How Yale and New Haven, CT blocked the first HBCU from forming in 1831

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
EDIT: They produced a short documentary about the story. So I'm replacing the original post, which was a lecture +q & a, with the doc.

What Could Have Been​

Beinecke Library at Yale

Apr 14 2022
What Could Have Been: a short documentary film about the proposal for America’s first HBCU in New Haven, Connecticut, 1831

Directed and edited by Tubyez Cropper Written by Tubyez Cropper & Michael Morand Produced by Beinecke Library Narrator: Charles Warner Jr. Other voices: John Monahan, Tubyez Cropper, Michael Morand

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The Colored Convention of 1831 is referenced

1869_convention_dc_assembly-banner.jpg

Beginning on 4th page of the document
The plan proposed is, that a College be established at New-Haven, Conn., as soon as $20,000 are obtained, and to be on the Manual Labour System, by which, in connexion with a scientific education, they may also obtain a useful Mechanical or Agricultural profession, and, (they farther report, having received information,) that a benevolent individual has offered to subscribe one thousand dollars towards this object, provided, that a farther sum of nineteen thousand dollars can be obtained in one year.

After an interesting discussion; the above report was unanimously adopted; one of the inquiries by the Convention was, in regard to the place of location. On interrogating the gentlemen why New-Haven should be the place of location, they gave the following as their reasons:--

1st. The site is healthy and beautiful.

2d. Its inhabitants arc friendly, pious, generous, and humane.

3d. Its laws are salutary and protecting to all, without regard to complexion.

4th. Boarding is cheap and provisions are good.

5th. The situation is as central as any other that can be obtained with the same advantages.

6th. The town of New-Haven carries on an extensive West India trade, and many of the wealthy coloured residents in the Islands, would, no doubt, send their sons there to be educated, and thus a fresh tie of friendship would be formed, which might be productive of much real good in the end.

And Iast, though not the least, the literary and scientific character of New-Haven, renders it a very deisrable place for the location of the College.

Last edited:

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
I'm from New Haven, born and raised I learned about this recently very interesting of what could've been. A HBCU in New Haven would've been something to behold especially considering the demographics of the city. It probably would've been where Albertus Magnum is at now since it is near Newhall Ville, which was once called Negro Section.
image75.jpeg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'm from New Haven, born and raised I learned about this recently very interesting of what could've been. A HBCU in New Haven would've been something to behold especially considering the demographics of the city. It probably would've been where Albertus Magnum is at now since it is near Newhall Ville, which was once called Negro Section.
image75.jpeg

Chances are that New Haven and metro area becomes what eventually developed in NYC. An intellectual and cultural center not just for America, but for English speaking Blacks globally .

Last edited: