How do boxers build hand speed?

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I've always wondered how some boxers are faster than others. Do certain boxers naturally develop hand speed as they grow, or is it something they work on (or work out) through strength and conditioning?

Prado210

She's into malaka's, dino.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Outside of being born with it, repetition! You need to throw 10s of thousands of punches

Yup, it's pretty much your born with it. BUT, you could do what I would do and use lets say 5-10 lb dumbbell weights in each hand and shadow box. Not even shadow box really, just pick a punch you want to work on and do it over and over with the weight in your hand. That helps some.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You can only work on what you naturally have, practice alone won't give you Ali speed

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
Yup, it's pretty much your born with it. BUT, you could do what I would do and use lets say 5-10 lb dumbbell weights in each hand and shadow box. Not even shadow box really, just pick a punch you want to work on and do it over and over with the weight in your hand. That helps some.

My dad had me use 5lbs wrist weights when he was training me.

Edit: he say it made a world of a difference but I could never tell.

Willy Waffle

Willy Da Waffleman
Daps
Reppin
#GIANTS #KNICKS #RANGERS

My dad had me use 5lbs wrist weights when he was training me.

Edit: he say it made a world of a difference but I could never tell.

5lbs is overdoing it and personally i feel u create bad habits when using that much weight. i wouldn't go over 3lbs, but i use 2lbs dumbells on the regular thats good for strength and speed.

twothousandnow

boxing nerd
Daps
Reppin
NJ via Miami
the speed bag helps.also shadowboxing with heavy gloves or weights.theres also this elastic rope that goes around your back connecting to each hand.you basically throw a punch to stretch it out .gary russell jr uses it and he has the fastest hands in boxing

also doing speed pad work like roger mayweather does with lil floyd

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
You can be born with handspeed...if not you need to use atleast 2lb wrist weights (while wearing 12-16oz gloves) and be working the heavy bag at a very high rate and you will get faster hands.However, it all starts from your feet.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
9EAQq8Dh.jpg

This has helped me a ton, especially after I gained muscle mass I felt I was a tad bit slower, I feel just as fast as I was in hs imo.

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
9EAQq8Dh.jpg

This has helped me a ton, especially after I gained muscle mass I felt I was a tad bit slower, I feel just as fast as I was in hs imo.
Just a resistance band? What exercise do you do with it?

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Just a resistance band? What exercise do you do with it?

You use them to shadowbox, back at the old gym I used to go to everyone was split about using them. Some would either complain about the bands making dudes develop bad habits and others would praise the increase in hand speed. Honestly I think it might do a little of both but unless anyone in here plans on being an amateur or pro fighter I wouldn't worry about it. :yeshrug:

There are fighters and trainers that swear by them though, Marquez always uses them and Ariza involves it in his S&C.