How come Christina Vidal aka "Taina" never blew up? She was supposed to be the next J.Lo

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
The actress said they cancelled it due to behind the scenes drama between her mother, who was her manager, and the showrunners.

More than likely due to money. The show doubled it ls ratings in the second season and she had just got a recording contract with MCA. I could see her management thinking she was about to blow and trying to renegotiate and Nickelodean being like “Nah”
That makes more sense.

Calibrated

Superstar
Daps
mVUhkpK.jpg
That smile :whew:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
That makes more sense.

Yep here’s her words

Taina scored high ratings on Nickelodeon, but only got two seasons. There are many rumors as to why the show got canceled — some say it was budgeting, others say it was because it was a show about girls.

That’s ridiculous.

What was Nickelodeon’s explanation when they told you that the show wouldn’t be renewed for a third season?

They didn’t really say anything … just that they’d replace it with a show about Master P and his son. But I think it had something to do with me getting a record deal, and just not doing everything they wanted me to do. I wasn’t new to the business then — I was 20. I had a lawyer, I had people around me who knew my rights. This was a time when they had kids do a whole bunch of stuff without having any rights.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Execs were trying to ride the latin music wave and didnt set realistic numbers for a Latino led childrens sitcom.

not to mention, Nickelodeon didnt catch their stride for developing stars until Nick Cannon and Amanda Bynes. Kenan Thompson and Michelle Trachtenburger were exceptions to the rule.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
The actress said they cancelled it due to behind the scenes drama between her mother, who was her manager, and the showrunners.

More than likely due to money. The show doubled it ls ratings in the second season and she had just got a recording contract with MCA. I could see her management thinking she was about to blow and trying to renegotiate and Nickelodean being like “Nah”
Yeah they wouldn't cancel it due to it being a girls show.

It's all about the money

Iirc i remember reading that production costs got high. What you wrote is probably what that refers to