How J Dilla Reinvented Rhythm (Article)

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I'm only half-way thru due to deadlines I gotta meet. As I stated before, I like reading and holding a physical book, but if I'm at high school games (which I frequent twice a week) I'll listen or watching sports, I'll mute the tv and listen to things. Over halfway through the book, I'm starting to question what the purpose of the book is.. It's very informative and there are things in it I never knew about, but I didn't need to know about Dilla's domestic abuse issues, multiple abortions his mother paid for, disrespect of parents, strip club addiction (I knew he loved the strip clubs, but damn), infidelities, and his treatment of those around him. I just didn't need to know all of that, and I don't see a reason that anyone else did either. At the end of the day, the author is a white man, so I blame myself for not expecting some Tasha K smut in the mix.
shyt would be wack as fukk without it the point is to see what made the man

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
shyt would be wack as fukk without it the point is to see what made the man
no one needs to know that personal shyt. It's totally unnecessary. Talks of him visiting the Red light district in amsterdamn.. cmon man.. That's just not necessary. It's the same thing when Gerald Mcclellan was paralyzed after the Nigel Benn fight in 1995 and 8 years later as he was receiving funds thru donations, white folks make it a point to let everyone know he was involved with dog fighting.. The kkkrakkker always has a motive. If you take all of that smut out of the book, it's still a dope book. knowing that his mother paid for 5 or 6 abortions does nothing for me...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'll reserve judgement until after i read the book (just borrowed a copy from the library) but i'm split on this. I've def read biographies that had waaaaay too much detail. one that comes to mind is the definitive thelonious monk biography by Robin Kelley. Very informative but just way too detailed. Do I really care about seeing Monk's elementary school report card? Info about his ancestors after the end of the civil war? At one point shyt reads like a day by day account of his life, just way too much detail.

But on the other side i do like hearing about personal shyt within reason. When I read a biography on a musician I want to know why I should actually care about him/her as a human beyond their music? I'd like to know their personal philosophies, their influences, etc. But i def agree that salacious details that do not help provide a narrative are just dumb and can ruin a book.

KingsOfKings

๐”ป๐•ฃ๐•–๐•’๐•ž ๐•„๐•–๐•ฃ๐•”๐•™๐•’๐•Ÿ๐•ฅ
Daps
The mobi file is out there