I just finished The Wire's season 5 for the first time and I loved it

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Besides season 1 maybe, it is definitely my favorite season.

My understanding is that a lot of people didn't fukk with it because they found the
fake serial killer

storyline far-fetched, but it didn't really bother me. I think the show did a good job of addressing how crazy it was for the characters that orchestrated it to do it but also how it made total sense given their perspectives and personalities. They also clearly laid out the potential consequences beforehand and tied well this part of the plot to the narrative structure they continuously built on during the previous seasons, so... :manny:

It was by far the most exciting and tense season for me, it had a LOT of great payoffs,
Bubs made me tear up :to:
and they went deeper than ever in exploring to which extent corrupt institutions and individuals are tied together in a web of bullshyt, so much so that no one can pull in a direction without making everything and everyone fall. Previous seasons illustrated how fukked up the system was, this one answered the question "now what happens when our characters try their hardest to go against it from the inside?". Result is, a lot of bullshyt, but nothing changes.

- Bubs' redemption arc :wow:

- Bunk was hilarious all season long. He was TI-RED of this bullshyt :russ:

- Daniels deciding to stop listening to his superiors and be a honorable man :salute:

- Mike and Dukie staying alive :whew: even if they became the new Omar and Bubs :snoop:

- McNulty to Lester: "They didn't get the message... We need to kill again! :mjlit:" :laff:

- Gus's actor (the Suns' editor) :wow: his acting was immaculate. The character really went to incredible lengths to not just snitch on the mythomaniac journalist;

- Omar's sendoff. No theatrics and very believable. Bro didn't even have the opportunity to go down his list. Other shows would NOT have the courage to do this. It's all about pleasing the fans but sometimes, you gotta say fukk the fans.

- McNulty and Todd (the mythomaniac journalist) suddendly understanding that the other is a fukking liar :russ: that was fire. They were plenty of enjoyable nail-biting moments like that, when the lies kept on getting bigger and bigger and creating more bullshyt.

I'm very satisfied to have finally watched the show. It's great.

Last edited:

Moesha’s Overbearing Dad

Go to your room Miles
Daps
Reppin
I rock with season 5 although it's behind 4 and 3... I promise you .. it accomplished one thing.. my absolute hatred for that fucc boi Templeton.. it is the ultimate display of cacs falling upward and there is never a time where I don't watch it and feel that way.. especially when it's a black man with integrity trying to stop his bytch ass

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
All the seasons of the wire are good, its just that season 5 is the least good.
The season needed 13 episodes to really flesh out this story. Its clear they wanted to include how the media also plays a part in the corruption and institutional failures of Baltimore. They just needed more time to tell the story correctly. I have other criticisms of the season, but I think this is the main one.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
I just finished the show…

Why wasn’t it no bad bytches in the wire? Only one halfway decent was the shorty who was Baltimore City council president

The cac dock cop, Carcetti campaign advisor, and Rhonda are all :camby:

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
Clearly a rushed finale. I really wish we got that finally season about the rising tensions between latinos and blacks in the baltimore public high school system. The wire was epic but went out with a whimper.