How Complicit Were Native Americans In Slavery Against Black Americans?

96Blue

Superstar
Daps
Some Native Americans I've seen on social media are trying to say Natives didn't really play a big part in enslaving Black people in America and so on.

What part did they play? I already know about how the 5 civilized tribes enslaved our people, then afterwards, denied them access from Native benefits/identity.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Damn that, why are there tribes still denying its Black members their tribal benefits and acknowledgement of their own link in the tribe itself? The history is written in terms of which tribes enslaved Black people but some of them have been even more reluctant than whites to acknowledge their involvement or at the very least acknowledge their Black tribe members.

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
There were “free people of color” who also owned slaves. Usually Mullatos but not always. It’s a complicated issue. I know there is this push to dish out smoke to various groups perceived to be anti black (even Africans) but Native Americans were not and are not the problem. They have suffered immensely since this country began

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
There were “free people of color” who also owned slaves. Usually Mullatos but not always. It’s a complicated issue.

Most afro-descended people who owned slaves were actually family members they purchased; the ones who owned slaves and mistreated them like whites did, were usually mulatto or afro-Amerindian in a state where mulattos/mustees were considered non-black/different caste

Although their lives were circumscribed by numerous discriminatory laws even in the colonial period, freed African Americans, especially in the North, were active participants in American society. Black men enlisted as soldiers and fought in the American Revolution and the War of 1812. Some owned land, homes, businesses, and paid taxes. In some Northern cities, for brief periods of time, black property owners voted. A very small number of free blacks owned slaves. The slaves that most free blacks purchased were relatives whom they later manumitted. A few free blacks also owned slave holding plantations in Louisiana, Virginia, and South Carolina.

Free Blacks in the Antebellum Period - The African American Odyssey: A Quest for Full Citizenship | Exhibitions (Library of Congress)

I know there is this push to dish out smoke to various groups perceived to be anti black (even Africans) but Native Americans were not and are not the problem. They have suffered immensely since this country began

The Eastern/South Eastern Natives that owned slaves actually imposed "Black Codes" on their slaves

aqmSFiS.jpg

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was looking for a related thread to bump..

So my cousin sent me an email the other day. She was reading Jodi Byrd’s The Transit of Empire about Freedmen in Mississippi. And decided on a whim to look up the the final accounting of Native American slavery:

Final Rolls Index

She ended up finding two of my ancestors on this list. They weren’t lost to history or anything like that just the details of their enslavement and who was responsible.

So apparently we now have a verified claim that my great great great grandfather was enslaved and later freed by the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

Fast forward to 2021 and the tribe is considering granting citizenship to freedmen. Probably because of lobbying or lawsuits by ADOS in the area. Obviously this will be contentious because of the sheer number of Black descendants that could potentially be willing to join compared to how small the tribe is.

My question here if is anyone is still reading this (lol) is what impact would joining a tribe have on a potential future reparations claim? And do any of you think there’s any value in this association?

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was looking for a related thread to bump..

So my cousin sent me an email the other day. She was reading Jodi Byrd’s The Transit of Empire about Freedmen in Mississippi. And decided on a whim to look up the the final accounting of Native American slavery:

Final Rolls Index

She ended up finding two of my ancestors on this list. They weren’t lost to history or anything like that just the details of their enslavement and who was responsible.

So apparently we now have a verified claim that my great great great grandfather was enslaved and later freed by the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

Fast forward to 2021 and the tribe is considering granting citizenship to freedmen. Probably because of lobbying or lawsuits by ADOS in the area. Obviously this will be contentious because of the sheer number of Black descendants that could potentially be willing to join compared to how small the tribe is.

My question here if is anyone is still reading this (lol) is what impact would joining a tribe have on a potential future reparations claim? And do any of you think there’s any value in this association?

Sounds like a Kyrie Irving type situation :hubie:

But I did see a YouTube video on this topic I think last week

I’ll post it if I can find it. But some Native Americans definitely owned slaves

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Most definitely complicit.

I’m like 98% sure I got ancestors who were owned by the Cherokee on my moms side.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Sounds like a Kyrie Irving type situation :hubie:

But I did see a YouTube video on this topic I think last week

I’ll post it if I can find it. But some Native Americans definitely owned slaves

The Mississippi Choctaw had about 2,200 documented slaves at the end of the civil war. Those numbers were probably larger before they started losing their land holdings.

The other members of the 5 civilized tribes certainly has slaves as well.