ('90), and Don't Sweat the Technique ('92). Not to mention '97's "solo effort," The 18th Letter.

But what the fukk has he done lately. I know, I know, there's a lot of old heads that ain't dropping music or ain't releasing shyt that a lot of nikkas want to hear. And you're right--this thread could have easily been about Kane. Or even rappers who are in the GOAT convo, as well, but still not releasing music that is actually reaching the masses--e.g. KRS, LL.

When you break it down purely by age, he is no more an "old head" than anyone else from the so-called golden age. Rakim's more like a peer to a lot of the nikkas we think are in contention for GOAT status. Son is just 47 years old.

That's a year older than Jay-Z.

Only five years older than Nas.

Yet he's seen like this grandfather. He's revered as this elder statesmen of hip-hop because he came first and pioneered some shyt. But, for some reason, he's not seen as someone who could and should be pushing the culture forward even more in today's climate.

Here's the thing, though. People still look forward to a Jay-Z or Nas project. In fact, they criticize when there's a delay or hold it against them if it's wack.

Rakim's career was 10 years (not a flash in the pan by any means :ehh:) but certainly not the 20 years and counting of a Nas. Think about it, he ain't been hot or relevant this century. :mindblown:

Why is Ra held to a different standard? Why the apparently different expectations? :ld:

Daps
This is actually a very valid question. Yeah he's only a year older than Hov, but he really hasn't done much since 18th letter in 97 or whatever.

Dre screwing him over really sidetracked his career.

And I think he's butt hurt that Nas surpassed him and blew up way larger than him, and that's tarnished him in my eyes. He used to have a crazy mystique about him. Now he just seems grumpy.

But I salute Ra for his legacy and the path he paved.

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
if I disagree you can say

"well, I said he's is the goat"

If I agree then it "see, he's not the goat"

The way you worded this makes it a never ending discussion.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
His work without Eric B is :mjlol:

Old aggie legend too. Stay throwing Nas shade. He throws Nas more shade than he does Dr.Dre.
Side question: Did Eric B actually make those beats?:jbhmm: I do wonder how his relationship/connection to Nas impacted his career, if at all? Had to be strange for Ra to see this lil nikka who was around the studio all of a sudden come and take his spot. And then to hear nikkas say the lil nikka was better than him. Had to hurt his soul a little.

10:31

Superstar
Daps
Side question: Did Eric B actually make those beats?:jbhmm: I do wonder how his relationship/connection to Nas impacted his career, if at all? Had to be strange for Ra to see this lil nikka who was around the studio all of a sudden come and take his spot. And then to hear nikkas say the lil nikka was better than him. Had to hurt his soul a little.

Man all I know is his solo albums leave more ( a whole lot more ) to be desired..

My man is supposed to be a goat but those solo albums are :mjlol:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Are y'all retarded? That Eric B shyt was merely a title. Eric B didn't make beats or DJ. He was just a gangster.

Btw, 18th Letter is fire.

Rakim's fall off had nothing to do with Eric B, it had to do with him not being able to change with the times.