How much does it cost to get a lawyer that

Dirty_Jerz

Ethiop
Daps
Reppin
the evils of truth, and love
will actually fight in your favor as a black male in court?

I keep hearing of and witnessing these people aiming for these so called black males to plead guilty no matter the circumstance. The magistrate reads off of a list and bam, it's done, until a return for sentancing.

How much?

1/2OfDaBruinz

Banned
Daps

I keep hearing of and witnessing these people aiming for these so called black males to plead guilty no matter the circumstance. The magistrate reads off of a list and bam, it's done, until a return for sentancing.

How much?

Lawyer cost varies and is dependent upon a lot of factors. At the end of the day aim to get a lawyer who used to work as a PD or that was a police officer because they will likely have connections in the courthouse. If your lawyer has relationships with people in the courthouse then it's a plus.

People pleading out is really not the issue. A lawyer will happily fight your case cause it's gonna mean more money from them. But if it isn't looking good, then they will advise you to take a deal and see what they can negotiate with the state.

As it pertains to black males, lawyers suggesting their client take a deal as opposed to going to trial is the least of our worries. It's an institutional problem whose root cause needs to be addressed. How about us being profiled and targeted in the first place to even end up in those situations?

Dirty_Jerz

Ethiop
Daps
Reppin
Lawyer cost varies and is dependent upon a lot of factors. At the end of the day aim to get a lawyer who used to work as a PD or that was a police officer because they will likely have connections in the courthouse. If your lawyer has relationships with people in the courthouse then it's a plus.

People pleading out is really not the issue. A lawyer will happily fight your case cause it's gonna mean more money from them. But if it isn't looking good, then they will advise you to take a deal and see what they can negotiate with the state.

As it pertains to black males, lawyers suggesting their client take a deal as opposed to going to trial is the least of our worries. It's an institutional problem whose root cause needs to be addressed. How about us being profiled and targeted in the first place to even end up in those situations?

I never seen a lawyer or public defender happily fight for anybody in court that's not on tv, not that I've been in hundreds of hearings or anything though. I also don't know anybody who personally benefitted from the two being in closer connection either. Pleading out is definitely an issue.

Some people, including myself, had to plead out even when they are innocent and have documentation to prove it, but have been underminded by the judge and risk harsher sentencing for speaking out. Saying it's the least is an fabrication at best imo. I agree there are bigger and deeper issues but, saying this > that isn't getting anybody anywhere who is in those shoes.

KplusK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
i actually had a public defender go all out for me even though it was a driving infraction i was still on the verge of maybe seeing some time or a huge fine that i wouldn't have been able to pay at the time so i guess every case is different and depending on the lawyers and how they feel about black people

Bone Bender

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im not sure how much this guy costs but if you live in the New York area, you should give this guy a call.

1/2OfDaBruinz

Banned
Daps
I never seen a lawyer or public defender happily fight for anybody in court that's not on tv, not that I've been in hundreds of hearings or anything though. I also don't know anybody who personally benefitted from the two being in closer connection either. Pleading out is definitely an issue.

Some people, including myself, had to plead out even when they are innocent and have documentation to prove it but have been underminded by the judge and risk harsher sentancing for speaking out. Saying it's the least is an fabrication at best imo. I agree there are bigger and deeper issues but, saying this > that isn't getting anybody anywhere who is in those shoes.

Breh, I think your view of the justice system is skewed. I have definitely seen good lawyers out there. I know people who have went to trial and won and I knew for a fact they were guilty. And relationships matter; as a matter of fact they are everything. I've had cases dropped where I was guilty due to my lawyer, a white public defendant at that. I was fighting a case for about 3 months and all they were offering was 3 years. I got a new lawyer (a black one at that) and because he was cool with the old prosecutor on my case (the other one had left while I was fighting) he ended up getting me a year and a day.

You say you were forced to plead out. But you can always take that shyt to trial if you really want too:mjpls: Your lawyer is just an adviser, you make the decisions. You said you faced a harsher sentence for speaking out. Were you trying to speak out in the courtroom:deadmanny: You know judges don't get jiggy with that shyt at all

Not saying it ain't unfair out there for us, but I don't think you fully understand how certain processes are played out in the justice system

JamilALAmin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA

Some people, including myself, had to plead out even when they are innocent and have documentation to prove it, but have been underminded by the judge and risk harsher sentencing for speaking out. Saying it's the least is an fabrication at best imo. I agree there are bigger and deeper issues but, saying this > that isn't getting anybody anywhere who is in those shoes.

Nah. You tripping first off for having a public defender in the first place. You should keep a lawyer on deck. If you not getting money like that you don't even have to keep one on retainer. Network and find one and get cool with him. Take him out to lunch, hang with the nikka sometimes, send him xmas cards and cigars on his bday. Break him off a rack or so like once a year. If he smoke hook him up with some good weed. Basically go out your way to befriend the nikka. And like @1/2OfDaBruinz said, them connections is key. My guy was a 40 something former solicitor and he knew everybody at the court house from the deputy's to the judges. Especially the women employees. I'm not even gonna type what his connection did for me cuz nikkas wouldn't even believe it.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

How much?

from personal experience a decent lawyer will keep you out of jail....

