How can I become Location Independent (starting from zero) in 4 months? Advise please.

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you have 4 months to transition into becoming a location independent/remote worker what steps would you take in order to acheive this if you were starting from square one? All I really know how to do is write, but I only want to write about things that interest me. If being a rapper or an ebook author doesn't pan out, and having a blog or Youtube channel is not my first option, what avenues can I explore?

My plan is to work hard until the end of August 2019, and by the end of August I will have all of the money needed to cover all my essentials from September 2019 until January 1st, 2020 (I'm pretty much on track with this plan). I have budgeted everything including emergency money, so I will be fine.

I'm an independent contractor and work at different events and do things like catering. I don't plan on taking a vacation during these 4 months. I don't plan on stopping "all work" during these 4 months either. It just means that during this time I will be only working about 3 days a week, instead of 7 days a week. I don't have any kids, girl, or school to concern myself with, so I don't expect any unforeseen new expenditures for the remainder of the year.

I don't want to teach English abroad (although I have done it before). I don't want to get into flipping things on Amazon right away (it's not that I'm totally opposed to it, but right now at this moment I want something that is more secure). Ideally, I want something where I only have to work about 3 hours a day, and that can be achieved from anywhere in the world where there is a decent internet connection. I'm okay with working more hours per day in the beginning, but this is just stating what my goal is ultimately.

I'm looking at earning a minimum of $35,000 a year. I would definitely want to increase this as time goes on, but that's just to give a general idea of my expectations.

If you had 4 relatively easy-going months to potentially study and transition into a new field that can work as a location independent, digital nomad-kind of thing, what would you recommend?

Ideally, I would like to be my own boss. Other than day-trading stocks, what else can I be doing to earn about $100 a day for 365 days?

P.S.- I know nothing about computers beyond the basics (but I've got 4 months)

Daps
All I really know how to do is write, but I only want to write about things that interest me.

Write for money. Forget that writing about what interests me shyt. That's a first class ticket to never making a dime. You write for what interests other people and what the client who is paying you wants you to write about. It's not about you. It's like saying I only want to sell products in my store to people with stuff that interests me and only me.

Please. Please. Please. Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM CONTENT MILLS. Don't work for pennies and learn how to say NO to shyt pay.

Head over and join the Writing Revolts Facebook group.
Also, sign up for the Freedom With Writing email list (always posting working and contests).
Keeping With Kimmoy (a sister) is another good email list. She's always posting technical writing jobs that she doesn't have time to do.
The originator over at Make A Living Writing email list.
The Freelance Writers' Den email list.

I can't think of the brother from Nigeria's website. Dude started from absolute zero and changed his life within 45 days. He pulled some of his content off of his site, but most of it is on archive.org. I'll post the link when I remember it.

Addendum: I remembered it. It's the Writers In Charge blog.

----

It's not your field and I don't do it anymore but I used to write a lot of tutorials for Vultr, Linode and Digital Ocean due to my IT background. I always aimed for the 1500+ word/$300 payments (I liked Vultr best, DO second with Linode pulling up the rear), because I know if one of my tuts were accepted, I could make small changes to the source document and get an additional $75 for each operating system port. Nothing like waking up in the morning to see a $900 payment in your PayPal account from work that took at the most two days. I'd go a little further as I included screenshots in my tuts. The only thing that sucks is that you had to put in YAML format, a type of markup language and about a month's time for approval. Payment was usually 5 days later.

Just to show that I'm not full of shyt.

Red = Rejected
Green = Accepted
Black = Revisions Required
Purple = I can't remember what it meant
o0Gmg00.png

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
MasterofAllHeSurveyz, big props on the writing related info and links.

I'm definitely going to be checking those links out.

I was expecting that was I going to receive responses like "learn how to code", since I do have 4 months, but that is not my field at all. Then again, any and all responses are welcome because if I specifically try to stick to my field, then I'm limiting myself.

Please keep any responses coming folks as we can all benefit regardless of what everyone's time frame is.

Daps
One of my older posts -> https://www.thecoli.com/posts/31637842/

I'll do the occasional survey with Respondent and Dscout (mobile only).

My wholesale Amazon FBA from scratch journey posts starting here -> https://www.thecoli.com/posts/33355913/

As far as Amazon and related sites, the people I fukk with:
  • Reezy Resells (YouTube & Instagram)
  • Flipadolla (Instagram - the king of the minor resell sites not Ebay & Amazon)
  • Stephen Smotherman/Fulltime FBA (YouTube, Website & Podcast)
  • Beau Crabill (YouTube & Facebook)
I remember a podcast by Dan Freeman of Rise N' Grind fame. He was working in NY for this company. He was making them close to $100K a month with all the sales he was doing. He had a eureka moment.

"shyt. If I do one of these sales for myself, it covers all my bills for the month."

The rest is history.

Podcast with Dave Anderson of the Business Bully Podcast (funny as shyt) -> https://api.spreaker.com/download/episode/11641514/force_the_issue_featuring_daniel_freeman.mp3

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Write for money. Forget that writing about what interests me shyt. That's a first class ticket to never making a dime. You write for what interests other people and what the client who is paying you wants you to write about. It's not about you. It's like saying I only want to sell products in my store to people with stuff that interests me and only me.

Please. Please. Please. Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM CONTENT MILLS. Don't work for pennies and learn how to say NO to shyt pay.

Head over and join the Writing Revolts Facebook group.
Also, sign up for the Freedom With Writing email list (always posting working and contests).
Keeping With Kimmoy (a sister) is another good email list. She's always posting technical writing jobs that she doesn't have time to do.
The originator over at Make A Living Writing email list.
The Freelance Writers' Den email list.

I can't think of the brother from Nigeria's website. Dude started from absolute zero and changed his life within 45 days. He pulled some of his content off of his site, but most of it is on archive.org. I'll post the link when I remember it.

Addendum: I remembered it. It's the Writers In Charge blog.

----

It's not your field and I don't do it anymore but I used to write a lot of tutorials for Vultr, Linode and Digital Ocean due to my IT background. I always aimed for the 1500+ word/$300 payments (I liked Vultr best, DO second with Linode pulling up the rear), because I know if one of my tuts were accepted, I could make small changes to the source document and get an additional $75 for each operating system port. Nothing like waking up in the morning to see a $900 payment in your PayPal account from work that took at the most two days. I'd go a little further as I included screenshots in my tuts. The only thing that sucks is that you had to put in YAML format, a type of markup language and about a month's time for approval. Payment was usually 5 days later.

Just to show that I'm not full of shyt.

Red = Rejected
Green = Accepted
Black = Revisions Required
Purple = I can't remember what it meant
o0Gmg00.png

Dope, do you have to have a blog to start in this shyt?
Or you just submit straight to the sites?

Daps
Dope, do you have to have a blog to start in this shyt?
Or you just submit straight to the sites?

You don't need a blog. But, I do recommend that you create a portfolio site with About & Contact pages. Another page will be an evergrowing links to articles that you write and/or examples of your best written work.

Your most important is sprucing up that LinkedIn page. Go all out.

Last edited: