How Much Would You Charge? (IT/Networking Question)

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
So I was asked recently to set up a wireless network for a church. Building is about 40,000 sq. ft. I do this kind of stuff at my day job all the time, but this would be my first time doing it from scratch on my own.
They currently have no network hardware other than their AT&T gateway. :francis:

I'm planning on setting them up proper with reliable hardware that will last, instead of trying to go the cheap route. They also told me they would run the CAT 5e cable for me, which is very helpful (it's only 3-4 runs, but still :bpbanderas: )

Here's what I'm planning on installing, and what services I'm offering:

-Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE
-Nortel Avaya 5520 Switch (It has PoE on all ports, which is what I need for the APs and other devices in the future)
-Ubiquiti Unifi AC Long Range Access Points (Need about 3)
-BitDefender 2018 (3 yrs., 5 devices)
-Patch panel
-12U server rack case
-Small form factor desktop (for remote management purposes; I can get one from my job for cheap)
-Setup, configuration, and installation
-24/7 support

The upfront cost looks like it's coming in at about $1100-$1300. That includes hardware, accessories, tools, and peripherals that I need. Some of this stuff I can find used, so I have a bit of wiggle room.

I was thinking about charging ~$3000 for everything, with half due up front.

Any thoughts?

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I had a contractor charge us like 4k to set up a simple wireless bridge and a little electrical work. He overcharged like a mofo on equipment but I let it side since it wasn't account. Idk $3000 sounds low for someone who does this for a profession and is going to do it right.
How much are you charging for that 24/7 support?

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I had a contractor charge us like 4k to set up a simple wireless bridge and a little electrical work. He overcharged like a mofo on equipment but I let it side since it wasn't account. Idk $3000 sounds low for someone who does this for a profession and is going to do it right.
How much are you charging for that 24/7 support?

I know the pastor personally, so nothing, really. The network would be really simple to manage once it's set up since it's just wireless for now.

This actually would be the first time I'm doing it solo. Not hard, but have to do some extra planning, and I don't know how much contractors charge since I only do network setup for my day job.

They're talking about adding some smart devices around the church so the cost is gonna change, but I don't mind if I only make about $1500 on this particular job.

I could inflate the price for the parts but it wouldn't feel right; plus the pastor is a little tech savvy, so I can't BS him on some of the costs.

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I know the pastor personally, so nothing, really. The network would be really simple to manage once it's set up since it's just wireless for now.

This actually would be the first time I'm doing it solo. Not hard, but have to do some extra planning, and I don't know how much contractors charge since I only do network setup for my day job.

They're talking about adding some smart devices around the church so the cost is gonna change, but I don't mind if I only make about $1500 on this particular job.

I could inflate the price for the parts but it wouldn't feel right; plus the pastor is a little tech savvy, so I can't BS him on some of the costs.
I guess the biggest take away would be the experience of doing it on your own which down the road is worth far more than $1000-2000 you will make. He gets a good deal and you get the chance to experiment, see what works, what doesn't.

Not sure what you do but was at a cisco conference yesterday and one of the presentations was with this dude who did something similar but with arenas and stadiums. He said that wireless is most engineers weakness and that those who become really good have hospitals and such clamoring to hire them.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
3k sounds about right. How long will it take to deploy it?

If you budget 1500 for equipment, and can set this up in < 15 hrs. That comes out to 100+/hr.

Let them know you charge 100/hr after x amount of time.

24/7 support is not a good look. Maybe throw in a month of support. After that, they need to pay, or they can hire a tech to manage it.

SB: You need an LLC with an insurance policy. Just in case things go left.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
You could try getting a couple quotes and setting your rates a little underneath what they ask. That way you know you're not stiffing the church but you're still getting paid right.