I just got FL Studio...Help a breh out...

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
I want to make beats...I recently grabbed up FL Studio 11 and have been messing around with it the last few weeks...I've made like 3 beats but really just one thats almost full. This shyt is difficult.

I have an ok ear...but I really dont know what I'm doing and where I'm supposed to go to find things...I've been sampling from records...downloaded a few sound packs, but i dont know whats considered good or not.

Obviously I dont expect yall to post links to anything because the old thread got shut down, but I'd appreciate anything in PM form. What am i looking for? I'm poor, but I'm trying to at least get some good demo beats before I'm able to upgrade my situation.

UPDATE 3/5/16:
First beat i made using FL Slicer..obviously i didnt know what i was doing

Its a Black Sabbath sample..a couple keys laid over top to round out the melody a little

Update 3/17/16:
2nd attempt at a beat. still in progress.

Update 6/5/18
i wish i had the time/attention span to keep up with shyt and really flesh out my tracks...

posted some demos to my soundcloud. none of this shyt is finished but fukk it lol im still a beginner to the max

Slicex has been my best/worst friend throughout all of it. Still need to cop a midi controller or some shyt so i can be a little more hands on. Drums are very difficult on a regular computer keyboard for me but i'm trying :lupe:

update 12/2020

Last edited:

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
FL Studio is my bytch :win:

grab a four bar drum loop, throw it into Fruity Slicer (Channels>Add one>FL Slicer, click and drag sample)

23w751d.jpg

1. Top right where it says '4 Beats,' when you drag the sample into Fruity Slicer, it'll originally be like 25 beats, drag that shyt all the way down to 4.
  2. Then right click on that button with the razor, click 'Slice To Beat'
  3. Then run the '4 Beats' up to 8. (Also, barely bring up the ATT/DEC like 10ms to clean up the chop 'clicks').

Find a 4 bar sample, Slice it the same way and play it over the drums.

Q2W3E4R5T6Y is the order of fl slicer notes when you're using just keyboard/mouse

30navis.jpg

the top row of the keyboard becomes a piano for all you 'I miss my triton's 88 keys' cats, in other words, q-w-e-r-t-y are 7 white keys, and the 23 is C#/D#, then 567 is F#/G#/Bb or the black keys. The chops get slightly lagged, so you go into piano roll to realign them.

Then you can take like four 4-bar loops, Slice each one, and then play around like that. Group all the Fruity Slicers together onto one mixer, and add filters or sidechain compress it.

that's the Zen of FL brehs, go fukkin' bananas. :cape:

I've got that shyt down to a science, je suis artiste :blessed::banderas:

SymbolicOne09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I want to make beats...I recently grabbed up FL Studio 11 and have been messing around with it the last few weeks...I've made like 3 beats but really just one thats almost full. This shyt is difficult.

I have an ok ear...but I really dont know what I'm doing and where I'm supposed to go to find things...I've been sampling from records...downloaded a few sound packs, but i dont know whats considered good or not.

Obviously I dont expect yall to post links to anything because the old thread got shut down, but I'd appreciate anything in PM form. What am i looking for? I'm poor, but I'm trying to at least get some good demo beats before I'm able to upgrade my situation.
Ill pm you some drums in the morning bout to pass out, i use reason so i dont use vsts but i would recommend synthleth 1 and ni massive from what i have heard. Learn the shortcuts in fl studio they will cut down your producing time. Learn how to layer your drums in particular kick drum and snare. Mess around with the volume(velocity) especially on each hi hat hit.
Check youtube and futureproducers.com
Turn off the fruity limiter in the master mixer channel, you will need to use it most likely but you dont want to learn mixing the wrong way but thats a ways off. Hardest thing i had to learn was to not deviate from the idea i had in my head about a beat. Dont start somthing and be like you no what im going to just make a new drum pattern, finish what your doing and it will help in the long run. If your going to use samples and chop imo the easiest way to get quick results is to make a chop for every bar( on every 1) in a sample. You can also chop where the bass line comes down on the first beat or what ever sounds right to you. , if you got a midi controller the auto theroy vst might be a good start if your not familier with chords and progressions.

