I refuse to believe pitching is that much better in MLB

L@CaT

For Hire Gunslinger!
Daps
you think tony gwynn would strike out 100 times in this era?

Depends if he adopted a more home run friendly approach at the plate. If Tony consciously hit for power and adopted an uppercut swing like today’s hitters then yes his strikeouts would have gone up tremendously.

But if Tony approach and swing stays the same old Tony Gwynn , then hell no. He still be hitting in the high .300 year in and year out without striking out.

Pedro Negro

Reefer & Sneakers
Daps
Reppin
New York fukkin' City
How the 'K' became the most destructive letter in Major League Baseball

Solid article. Its a bit wordy in the beginning so skip down to the header that says "Velocity And What Comes Next".

1. To sum it up the average fastball in 2011 was 89 mph, in 2021 its 94 mph. You could sit on an offspead pitch and still catch up to an 89 mph fastball, you cannot sit on anything and catch up with a 94+ mph fastball. You may not think 6 mph isnt much but its night and day. I was a decent high school hitter and i remember the first time i saw a pitcher throwing over 90, no joke, until you adjust to it you cannot even see the ball.

2. Pitching has gotten so good through advanced science that there is no such thing as a fastball count, pitchers can locate breaking pitches during any count so hitters truly have no idea what to expect. Now combine that with point number 1.

3. Pitchers are able to get more spin on the ball through science and some legal sticky shyt the mlb lets pitchers use now, allowing them to throw essentially unhittable breaking pitches. Now combine that shyt with points 1 and 2.

4. Hitters only have one swing, a homerun swing. Once pitchers figure out your swing arc its easier to avoid it because batters are taught not to deviate. Analytics say its better to strike out than to do anything other than swing for the fences, so thats what hitters do.

Great breakdown.

I was just talking with my Pops about this yesterday and sent him that same article.

It's going to be interesting to see what MLB does to counteract the rise in K's.

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
baseball is the only league activly trying to DECREASE offense becaue of some purist bullshyt. also the nerds ruined baseball. the shift has to go its dumb as fukk , i hate when these non athletes are like "just hit the ball to the opposite field" like its so easy hitting a 90 smthg mph fastball and not to mention for them to stop doing that shift youd have to hit it the other way enough times to change your own percentages. and who the fukk would rather see players trying to hit dribblers to the oppisite field all game then hitting a line drive but pulling the ball ? it makes no sense. theyre killing the game to live up to some cac purist bullshyt. get the shift out of here and juice the ball dont unjuice it. baseball was the best in the steroid era. but baseball shoots themselves in the foot making the game boring as fukk