How I lost half of my retirement investment in bitcoins

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It's nearly four months since I placed a portion of my retirement funds into bitcoins. Specifically, I invested $25,000 into the Bitcoin Investment Trust (BIT) as part of my SEP contribution for the past year.

Since my investment, bitcoins have declined steadily. And last weekend’s flash-crash in bitcoins sent the digital currency below $300, which seems to have steadied Monday at $335.00.

My initial investment in BIT was at a per unit net asset level of $64.51. As of Monday, my new asset value for each of my units of the trust was $31.16.

I’ve lost over half of my investment — ouch!

During that period we've seen the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index SPX, -1.51% grow from 1,940 to over 1,965.

However, this isn't about chasing returns (or at least, that's what I keep telling myself). Rather, the reason for my investment was about asset allocation and the incorporation of alternative investments into that allocation. The reality is that the bitcoin investment is less than 5% of my overall portfolio, so hopefully this assures me that I won't be eating dog food even if my investment in the Bitcoin Investment Trust goes to zero. On the other hand, as with other alternative investments, the hope is that with high risk may come the reward of high return.

BITCOINS FOR RETIREMENT

By Jack Tatar
Follow Jack's bitcoin investment in his retirement portfolio. Think he's crazy?

Why I’m adding bitcoins to my retirement portfolio
My risky retirement bet in bitcoins
How to get bitcoins into your retirement account

More from The RetireMentors »
No one likes to lose half of their investment in whatever they invest in. For many of us, if we were losing that much, we'd have sold out a long time ago (hopefully).

For those who invest in alternative investments such as hedge funds and partnerships, the reality is that you have less flexibility on when you can sell and are often tied into an investment for a period.

One rule with my BIT investment is that I can't sell my investment for at least one year. After that time, I will actually be able to sell my shares in the OTCQX market, where theoretically, any investor could then buy these shares being offered for sale.

In the future, when bitcoins are traded in exchange-traded funds, I’ll have the ability to sell on price drops when prudent investing requires it.

So, was my investment in bitcoins genius or just plain stupid?

Well, if recent performance is any indication, I'd have to be considered at least "pretty stupid." But even with a drop of 50% and all the "love" I've received through comments from those who equate bitcoins with tulips, I don't feel entirely stupid. At least, not yet.

The reason I feel this way is because even with the bad news and poor performance around bitcoins, there's actually some bright spots that lead me to "speculate" that my next three month performance checkup may bring me closer to being considered a "genius" (hope springs eternal). Here are some recent news items around bitcoins that give me hope that the end isn't near for them:

Of course, I may be wrong about bitcoins all together. Only the future will tell. But I'm actually glad to be involved in following the future of bitcoins and for good or bad, I'm looking forward to the journey. After all, progress occurs on a bumpy road.

I'm also glad that I didn't invest that much money in bitcoins. What do you think I am? Stupid?

DISCLOSURE: Jack Tatar owns shares in the Btcoin Investment Trust, which invests in bitcoins.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...ment-investment-in-bitcoins-2014-10-07?page=2

:skip :skip: :skip:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
:mindblown: Any security has it's risk. This guy was just greedy and didn't research Bitcoin. Bitcoin is not an investment.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
can we even call it a security? Typically the definition of security is there is something backing it.

:patrice:I mean, you have the opportunity to exchange it for fiat currency/gold if you chose to.:yeshrug:

but the thing is even with investments from brick and mortar firms/companies they can just declare bankruptcy and tell you :camby: