I spent 23 years in prison for a crime I didn’t commit. Kansas is giving me nothing...

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps

Lamonte McIntyre was wrongfully convicted of a 1994 double homicide in Kansas City and was exonerated on Oct. 13. He co-authored this with Tricia J. Bushnell, director of the Midwest Innocence Project.

Floyd Bledsoe, Richard Jones and I share a unique bond. We were all wrongfully convicted by the state of Kansas. We all served decades in prison together at Lansing Correctional Facility until we were exonerated and released.

Now we are all 41 years old. We are restarting our lives without a dime of support from the state that unjustly imprisoned us.

Floyd and Richard each served 16 years, and I spent 23 years behind bars. We were all innocent.

No amount of money can give us back those years, but the state can help with our financial hardships. However, Kansas is one of only 18 states in the country without a law to compensate the wrongfully convicted. After everything that the three of us have been through, we are still struggling just to make ends meet.

At our age most people have a career path, retirement accounts and assets, but we are all starting from scratch. Next month I plan to enter college to finish the degree I began in prison. Luckily, a scholarship is going to help pay for my education, but I still have to find a way to afford an apartment, food and clothing.

When Floyd was wrongfully convicted, he lost a good salary as a dairy farmer and had to sell his land and livestock to pay for legal expenses. Since his release, he has found a job, but he still faces financial challenges like getting a car loan without any credit history.

Richard is struggling to find employment with a multi-year gap in his resume.

Ironically, had we been guilty, we would be eligible for more support from the state of Kansas, including job training and mentoring programs. Without a state compensation law, our only option is to file a federal civil rights lawsuit against the local government that contributed to our wrongful convictions.

A state law with a fixed payment for each year the innocent person spent behind bars would provide consistency and more immediate help for the wrongfully convicted. Kansas lawmakers should look to Texas’ law as a model, which provides $80,000 for each year in prison, or neighboring Colorado, which offers $75,000. The law should also provide us with an official judicial declaration of innocence so there is no confusion for employers and others that we were wrongfully convicted.

In recent years the Kansas Legislature has worked to prevent wrongful convictions by requiring eyewitness identification best practices and recording of suspect interrogations. Now it’s time for the state to finally make things right for the innocent by ensuring we receive the financial compensation we need to rebuild our lives.

I spent 23 years in prison for a crime I didn’t commit. Kansas is giving me nothing

Pure insanity. fukk Amerikkka and the racist ass prison slavery bullshyt.

We all need to be abolitionist. I will try to make more threads highlighting the fact that slavery has never been abolished here.

People often forget but I want to do more to let people know.

Daps
A state law with a fixed payment for each year the innocent person spent behind bars would provide consistency and more immediate help for the wrongfully convicted. Kansas lawmakers should look to Texas’ law as a model, which provides $80,000 for each year in prison, or neighboring Colorado, which offers $75,000. The law should also provide us with an official judicial declaration of innocence so there is no confusion for employers and others that we were wrongfully convicted.

smh @ $80k/year being reasonable for stealing someone's freedom. These people deserve tens of millions of dollars.

The official judicial declaration should be standard practice, tho. Can't believe that it's not. Even with that, many employers would still likely be squeamish on hiring a guy who had to survive decades in prison.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're a cracker, you don't really have an opinion on a story like this
so the justice system in america has never wrongfully convicted a white person :dead: what kind of a tryhard, bullshyt ass post was that? shut the fukk up :camby:

and for the record, i would NEVER compare the treatment of blacks and whites by this country's 'justice' system :scusthov:

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
We have so many locked up right now that have done literally nothing. I'm going to gather a list of organizations that are trying to free people from prison slavery.

This should be on our minds everyday cause it can happen to any of us at anytime.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Here's the thread i made about it back in October about the circumstances the put him in prison. Dude really got fukked over.
Black man that went to prison for an alleged double-homicide may be set free...this 1 is a doozie

The cop was making women suck his dikk or they would go to jail. And he was taking cash (stealing) from men. So the woman, Rosie McIntyre, was one of his victims. And she was going to blow the whistle on dude, but he was a powerful dirty cop. Now, what this cac did was despicable. There was a double homicide that was clearly linked to another black man, but this cac made it so that some "witness" ended up pointing out this lady's son as the shooter. So he framed her son as payback for her coming out about the forced sex acts. And that's not even the end of it. The cac cop showed 5 pictures of possible suspects. 2 OF THE SUSPECTS WERE ROSIE MCINTYRE'S KIDS AND THE ANOTHER WAS HER NEPHEW. So he was going to fukk her family over regardless. The real shooter is in jail for another homicide.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Repayment systems if wrongly convicted are something else for AAs in Kansas to lobby for, and for Black people to be behind on a national level, though its difficult to control what state governments do.
Brutal sentences should be given for people who lie under oath in an attempt to have someone falsely accused and sent to prison.