- 8ball Investments™ CEO -
Daps
Reppin
Myself
Lawsuits Over Baby Powder Raise Questions About Cancer Risk

TONY CENICOLA / THE NEW YORK TIMES
By RONI CARYN RABIN
MAY 23, 2016

Deane Berg thought she was going to die, and she wanted to know why. She was 49, way too young, she thought, to have advanced cancer in her ovaries.

As she scrolled through websites that listed possible causes of ovarian cancer, one jumped out at her: talcum powder. She did not have risk factors like infertility or endometriosis, but she had dusted baby powder between her legs every day for 30 years.

“I went into the bathroom, I grabbed my Johnson’s Baby Powder and threw it in the wastebasket,” recalled Ms. Berg, now 59, a physician assistant in Sioux Falls, S.D. “I said, ‘What else could it be?’”

Ms. Berg was the first of thousands of women with ovarian cancer to file a lawsuit against the consumer products giant Johnson & Johnson, claiming that baby powder caused their disease and pointing to a long trail of studies linking talc to the cancer. The research dates to 1971, when scientists in Walesdiscovered particles of talc embedded in ovarian and cervical tumors.

Deane Berg with her husband, Jim. She blamed Johnson’s Baby Powder for her ovarian cancer.
DAVID EGGEN FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES
Since then, numerous studies have linked genital talc use to ovarian cancer, including a report earlier this month that among African-American women, genital use of powder is linked with a 44 percent increased risk for invasive epithelial ovarian cancer.

Johnson & Johnson says its trademark baby powder is safe, and it plans to appeal two multimillion-dollar jury awards, including $55 million in damages awarded to a cancer survivor earlier this month and a $72 million award in February.

Full article is in the link. But its really just Paid Spokesman shyt and People tryna get on