How is Spotify able to let you download up to 10,000 songs without running out of memory ?

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
With Spotify premium you can download songs to your phone and play them in 'offline mode' where you don't need a wifi or data connection. Spotify allows you to save up to 10,000 songs or something like that but how is that possible that you never run out ?

I have a 12gb iphone and I can't even take photos sometimes cause I don't have enough space and I end up having to delete stuff but I can download all the songs I want.

I've googled it but I can't find anything, what's the tech behind this ?

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
That's interesting. Cuz I haven't downloaded a single song but my storage gets full a lot. I got this one app where you can clean up your phone and shyt and Spotify is always the main culprit. I've had over a gig cached before, more than once :dead:

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
With Spotify premium you can download songs to your phone and play them in 'offline mode' where you don't need a wifi or data connection. Spotify allows you to save up to 10,000 songs or something like that but how is that possible that you never run out ?

I have a 12gb iphone and I can't even take photos sometimes cause I don't have enough space and I end up having to delete stuff but I can download all the songs I want.

I've googled it but I can't find anything, what's the tech behind this ?

Are you sure it is actually downloaded at the time that you have no storage space? Do you go into airplane mode and try to play the song?

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
My phone has 64GB internal memory but if I were you I'd get an SD card (16GB, 32GB, etc) specifically for Spotify (which is what I do) and have the music download on there to save your phone's storage for other things.

:yeshrug:

What kinda phone has only 12GB in 2020 :gucci:

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
When you stream anything on a device it saves cache files. You aren't actually streaming mp3 or m4a files like a traditional iPod or something. With Spotify, those cache files are automatically cleared. When you "download" them you are telling Spotify to not clear those cache files on your phone and those specific files are getting pinned.

Obviously cache files are a lot smaller/compressed than say mp3 files.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
well it depends of what quality of the music your downloading? i mean if ur using normal quality or below that then the file sizes will be smaller than the extreme quality version

I've used both spotify and tidal, spotify does not consume that much space compared to tidal hi-fi which full blown FLAC quality... basically spotify compresses their music , kinda like netflix do with their movie downloads

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
When you stream anything on a device it saves cache files. You aren't actually streaming mp3 or m4a files like a traditional iPod or something. With Spotify, those cache files are automatically cleared. When you "download" them you are telling Spotify to not clear those cache files on your phone and those specific files are getting pinned.

:ohhh: this makes sense, repped

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC

This post is easy to confirm in low bandwidth situations. There's times where I can't even get on Google but I can play all my frequent playlists and songs and that's because it's playing from local storage and not streaming through the internet. You can also further verify this in low bandwidth situations by noticing that playlists/songs you play often will play instantaneously while songs you rarely or never have played won't play at all or will have to load.