How Old Is TOO Old To Get Involved In Combat Sports?

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
If you are planning on doing MMA 22 is just fine... think of guys like Brendan Schaub, middle of the road college football player who made a transition cause they were athletic. A bunch of these type of guys. Just NOT boxing because the skillset is so limited/technical you'll already be at a massive disadvantage.

All these MMA super-phenoms are still rare enough that you wont be at a disadvantage against any average joe.
Alright. Nope, I never thought about doing Boxing. Just some MMA, BJJ, and Pro Wrestling 3 years ago.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Too late for a professional run as those folks with boxing, BJJ, and wrestling were already at a high level with tons of XP fighting since they were teenagers.

However, you can get very good on the local circuit and amateur level at your age and be able to handle yourself decisively against most civilians.

But you are going to have to tough it out because for the first few months you will get that work with the hands and on the mat by more experienced guys. Any good art will put a newbie through the ringer to test them, but with great control.

MMA weeds out the strong and faint of heart really early on, so the pride and ego go out the door after you get subbed or tagged by someone who doesn't "look like a threat"... besides the self-defense aspect, the conditioning will have you in great shape.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
you're NEVER to old in the hands of a "sheisty" promoter
:mjgrin:

three weeks ago i got a call from a retired marine who wants to "start" a professional boxing career

he is 41 years old and use to box during the early 90s in marine corp sponsored bouts

yeah he is a Tomato can :pachaha:

but i could use him :jbhmm:

as a sparring patnah for other fighters

and as my "token white guy" for various cards

he is a right wing redneck trump supporter..so im gonna luv watching him getting pounded out
:jawalrus:

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're too old if you're thinking of fighting professionally, not unless you want to be like this dude -

maxresdefault.jpg

You'd be fighting against people who have mostly trained their lives to body you.
Stop being a hater, it ain't never too late. Mf movie mark wahlberg in the character in his 40s wins a spot with the eagles and wins a Superbowl. Don't be a chump

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
You only 22...just train and study your assoff....the worst case is you will get into great shape and prob be able to defend yourself in any situation.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Grappling especially Jiu Jitsu is a great place to start if you want something competitive as an older athlete

At 22 it depends on your level of athleticism and fitness. You could get into MMA but you've got a tall hill with a sport full of kids that have been doing it since forever.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
With MMA there's really no age limitation on when you should start as long as your athletic, in good shape, have a strong work ethic, and go into it with realistic expectations. If you think you're going to become a UFC champion or even an elite fighter then you're going to be disappointed, unless you're an athletic freak. But if you just want to have fun with the sport and have some local success then that's attainable at your level. I've trained with dudes that started in their mid-20s and later that have done well for themselves in the sport.

exactly, there's a big difference between cats who fight at amateur or even the small pro circuit, the little MMA gigs that come to town every month or so. there you will see 2 kinds of fighters, the youngsters trying to come up and get into the elite game and the older guys who want to fight and have had a few years of experience. especially the amateur promos.

BJJ, just start at a school and go to as many tournaments as you can as soon as you can. i'm sure there's white belt divisions in tournaments down here so i would say the same is in America. obviously at the very beginning levels you can't do shyt but a year or 6 months in you should be ok to go against someone the same level and start getting used to competition.

Wrestling i have no experience with, i don't think they have amateur or pro circuits after high school or college. unless you're talking about fake pro wrestling, i don't think you would have a chance at that unless you're a freak athlete.