Hunter & Eli + The New Fab Five...Juwan Presents: 2021-2022 Michigan Wolverines Basketball Thread

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
:russ: Nah fam I’m just asking, i have not heard anyone be like he’s got next, i mean if he bring more pub cool or some other kids cool
He was just playin in that AAU tournament in Orlando. My friend’s son plays in AAU and Bronny and Gloria was there.

My man says Bronny is nice.. He said he’s definitely a one and done. Then he told me that Juwan Howard was there and was talkin to Gloria for like a half hour.

There’s a connection there with LeBron and Juwan it makes sense to me

Daps
Reppin
Chi
I think Michigan can get Bronny

other than publicity there’s not much to gain for bringing Bronny in…he’s ~6’2 -6’3 combo guard without true PG skills and without the size to play the 2 spot in full.

not sure how up to date this link is, but Duke hasn’t even offered, and neither have any of the other “blue bloods”:

Bronny James, Sierra Canyon, Combo Guard

I’ve seen nothing of his play that indicates he’s a 1 & done other than being LeBron’s son.

if dudes name was David Smith, he’d be ranked several slots lower and wouldn’t have any top 10 program interest.

Jeremy Fears looked nice af last tournament tho…LaLu keeps pumping out prospects.

I know MSU and MI are both in on Xavier Booker and Duke just recently got involved…we’ll see if Duke is capable of jumping in at the last min of blue chip recruitments and sway them now that K is gone.

MSHAA needs to adapt to the modern era so all the instate talent doesn’t bounce to prep schools out of State.

Last edited:

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
other than publicity there’s not much to gain for bringing Bronny in…he’s ~6’2 -6’3 combo guard without true PG skills and without the size to play the 2 spot in full.

not sure how up to date this link is, but Duke hasn’t even offered, and neither have any of the other “blue bloods”:

Bronny James, Sierra Canyon, Combo Guard

I’ve seen nothing of his play that indicates he’s a 1 & done other than being LeBron’s son.

if dudes name was David Smith, he’d be ranked several slots lower and wouldn’t have any top 10 program interest.
We’ll see..

My Dawg said he has skills and can shoot.

His team was gettin blown and was just laying back watching what the defense was doin then he said he started started takin over and they won the game :russ:

He said he’s bigger in person and he said his frame is thick..

He’s 6’4 190 now

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad

Unless someone leaves (Moussa?) this wouldn't be possible, although people are saying Jace (the older son) could be moved off scholarship since he was originally was going to walk on before attrition opened up a spot.

"Pending admissions process" are famous last words in Ann Arbor. He's a junior with two years of eligibility (covid) so maybe he doesn't care about losing credits?

Trust Me

Coli Prophet
Daps
Reppin
Orlando
I haven't bothered to look up any of these transfer dudes.. but if they aint grad transfers (aka got their degrees already) then they aint coming to Michigan. It's just the way it is.

heart

Down By Law
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Why did Frankie leave the program? Zeb left as well. Juwan can’t keep and develop point guards which is pretty much the nucleus for a deep NCAA run.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
Why did Frankie leave the program? Zeb left as well. Juwan can’t keep and develop point guards which is pretty much the nucleus for a deep NCAA run.
I know this it's been a decade since this was posted but to answer your question...

TLDR: Frankie was afraid to compete and had been viewed as a flight risk by the staff all season.

There were rumblings about him transferring when Michigan was recruiting Dug McDaniel. Those died down and he was fine when he started getting more playing time. Then when Sam Sessoms, who Michigan had no interest in, mentioned Michigan as a school he was looking at potentially transferring to and Frankie started making noises again.

He felt Michigan was recruiting over him, but Michigan needed another guard as they only had three on the roster. If we're being honest, nobody is putting McDaniel -- who is undersized -- down as a major contributor on day one. So, if Michigan placates Frankie, then they're one injury away from having a decimated backcourt.

Llewellyn is a combo guard like Eli, he could play next to Frankie or Kobe, depending on the lineup. Frankie would have had to compete with Kobe for the starting job, unless both took unprecedented leaps and surpassed Llewellyn, but those 3 were going to get a lionshare of minutes regardless of who was starting.

I liked Zeb, he's from my neck of the woods, but he wasn't a PG here. He couldn't get minutes on a team that desperately needed a 6'5 wing, so he's more of a recruiting miss than a portal loss. Good luck to him and Johns at VCU.

heart

Down By Law
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I know this it's been a decade since this was posted but to answer your question...

TLDR: Frankie was afraid to compete and had been viewed as a flight risk by the staff all season.

