How did YG fall off?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
My Krazy Life is a modern classic. He dropped that shyt like a nuclear bomb on nikkas. He'll forever make money and tour off that album. But after that, everything he's done is an absolute clusterfukk. Every album after was disappointing as hell and lacked theme or direction. All of his singles have been flopping the last 4 years. That Go Loko song was forced into the consumer's ears by the streaming services. That shyt was ass.

When I listen to albums, I feel like the artist is telling his story. My Krazy Life was the story of a young nikka from Bompton banging Piru & letting you sit in the passenger seat of his audio drive-by. There is just no compelling story for any of his other pieces of work.

Kommunity Service was an absolute banger from beginning to end though.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Bad team, including dudes who almost got him killed. Too many features on his albums. Riding too many trends. That second album was dope and I remember him dropping a little EP or something before that (with the 50 Cent song). But you can't tour when all your big songs got big features. When I saw him on the DAMN tour opening for Kendrick, he was basically doing one verse and the hook before going to the next song. Same thing. You not bringing out Drake or Wayne or whoever else is on the track so it doesn't work well live.

I think he should have kept going in that anti-Kendrick lane. Not as a slight to Kendrick, I just mean if Kendrick is the good kid then YG is the opposite while still conscious. Mozzy kinda took that lane.

Daps
My Krazy Life is a modern classic. He dropped that shyt like a nuclear bomb on nikkas. He'll forever make money and tour off that album. But after that, everything he's done is an absolute clusterfukk. Every album after was disappointing as hell and lacked theme or direction. All of his singles have been flopping the last 4 years. That Go Loko song was forced into the consumer's ears by the streaming services. That shyt was ass.

When I listen to albums, I feel like the artist is telling his story. My Krazy Life was the story of a young nikka from Bompton banging Piru & letting you sit in the passenger seat of his audio drive-by. There is just no compelling story for any of his other pieces of work.

Kommunity Service was an absolute banger from beginning to end though.
You’re but then absolutely wrong. Still Crazy was a banger from the front to the back. And the best Sophomore album since Hell On Earth.

He did fall off but you need to put down whatever you’re playing smoke dirt weed and play that thang. shyt was hot. I bought Still Crazy and streets of Compton the same day. I hate slobs but I bought both CDs it was so hot. I streamed them only and have both in Cd wrapping still.

The problem with YG is he didn’t know where to go after still crazy. He was afraid of keeping it real. So he decided to try to go a little more mainstream but he also decided to hit the car show LA scene. So he now is a big staple with Mexicans. He signed sadboy loko. He got that Mexicans tattoo on his head which was like Virgin Mary mixed in with Aztec warrior shyt.

He has fallen off to us(Brothers) but I hear a lot of surneos driving the low rider trucks and old muscle cars play him. Even out here on the Midwest. I’m kinda done with him after letting wack 100 bully him but then having Drakeo killed. His energy don’t match and his music sucks balls. But those first 3 Albums, My Crazy Life, Still Crazy and blame it on the streets are as hard as priest dikks on on boys first communion Sunday.

CoolinInTheCut

All Star
Daps
Jeezy claims he was heavily involved in the creation of My Krazy Life, said he was at every studio session, and he claims he even handled the song selection and sequencing. Obviously YG and Jeezy cut ties after the first album, but it's interesting how with Jeezy not being around, YGs music has never been the same outside a couple cool songs here and there like Twist My Fingers.

Jeezy spoke on mentoring YG in a few interviews. One I can remember off top is an interview with him and Charlamagne back in his hood.

Kliq_Souf

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
WOL
Wasn’t him and Mustard beefing for a lil second between Krazy Life and the 2nd joint?

I think that slowed shyt up…
Still Brazy was not hittin as much

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
My Krazy Life and Still Brazy were highly regarded. Folks was saying he did it without Mustard on Still Brazy. The reviews tell the story.

He has the same problem Chance has. He dropped a dud and never really recovered. Stay Dangerous wasn't very good and the albums after than didn't really hit like that. I don't know how much he get played on the West Coast, but I rarely hear him in the South like I used to.

DanielAlfredsson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I loved his first two projects but yeah the last couple releases have been significantly weaker. Dude doesn't seem that driven.

I often see he is compared to Kendrick and Nipsey in interviews and profiles, but the level of effort and thought each clearly puts (or in Nip's case put) in their work dwarfs YG.