How to Contributing to Open Source Projects?

Sonny Bonds

All Star
Supporter
Daps
What I do I need to know? I want to contribute to documentation writing, so I can build a tech writing portfolio. Any tips, advice, and resources would be greatly appreciated.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Went down a rabbit hole and came across this today.

Yes, it's from Facebook which rubbed me the wrong way initially, but it's from their Open-Source Advocacy team:

As I get better, I plan on contributing to projects that catch my eye. I like the idea of troubleshooting and closing tickets in general :yeshrug:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Bump.

Don't have the technical background for pull requests et al, but I do try to scour the 'Issues' GitHub tab for easy-to-answer questions and feedback.

I've even gone as far as downloading Github on my tablet so that I can check up on my starred repos for potential updates

null

Daps
Reppin
UK,DE,MUFC,DMV
Bump.

Don't have the technical background for pull requests et al, but I do try to scour the 'Issues' GitHub tab for easy-to-answer questions and feedback.

I've even gone as far as downloading Github on my tablet so that I can check up on my starred repos for potential updates

get your stackoverflow popping too fam
full

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would start using said open source projects, find their github or website and start a convo from there.
I could do this myself, lot of shyt I use isn't very active however.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's not widely talked about, but on the backend, ChatGPT is trained by humans who rate the responses given by the bot. Open Assistant is an open-source version of ChatGPT and could use more people rating the responses that the bot gives, and it gives you a better idea of how the training process takes place.

Here's the link to use the chat, and if you're interested, rank the responses:

Here's a good intro/explainer:

I like that there's no coding experience necessary, that they have a leaderboard, and that they collects stats, so that there's some gamification as you contribute to the open-source project

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Pick a project you enjoy and contribute to it. Honestly, do you really want to do it or do you want to sound good?

People asking these types of question NGMI. This shyt is all created by people, it ain't magic.