I think crime films being set only before the 00's make better sense, plot wise.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
You're 100% correct, there are "types" of movies you can do. I think what the OP is getting at is that a lot of what was built doesn't work anymore. It's like The Little Things being set in the 1990s because that's when it was originally written and even though it didn't get made until 20 years later, an updated plot wouldn't work due to the phone angles and other shyt.
Can you explain more about “what was built doesn’t work anymore”?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Can you explain more about “what was built doesn’t work anymore”?

I mean the plot progressions that are built up, like when someone assumes someone else's identity without having to provide realistic verification, or moves through the streets without getting caught on a single camera, etc., a lot of the old tropes that were reliable parts of crime plots just don't work anymore.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I mean the plot progressions that are built up, like when someone assumes someone else's identity without having to provide realistic verification, or moves through the streets without getting caught on a single camera, etc., a lot of the old tropes that were reliable parts of crime plots just don't work anymore.
So Identity fraud
Yea but realistically isn’t identity fraud something that would’ve been hard to get away with in the 90s too

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
I can't think of any crime films, true stories or fictional set after 2000.

Any good examples? It definitely seems like crime was more lucrative and wild back in the days. Like if you did a mob movie set now, it would be about fixing online poker games. Boring.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
For films in general, but crime dramas especially.

Stories where someone completely disappears or creates a completely fake identity make better sense before the digital era.
Also, getting away with outrageous crimes seems slightly more sensible when the police had more primitive tech.
I can go on for days with this regarding a lot of story tropes, like someone doing a dangerous act because other characters couldn't reach him on time (before cellphones).

Besides, Can't think of a current gang that's as interesting as old mobsters or 80's gangs.

Even with tech, the older folks don't use it like that, so those things still work. There are plenty of locations in America that have shytty service and a lot of stores still take cash. Even for those that don't, prepaid/instant paycards work anonymously.

Y'all think of it as people that want to be connected, but there's an entire population of folks that don't want to be, especially 24-7.

I actually think technology made identity fraud easier. You don't actually need to be physically present, or show up in order to handle business. Even signatures are no longer needed.