I have to Admit, Kanye West is the Total Package

Kanye West

• Total voters

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
He's the ultimate black limousine liberal, the college nikka talking in coded academic language about inequity, black self-love, black owned business, leading pointless "black out" days in front of the campus library, then joining a Fortune 500 company as soon as he graduates and marrying a white chick first chance he gets.

The leader of the meaningless new world in which complexity has been reduced to Che Guevara wearing bling, where 40's the new 30 and nonsense is the new complexity, where inchoate juvenile temper tantrums are the new grist for the mills of revolution.

Ghostproducers, ghostwriters, shallow lyrics that tap into the emptiness and disconnectedness of the black middle and upper middle class, cliche takes on interracial dating, consumerism, sex, and blackness that would shame the most tired slam poet. The type of black person who doesn't feel a sense of authenticity in the white or black world and feels the urge to align himself with whichever one fits his mood for the day, as he tries on philosophies, indignation, and societal outrage like one of his funky leather outfits or a pair of designer shades -

The master of substituting empty, over the top rhetoric for insightful or meaningful thoughts, buffoonish gestures for truly defiant acts.

And he's crack for a lot of black people, the same way Ayn Rand is for a certain lot of whites, because both appeal to a warped sense of persecution while confirming their most basic, shallow notions of how the world is and how it should be, a world in which contradictions empower rather than hinder a person's character or message.

I never thought I could find anyone in hiphop more vile and reprehensible than Puffy, but Kanye has surpassed him at this point for the simple fact that a lie disguised as the truth is always worst than an outright lie.

Well said, I agree....

Add on the fact that he doesn't have half of the elocutionary talent of the 5 emcees that you mentioned...

He's a walking stereotype of everything that is flawed in the modern American limousine liberal negro...Arrogant, effeminate, disingenuous, irresponsible, self serving and fueled by Euro-envy.... Fighting his own petty personal battles while attempting to cloke them in Black nationalism..

Imagine if Toure was a rapper and you have Kanye West...

Its not just hypocrisy. Its not just Kanye says one thing and does another. Its not just Kanye raps about ideas that often conflict with each other.

The problem is Kanye LITERALLY PUTS HIMSELF ON THE CROSS. He's made himself a martyr so we gotta look at the man and his life and see if any of it makes sense. It does not.

He equates his own fake struggles (white people criticize me even though I wear Alexander Wang :dwillhuh:) with the actual struggles of slavery, Jim Crow and the remnants that exist today. Nobody gives a fukk about Alexander Wang. Nobody. Thats a Kanye problem not a black problem. He exploits these ideas only to bring attention to himself and that is disrespectful and an insult to intelligence.

He is not a martyr, or a leader, or even an artist with insightful ideas to share. He is just a dumb fakkit.

:wow2:

Pos green rep to y'all..Exactly how i felt about this cornball the second i heard his first album and the sentiment never changed he only proved it more and more every time.

Kanye represents this new generation which is fake, transparent and lost at the same time.

blackslash

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
WHERE ARE THE PAC AND NAS ESSAYS nikka

WHERE HAAAAAN??? :bryan:

THE TWO BIGGEST HYPOCRITES ARE CONEINCIDENTALLY THE MOST CELEBRATED ARTISTS ON THIS BOARD

WHERE ARE THE ESSAYS ON DEM? :bryan:

WHERE THE ESSAYS nikka??? :bryan:

Stop picking and choosing u smartdumb ass nikka :bryan:

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
this shyt read like one long run-on sentence.

the points, if they're to be called that, miss the actual point: kanye west is the reflection of the successful black man in post-jim crow america, a man who has mastered the skill of navigating between the worlds of black and white, whose music reflects the agony of having to adapt to the embrace of white america while still feeling kinship with the people he's leaving behind.

the man is a conflicted mishmash of views and emotions, whose identity is at once militant and bourgeois, academic and ignorant, charitable and patronizing. that is who kanye west is, and that's who many successful black men ( myself included) become. it's not due to a desire for conflict. rather, it's the constant pressure by white and black america to arrive at this ideal that will finally dispel the stereotypes given life by slavery's remnants. kanye west is a very complex, but thoroughly intelligent and creatively masterful, artist whose music embodies the tug of war that's waged within the souls of so many black men.

this screed misses the point. it reflects the usual commonplace criticisms voiced by armchair critics (read: kanye haters) who refuse to recognize the man's art because they can't handle the truth.

i should add that i didn't like watch the throne. i'm not a huge kanye fan. but i LIKE new slaves and black skinhead. that kind of music needs to be said, NOW. i'm someone that recognizes how black america, a lot of it due to the response obama's presidency has generated, is viewed by much -- the majority? -- of white america. we're under attack. and, i don't care about kanye's excesses. i appreciate them. the dichotomy he represents is natural, and it certainly isn't something i'm going to hold against him.

it's obvious that what kanye is saying makes some blacks and a hell of a lot of whites very uncomfortable. eric holder said we are a cowardly people when it comes to matters of race. we package discussions of it in niceties, with dialogue that doesn't offend. if kanye is offending people, GOOD. if he's being bold with what he's saying, EXCELLENT. the intellectual dishonesty of his critics is insulting. there's no substance to their critiques. they're just regurgitating what we've always heard about kanye:

ahh, why does he talk that conscious stuff when he's so materialistic.

blah blah blah.

why is kanye singled out for this. isn't that a criticism that can apply to even people like michael moore? noam chomsky, the proletariat's champion, lives in a big ass house in one of the wealthiest towns on the east coast. so, why target kanye for similar contradictions of message and lifestyle? it's because he's a BLACK man. it's because most white people and some of you house ******s think black men "shouldn't be talking like that." kanye should be happy with what he has and just make music to dance to. fukk a message.

