I just recently saw There Will Be Blood

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I liked it, I really like movies and books based on this time period. I just felt a little let down by it. I can't put my finger on why. DDL was great, Paul Dano was great, cinematography and score was great, for some reason I just feel underwhelmed with how it all came together.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Like PTA's name doesn't carry weight on it's own?

Unless you're saying we wouldn't think the film was great without it, which... maybe? Take any all-time great performance out of any movie and is the same question.

But as to TWBB, PTA's direction, Elswit's camera and Greenwood's score are all fukking brilliant as well, so nah. I'd still care about it.
I'll be honest, the only other PTA movie I've seen was The Master which I thought was absolutely fantastic, but this one in particular did nothing for me outside of DDL.

It's like...I get why people clamor over this movie, but I know damn well that if it wasn't for DDL going insane, it would be whatever. There's not a whole lot to latch onto outside his performance.

I liked it, I really like movies and books based on this time period. I just felt a little let down by it. I can't put my finger on why. DDL was great, Paul Dano was great, cinematography and score was great, for some reason I just feel underwhelmed with how it all came together.
Case in point.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll be honest, the only other PTA movie I've seen was The Master which I thought was absolutely fantastic, but this one in particular did nothing for me outside of DDL.

It's like...I get why people clamor over this movie, but I know damn well that if it wasn't for DDL going insane, it would be whatever. There's not a whole lot to latch onto outside his performance.

Case in point.
I felt that way about Phantom Thread

brickflair

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Just saw this n all the ways that "blood" is spilled over achieving wealth/fame is fascinating. Also I cant really make a concise point so this is gon be a lil ramble but theres something so fascinating about the way that members of families go away from their family ideals like with Paul, Bandy's grandson, HW, Eli or how family can be pushed as an ideal strictly by appearance n not functionality like how Eli's pops beats his daughter for not adhering to their values n later Daniel vows to "beat" his son for not doing the same also wit Daniel literally beating Eli to :dead: for bein a fraud who at that point is his blood in law :leon:. Its pretty depressing how this movie portrays the physical value of wealth versus the emotional/spiritual wit HW's wife takin the time to learn sign language for an emotional pipeline to connect while Daniel cant be bothered to do that instead wanting to build a physical pipeline to essentially "steal" from others. Very deep movie thats gon have me thinking for a while I def gotta peep this again soon :ohlawd:

brickflair

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Jonny Greenwood's score might be more vital to this movies success if we keeping it a bean
saw an analysis vid that pointed out the same track plays when we're introduced to Daniel diggin away is playing when hes digging a grave for his fake brother showing how hes the same person fundamentally "you was who you was before you got here":wow:

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trash. No story no nothing. DDL being hammy. He was much better in Gangs of New York.