There were rumblings about him transferring when Michigan was recruiting Dug McDaniel. Those died down and he was fine when he started getting more playing time. Then when Sam Sessoms, who Michigan had no interest in, mentioned Michigan as a school he was looking at potentially transferring to and Frankie started making noises again.

He felt Michigan was recruiting over him, but Michigan needed another guard as they only had three on the roster. If we're being honest, nobody is putting McDaniel -- who is undersized -- down as a major contributor on day one. So, if Michigan placates Frankie, then they're one injury away from having a decimated backcourt.

Llewellyn is a combo guard like Eli, he could play next to Frankie or Kobe, depending on the lineup. Frankie would have had to compete with Kobe for the starting job, unless both took unprecedented leaps and surpassed Llewellyn, but those 3 were going to get a lionshare of minutes regardless of who was starting.

I liked Zeb, he's from my neck of the woods, but he wasn't a PG here. He couldn't get minutes on a team that desperately needed a 6'5 wing, so he's more of a recruiting miss than a portal loss. Good luck to him and Johns at VCU.
Wow, I had no idea they felt that way about Frankie. Very informative article.. Thanks for the info breh.

I think After the Juwan slap, if you would've told ANY Michigan fan we would go to the sweet 16 and have a great shot of beating Villanova. We all would've taken that. So to me the season was a success given how inconsistent the team was all year.

I heard Sam Webb say since Michigan decided to go after all the 5 stars instead of getting lower ranked kids who may stay with the program that the Transfer Portal/NIL is something we will have to deal with. Football I understand but it's also very prevalent in basketball.

But then its the other side of it. We lost Houstan & Diabite. Both in my opinion are not ready for the NBA and are making a mistake.

Do you think Juwan should continue to go after these Mcdonalds all-americans or go after lower tier players who will stick around and possibly a longer tourney run??

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Wow, I had no idea they felt that way about Frankie. Very informative article.. Thanks for the info breh.

I think After the Juwan slap, if you would've told ANY Michigan fan we would go to the sweet 16 and have a great shot of beating Villanova. We all would've taken that. So to me the season was a success given how inconsistent the team was all year.

I heard Sam Webb say since Michigan decided to go after all the 5 stars instead of getting lower ranked kids who may stay with the program that the Transfer Portal/NIL is something we will have to deal with. Football I understand but it's also very prevalent in basketball.

But then its the other side of it. We lost Houstan & Diabite. Both in my opinion are not ready for the NBA and are making a mistake.

Do you think Juwan should continue to go after these Mcdonalds all-americans or go after lower tier players who will stick around and possibly a longer tourney run??

I think the good coaches find a mixture, you need kids that will stay anywhere from 2-3 years, that will help you as some freshman find their way, you also hope they develop enough that they can be a role player when a star gets cold or a difficult match up, or hell dominate because they not just out skilling everyone, look at Villanova

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad

I don't think it's an either or proposition and neither does Juwan or the staff.

Collins, Bufkin, and Barnes (who redshirted last year) were all well regarded guys that were expected to be 3-4 year players unless they developed quickly and played well above their recruiting profiles. Will Tschetter isn't as well regarded as the other 3, but he's a program guy who should be a key contributor for his 3rd - 5th years here (redshirted with Barnes). Yes, Caleb and Moussa were highly touted 5 stars, but those are only 2/6 guys. They were never the foundation of that class.

This year's class is basically last year's class minus the 5 stars, although some people seem very high on Jett.

I think the best way to view AAs is the same way you'd view a portal guy, most of them are only going to be here for a year. Maybe you can get them to stay if they need more polish and can get lucrative NIL deals (Moussa and Caleb were not eligible for NIL), otherwise that should be the expectation.

Moussa and Caleb are international students that cannot receive NIL money, so Michigan/boosters had no way to entice them into staying.

Moussa was the one the staff seems to have anticipated leaving based on his athletic profile. In hindsight, listening to how he spoke when he first got to Michigan, he kind of sounds like he anticipated being only being there for a year. His ceiling is probably a switchable version of Clint Capela, who is one of best defensive centers in the league. Drafting him and developing him in the G-league, a la Jordan Poole, is a smart move for virtually every team in the late 1st- early 2nd round window.

Caleb seems to have gotten a promise either from OKC or the Spurs, who both have multiple first round picks, so him leaving makes sense if they follow through on that. I'm pretty sure this one surprised the staff, who probably thought he needed another year (see Keegan Murray's and Jaden Ivey's improvement). I wouldn't draft him before the mid 2nd round, but I'm also not apart of an NBA front office.

Sorry for writing so much, I need to work on my concision.