If you are using a court appointed lawyer you might as well just plead guilty from the jump.....

once you know how the system really , really works as long as you are smart you can stay out of jail

If you are doing dirt keep money aside for a lawyer....and for bail...... how much does a good lawyer cost? how long is a piece of string

but any amount is worth staying out of jail

Dirty_Jerz

Ethiop
Daps
Reppin
Breh, I think your view of the justice system is skewed. I have definitely seen good lawyers out there. I know people who have went to trial and won and I knew for a fact they were guilty. And relationships matter; as a matter of fact they are everything. I've had cases dropped where I was guilty due to my lawyer, a white public defendant at that. I was fighting a case for about 3 months and all they were offering was 3 years. I got a new lawyer (a black one at that) and because he was cool with the old prosecutor on my case (the other one had left while I was fighting) he ended up getting me a year and a day.

You say you were forced to plead out. But you can always take that shyt to trial if you really want too:mjpls: Your lawyer is just an adviser, you make the decisions. You said you faced a harsher sentence for speaking out. Were you trying to speak out in the courtroom:deadmanny: You know judges don't get jiggy with that shyt at all

Not saying it ain't unfair out there for us, but I don't think you fully understand how certain processes are played out in the justice system

Well yea it is skewed, I'm not saying it isn't. I want to hear experienes of people who won. I agree with that too, about relationships. You're suggesting maybe I should of taken it to trial, but you don't know what the advise was that was given. Why should I risk beind imprisoned in a case he's telling me I'd lose? He's in close connection with the judge tbh. There was no black lawyer for me.

I'm not saying I understand it either because I don't.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well yea it is skewed, I'm not saying it isn't. I want to hear experienes of people who won. I agree with that too, about relationships. You're suggesting maybe I should of taken it to trial, but you don't know what the advise was that was given. Why should I risk beind imprisoned in a case he's telling me I'd lose? He's in close connection with the judge tbh. There was no black lawyer for me.

Let me tell you what happens with a court appointed lawyer a lot of the time, 10 minutes before you are up before the judge he looks at your file for the first time while he interviews you, he was probably given about 20 cases that morning....

you explain what happened , he scribbles a few notes and then more or less tells you to plead guilty...... regardless of the facts

you plead guilty.... you are going to jail

you plead innocent ..... you are going to jail..... on remand

1/2OfDaBruinz

Banned
Daps

Breh all I'm saying is every lawyer is not "out to get you" Most of em are just trying to get paid and don't give a fukk either way. Plea deals are common practice in the justice system because it ain't enough room in the jails. Plus 9/10 one side is gonna have more leverage than the other which creates the likely hood of one taking a deal. Whether it be the prosecution having an open and shut case and offering you a deal based on those factors, or the prosecution having a weak case and your lawyer working out a sweetheart deal for you.

Trial usually result as a stalemate between your lawyer and the state. It's that simple. And we need more black lawyers. But what's more important is the relationships and how much pull your lawyer has. The best advice is to not get caught up in a criminal situation because it's already known that the justice system is gonna fukk us over as black men and it's set up for us to fail.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
This is true.
So, let's say you don't want to plead guilty even though the prosecuting attorney has enough evidence to get you. You think if OJ Simpson got off, so can you. The defense attorney will ask all questions to the prosecutor and witnesses needed to attempt to prove your innocence. The problem is when your attorney doesn't have enough to prove you innocent. All the answers to his questions are going to actually make it worse for you, thus making it easier for the judge or jury to find you guilty. This is why they try to work a plea deal. Your defense attorney has access to all the files that the prosecuting attorney has. If it looks they can hang you by the balls, all he can do is ask you to take a plea deal so your sentencing is lower. It saves the prosecuting attorney time for going through the song and dance, which will end up with your sentencing being higher.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Let me tell you what happens with a court appointed lawyer a lot of the time, 10 minutes before you are up before the judge he looks at your file for the first time while he interviews you, he was probably given about 20 cases that morning....
you explain what happened , he scribbles a few notes and then more or less tells you to plead guilty...... regardless of the facts
you plead guilty.... you are going to jail
you plead innocent ..... you are going to jail..... on remand
A lot of the time, when you request a court-appointed attorney the day of the case, you can still ask your attorney to postpone the case so he or she has more time to prepare. At this point, you've already had your arraignment hearing and if you are out on bond or out on your own recognizance, you are still out. If you didn't bond out, then you go back to jail until your case comes up again if your attorney was able to postpone your case.

Dirty_Jerz

Ethiop
Daps
Reppin
Breh all I'm saying is every lawyer is not "out to get you" Most of em are just trying to get paid and don't give a fukk either way. Plea deals are common practice in the justice system because it ain't enough room in the jails. Plus 9/10 one side is gonna have more leverage than the other which creates the likely hood of one taking a deal. Whether it be the prosecution having an open and shut case and offering you a deal based on those factors, or the prosecution having a weak case and your lawyer working out a sweetheart deal for you.

Trial usually result as a stalemate between your lawyer and the state. It's that simple. And we need more black lawyers. But what's more important is the relationships and how much pull your lawyer has. The best advice is to not get caught up in a criminal situation because it's already known that the justice system is gonna fukk us over as black men and it's set up for us to fail.

I get that, that's the issue. That's why I'm asking how much. :comeon: I wasn't looking for this to be focused on me because I'm not locked up.:francis: