How a Top Chicken Company Cut Off Black Farmers, One by One

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
How a Top Chicken Company Cut Off Black Farmers, One by One — ProPublica

Pretty long read, basically detailed accounts of shyt farmers went thru. Cliffs on the first story:

• Breh used to be a sheriff's deputy :usure: used his savings to buy a farm in 2002, planned to raise horses and pass it down
  • Koch Foods (not that Koch) came with promises of all the money he could make raising chickens for them
  • Kept sending people out and requesting "modifications" on the farm. Conflicting info, spent over $6k doing just this.
  • Another $50k renovating a shed in 2009 for a "government inspection" and that turned out to be unnecessary
  • Delivery drivers scamming and shortchanging him on feed
  • A prospective buyer came to offer a contract with him and was scared off by a Koch employee who said the farm needs $100k in repairs and spread rumor the bank had foreclosed.
  • Went to a hearing held by Eric Holder and the Agriculture Secretary in Alabama and they left a note while he was gone stating his contract expired.
  • Stayed on the land until his own former coworkers at the sheriff's office to remove him :mjcry:

moral of the story??? :mjpls:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
tumblr_nl9sgxZile1qk08n1o1_500.gif

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Yep. Sounds like he was near Meridian, Mississippi. About 1 hour west of my hometown. It's a fight to keep your business going as a black person in that area. They come with all types of rules and regulations to get your money and make it hard for you. I don't know if he had prior farming experience. That probably would have helped him know what he was getting into. From what I've seen of that business it might not be the most stable. I see a lot of old abandoned chicken houses around when I'm in the country. If disease strikes you could have a big problem. Just have to know what you're getting into. A lot of the chicken raising seems to be done by corporations now.

xCivicx

Archduke of Audits
Daps
Reppin
Atl
He got fuxked but he should have been building a relationship with multiple prospective clients for the eventuality that the big corporations were gonna dikk him