I Have A Question About The Great Migration...

96Blue

Superstar
Daps
We already know about THE GREAT MIGRATION and how/why it happened. But, do you think that with us spreading all over America and creating different genre's of music, dances, cultures, etc. Brings us closer? (I don't know if y'all will understand what I'm asking)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
We already know about THE GREAT MIGRATION and how/why it happened. But, do you think that with us spreading all over America and creating different genre's of music, dances, cultures, etc. Brings us closer? (I don't know if y'all will understand what I'm asking)

The great migration created a more blended afroamerican culture over the more distinct regional (cultural clusters) one that existed prior. Jim Crow and Southern roots would have made it close, regardless of migratory patterns.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
This is a great question OP. I have to think about it more.

I will say I love the ADOS Diaspora and the different history, cultures, speech patterns/accents, music, art, food, etc -- especially LIVES (like mine) it created!

But, I will say that it has made many of us lose our roots or be disconnected from them --- and for many even our families history and traditions. Many people don't even know the deep, rich history we have in the South -- that we should be extremely proud of as well.

I went to Alabama almost every Summer - and we had reunions and family events we had to go to all the time. I use to hate going when I was younger - cause it was boring to me. And my Grandparents or elders in the family were sweet - but stern and didn't play - and didn't have TV or cable.

But honestly, I think many ADOS need to go back to areas where their family is still living - those who didn't leave during the Great Migration - and reconnect. Ask questions, walk to land, learn and just be for a minute if you can.

Don't get me wrong - my Alabama family in Michigan is DEEP -- and I was still raised "southern" but in a midwestern state. Especially, since my Maternal Grannie left my Granddaddy in Alabama --- and all but 2 out of her 10 children moved to Michigan during the Great Migration.

But, when I am back in Alabama visiting family (both sides) -- it just feels different - like home for-real. The smell, the air, the land, the culture, my people, the food.

Just to be able to walk to land, be in the homes, use to pots/dishes, swing on the front porch and go to the church my 3rd Great Granddad helped build and was over -- where all my ancestors are buried behind and we visit every Sunday to give them flowers and say hello.

To be around people who can tell me family stories, see/live in our history daily, be taught lessons, recipes, words, etc --- that was passed down from my direct ancestors is everything to me.

The South for us has fukked up history - but it is also home for me as well. It's the place I run to first when I need to connect and get my mind right.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I think your question would be less confusing if you replaced "brings" with "brought" if that was your intention which is to ask that question. but hey my bad if its not.:hubie:

imo, it makes a little bit of difference but not much at the same time. Especially with the mentallity we had of "black was black"(ADOS, and we still do today) nothing we made strayed to far out of the umbrella of ADOs/Blackness unless it was sabotage into looking like something it wasnt(Rock n Roll).

Plus it was for the better we spread out, its what helped the numerous of diff cultures in our realm become diverse and for some the reason they were made.

Take Hip Hop, if hip hop and all its participants(which is overwhelmingly ADOS) mostly were all in NY and the northeast we would not have the diversity we have now from G funk, Trap, Chipmunk Soul, crunk, etc.
Same with other cultures

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I think your question would be less confusing if you replaced "brings" with "brought" if that was your intention which is to ask that question. but hey my bad if its not.:hubie:

imo, it makes a little bit of difference but not much at the same time. Especially with the mentallity we had of "black was black"(ADOS, and we still do today) nothing we made strayed to far out of the umbrella of ADOs/Blackness unless it was sabotage into looking like something it wasnt(Rock n Roll).

Plus it was for the better we spread out, its what helped the numerous of diff cultures in our realm become diverse and for some the reason they were made.

Take Hip Hop, if hip hop and all its participants(which is overwhelmingly ADOS) mostly were all in NY and the northeast we would not have the diversity we have now from G funk, Trap, Chipmunk Soul, crunk, etc.
Same with other cultures

facts.

mUINhhh.jpg

VqVdDeO.jpg