Grizzly

Home Run Hitter
Daps
Reppin
Bigupyuself
Thanks for that @GPBear. Now how do I make an extended mix in FL Studio?

I'm trying to use Slicex to repeat the chorus and remove the last verse of a song. How can I do that in FL Studio? Am I even supposed to use Slicex to do that?

Here's the song

I'm trying to repeat :59-1:05 and cut 1:44-1:59

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
Thanks for all the help. Right now my setup is bare bones. I'm using my computer keyboard..Dont know wtf i'm doing lol. My record player isnt exactly top notch either, but i'm gonna mess with it still and if a record sounds like shyt i'll try to download a good quality version but i'm def trying to mess around with records first since I have a bunch just sitting around.

i'll look into massive and sylenth...not sure where to look but i will try my best to find them joints since i cant afford them right now.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Use your imagination. Be creative and make the music that is in your head listenable to others.

Just sit at your laptop/pc and think of a drum pattern "doomp snap doomp-doomp doomp doomp snap doomp doomp doomp snap"

Play that suit out with the tools you have at your disposal, once it's complete add other instruments piano, guitar, strings, brass, bass- what sounds good?

It's cool to compile and collect packs and vsts and shyt but if you don't have ideas and the willingness to experiment it's a waste of hard drive space.

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
Yeah I just filled a huge chunk of HD space with shyt :mjlol:

i've been rhyming since i was a kid and my dad and uncles are musicians so music has always been in me. i just never transitioned to the making of the actual music until now. i def have some ideas. just gotta learn how to make them work at this point.

i have a few skeleton beats but i'm still figuring the program out. getting a midi controller is gonna make things a lot easier. i have to actually learn how to play as well. i hear so much in my head that i cant translate into music because i dont know how to play the piano.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always say start by trying to maks beats in the style of your favorite producers. Search for FL Studio tutorial with the producer's name on YouTube. This will teach you about the work flow as well as sound selection and mixing. Once you master a few styles, you mix and match the different techniques you learned with some experimentation to create what you have in your head and shape your style.

Always be curious and open to learning. Be humble in your quest for knowledge, experiment, and most importantly, have fun.

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
Man these tutorials be confusing as fukk. All these thick accents, poor zoom action, people just moving way too fast or not being able to communicate their thought via words :snoop:

Gonna take me like 25 years to make one finished track :mjlol:

I'm picking SOME bits & pieces up..I really gotta watch these videos over and over until everything sticks in my mind.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man these tutorials be confusing as fukk. All these thick accents, poor zoom action, people just moving way too fast or not being able to communicate their thought via words :snoop:

I'm picking SOME bits & pieces up..I really gotta watch these videos over and over until everything sticks in my mind.
you just gotta find a good one and the check most of the vids from that channel.

what types of beats are you trying to make?

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
you just gotta find a good one and the check most of the vids from that channel.

what types of beats are you trying to make?
i dont even know yet. i listen to so many different types of shyt i'm just going off of what sounds good to me at the moment.

been trying to figure Gross Beat out for days and each tutorial makes it even more confusing :mindblown:

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

the basics are creating loops and layering. if you can create an 8 bar loop with 3-5 different sounds i.e a kick, snare, hat, bass, piano. then at that point you can just focus on layering so you can do transitions and have different instruments come in and out like brass or synths.

once you get that down pat then you can learn the mastering phase

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
gross beat's only good for after you have your beat

then you group drums to a channel, and you use a simple gross beat pattern (I use 6, and tweak it so it's even more minimal), then you record/play live and ride the gross beat knob on and off every 4 bars so you can get an instant drum pattern. Kinda like human change ups

like I said breh, grab a 4 bar loop in edison, put it into fl slicer, divy it into chops and play the qwerty until it sounds good. Put the order you want in piano roll, then throw drums to back it

with drums you can use fl slicer like with the samples, use a straight break in the playlist looped, or you can use individual hits in the sampler like 9th Wonder

Last edited: