i just copped the teenage engineering op-1

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So after a couple weeks playing with this thing, not sure if I've ever owned a piece of gear quite as fun as this.

The FM radio is cool as hell. Just sampling the most random stuff then really freaking it with the effects and lfo's. Like that the snapshots save everything. Drum sampler isn't great for bass drums but love it for everything else. All the arps send MIDI Out (I'd buy a drink for whoever made that decision)!

A super cool trick I found that sounds like an old-school tape wind: in the sample synth, get something short and set it to play on a loop, put the portamento on max, then start it from like -1 octave, hold the low key down, and just keep going octave up to like octave +4, then back down again. Adding the Spring effect makes it sound even better.

I'm still not using the 4-track as much as I should (more been using it as a sound source with an MPC).

Yeah these are dope, hope they don't stop making them.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
So after a couple weeks playing with this thing, not sure if I've ever owned a piece of gear quite as fun as this.

The FM radio is cool as hell. Just sampling the most random stuff then really freaking it with the effects and lfo's. Like that the snapshots save everything. Drum sampler isn't great for bass drums but love it for everything else. All the arps send MIDI Out (I'd buy a drink for whoever made that decision)!
i was playing with the midi out (and in) the past couple days, with reason and studio one. the midi and midi control is a breeze but getting the sound in is kind of a pain in the ass for me

Cal Cutta

Balthazar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i was playing with the midi out (and in) the past couple days, with reason and studio one. the midi and midi control is a breeze but getting the sound in is kind of a pain in the ass for me

If you have like finished loops, you could always just import them that way. The OP-1 can be recognized as a drive, sounds are in .aif file format. For live stuff, I just use the 1/8" stereo input on the right. They could definitely get the sample scrubbing better (it's not exacting at all).

I don't like how you have to commit something to the 4-track to be able to resample. If there was a way to resample directly from the synth/drum parts, I need to figure it out.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
I sold this joint after a few months. the 4 track song building really started getting in my way. the new price for them is even worse now $1300

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can't front. I thought it was some overhyped hipster bullshyt cashgrab at first.

Looking at vids and people talking about it, it's intriguing. That price though :huhldup:
I sold this joint after a few months. the 4 track song building really started getting in my way. the new price for them is even worse now $1300
Op-1 is officially a piece of legacy hardware a la sp303/404's and MPCs :ahh:.

It's in the MoMa now :whoo: OP-1 · SFMOMA

I feel you on the 4 track limitations though, I've been using mine in tandem with the other machines I mentioned :banderas::myman: