How did Fortnite blow up?

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Was deployed pretty much all of 2019, how did this game blow up like it has? Every major chain store I've been through has entire sections of Fortnite apparel, even Ninja got his merch on the shelves. Especially the kids, they've been eating this shyt up heavy.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The free to play model and kid friendly presentation gave it a cobra clutch on the market. The polished gameplay and performance made it a force to be reckoned with in the competitive world, especially when compared to its more serious counterpart, PUBG which has greatly improved but still suffers performance issues on most systems and doesn’t have the overall polish of fortnite.
The merch was the next obvious step. I’m surprised they haven’t made a Fortnite movie yet like they did for Angry Birds (which side note, those movies are pretty funny and great for the family).

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Save The World originally dropped as a legit game and it flopped, and they added the Battle Royale mode and made it free to play. Battle Royale games were already quickly rising as a genre, but nobody had quite managed to truly capitalize on its potential, and then Fortnite came along and dropped something that worked, had a unique core mechanic and was free on PS4, Xbox and PC. The game was really accessible for all ages, so good timing, unique mechanics, free to play model on multiple major platforms, not having terrible glitches like other BRs, an engaged dev team and word of mouth helped it become what it is today.

It's what Drake said on Wu-Tang Forever, "It ain't about who did it first, it's bout who did it right." Epic Games managed to do it right, and everybody has been copying in some way, shape or form ever since.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I heard it blew up because Aubrey's wave riding, corny ass tweeted about it.
Wasn't just a tweet.

He hopped on a stream with the biggest guy doing it at the time along with Rocky and some football player. One of the most watched streams on Twitch ever I think.

Made not just the game but streaming itself pop