"damn, kanye - who told you to run your mouth? don't you know you're black?"

that's how the OP comes across, and that's how many of these whites crying about new slaves come across. a black man speaks up about some REAL shyt, and the only thing they can talk about is his margielas and the white girl he impregnated.

as if that discounts what he's saying.

:snoop:
Embarrassing attempt at a rebuttal. Lol at writing a lot because Walt wrote a lot. Difference is you aint sayin shyt :umad:

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
When I saw the title I thought Walt was putting his career on the line. :lupe:

He just scored 100 points in a single game. :wow:

blackslash

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
@Walt

WHERE ARE THOSE ESSAYS ON PAC AND NAS DOE

2 of the most BIGGEST YET MOST CELEBRATED(on this board) HYPOCRITES IN HIP HOP :bryan:

WHERE ARE UR ESSAYS ON DEM

I GUESS U LETTTING EM WALK SCOTCH FREE MAKES WHETEVER U SAID INVALID SMARTDUMB nikka :bryan:

Last edited by a moderator:

EQ.

Mansur Brown - "Heiwa"
Daps
Reppin
Sunhymns
:yoo: had to dust off the dictionary for that post
Had me staring at demagogue like"
aQbq1.png
what is a demagogue?"

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
but being real, what does it matter?? it's the "do as i say, not as i do" approach to an extent. who gives a fukk about the ulteriority of it all if what is being said is socially stimulating and, at the very least, opens up much needed discourse about topics most people never discuss in hip hop culture?? disingenuous or not, "new slaves" is going to spark dialogue, racially/socially/culturally/politically-motivated dialogue, how could this ever be a bad thing?? don't take the "consider the source" route on everything, truth is truth no matter where it comes from.

"You see the DEA teamed up with the CCA /
they tryna lock nikkas up,
they tryna make the new slaves"

kanye is the fukking truth, don't let what he does in his leisure cloud your judgement on his art and his message. at least SOMEBODY is saying SOMETHING besides just molly and ciroc and all that. kanye is the edwin hubble of rap, ha, edwin hubble was a racist, sexist, highfalutin, piece of shyt but his contribution to science is worthy of all the praise it receives.. you can hate an artist but still appreciate his art.. oh, and i'm completely ignoring how amazing "new slaves" and "black skinheads" are sonically as well, they are both dope as fukk just on a music tip. it's amazing how songs like this get people so angry but french montana's pure fukking garbage being on the radio all day is perfectly fine with us, we are okay with him but hate kanye for ruffling feathers??? nah, that's skewed logic to me.

"the system's broken, the school's closed, the prison's open / we aint got nothin to lose muthafukka, we rollin"... >>>>>> every MMG and YMCMB artists life
Yeah if i was as blown away and as genuinely wowed as you (and all the usual popular pundits) appear to be by the actual music it wouldn't matter...but my actual reaction to the music has been :yeshrug: ...gave my take in another thread

he's trying...so I'll give him that...he could have very easily pulled a jay-z and went into autopilot mode for like five albums straight, but he's actually making the effort to "push the envelope" and what have you..the results have been kinda ehhh to me, it's basically kanye rapping not very well over industrial rock sounding beats...essentially a significantly less lyrical version of lupes rock influenced shyt, that I'm not that big of a fan of (sidebar: both parties would stand to benefit if kanye worked with lupe as a "collaborator" on this lp if that's the direction he's taking)...but I suspect that my opinion wont be indicative of how it'll be received by hip hop blogosphere, media, critics or whatever...the idea of kanye rapping with vague surface level references to the prison industrial complex will be enough for them to jizz their pants and hail it the most profound art of the decade so far..it's dope that kanye takes risks though, when he really doesn't have too

So while it's commendable that he tries...the results aren't NEARLY as impressive enough to not kinda laugh of the absurdity of everything around it....like, especially when you have these media types that lose whatever guarded sense of cool and objectiveness they have for pretty much every other rapper, and go into full out groupie fan mode...it's something about Kanye and Jay-Z that just kinda brings the groupie out of them...all of this talk about "discourse", when we all know the only "discourse" that will be actually had is how great and awesome and massive of a genius Kanye West is for this amazingly daring and awe inspiring music (which is closer to French Montana than it is to other more capable rappers recent attempts in similar directions, see: Lupe, Killer Mike's last lp's or even Nas' Untitled and these aren't super obscure underground acts)....projecting forward a couple of months, what do you think will get inspire more discourse:

Kanye's profound and eye opening in depth analysis of the DEA

or

OMG Look at the designer onesie KimYe's baby is wearing to Fashion Week in Paris this summer :krs:

Kanye doesn't actually have the breadth or depth to ACTUALLY inspire any kind of substantive discourse about much more than himself and fashion

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
@Walt

WHERE ARE THOSE ESSAYS ON PAC AND NAS DOE

2 of the most BIGGEST YET MOST CELEBRATED(on this board) HYPOCRITES IN HIP HOP :bryan:

WHERE ARE UR ESSAYS ON DEM

I GUESS U LETTTING EM WALK SCOTCH FREE MAKES WHETEVER U SAID INVALID SMARTDUMB nikka :bryan:

Walt feels pretty much the same way about Nas as I do. He's a shamefully embarrassing underachieving mc who made one classic album then sold the game down the river and wore a pink suit.

Last edited by a moderator: