I Wanted to Know What White Men Thought About Their Privilege. So I Asked.

Discussion in 'The Root' started by Rhap.So.D, Jul 20, 2019.

1. RhapSaRiq

RhapSaRiq ♊Sigma Wolf of the WoofPack♊ Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

More in the link
    The New York Times: I Wanted to Know What White Men Thought About Their Privilege. So I Asked..
    I Wanted to Know What White Men Thought About Their Privilege. So I Asked.

Awezi dapped this.
  2. MischievousMonkey

MischievousMonkey Gor bu dëgër

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

:laff: Article should be called "how I use sociological studies to satisfy my white men obsession"

She might be right next to Rihanna in for the play :sas2:

3. RhapSaRiq

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

I
    I just found it odd that she didn't feel comfortable to question her own husband. Maybe she did but probably felt his answers were Influenced or would be influenced by their relationship.

4. MischievousMonkey

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

What I find odd is how weak her investigation & interview game is for someone in the field of sociology.

But once again, there is a lot of scammers and fanfiction writers evolving in that area.

The fact that she excluded white women from her "investigation" when its premise is based on whiteness let me know how good of a teacher she is.

I'm not holding it against you and thanks for sharing breh but that article is a waste of time and data :hubie:

HarlemHottie and Rhap.So.D dapped this.
  5. RhapSaRiq

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

She didn't exclude them. She talked about them in the link. I just couldn't post the whole article because it was too long

HarlemHottie and MischievousMonkey dapped this.
  6. MischievousMonkey

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

My fault :hubie: I was wrong on that. My other points still stand. This is trash sociology to me.

Rhap.So.D dapped this.
  7. HarlemHottie

HarlemHottie Uptown Thoroughbred

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #ADOS
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Could you please post the whole thing, in a spoiler, maybe? I used up all my free joints and I ain't giving them shyt. :pacspit:

Rep available. :usure:

Rhap.So.D dapped this.
  8. RhapSaRiq

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $200500.00

I was waiting in another line for access to another plane in another city as another group of white men approached. When they realized they would have to get behind a dozen or so people already in line, they simply formed their own line next to us. I said to the white man standing in front of me, “Now, that is the height of white male privilege.” He laughed and remained smiling all the way to his seat. He wished me a good flight. We had shared something. I don’t know if it was the same thing for each of us — the same recognition of racialized privilege — but I could live with that polite form of unintelligibility.

I found the suited men who refused to fall in line exhilarating and amusing (as well as obnoxious). Watching them was like watching a spontaneous play about white male privilege in one act. I appreciated the drama. One or two of them chuckled at their own audacity. The gate agent did an interesting sort of check-in by merging the newly formed line with the actual line. The people in my line, almost all white and male themselves, were in turn quizzical and accepting.

After I watched this scene play out, I filed it away to use as an example in my class. How would my students read this moment? Some would no doubt be enraged by the white female gate agent who let it happen. I would ask why it was easier to be angry with her than with the group of men. Because she doesn’t recognize or utilize her institutional power, someone would say. Based on past classes, I could assume the white male students would be quick to distance themselves from the men at the gate; white solidarity has no place in a class that sets out to make visible the default positions of whiteness.

As the professor, I felt this was a narrative that could help me gauge the level of recognition of white privilege in the class, because other white people were also inconvenienced by the actions of this group of men. The students wouldn’t be distracted by society’s abuse of minorities because everyone seemed inconvenienced. Some students, though, would want to see the moment as gendered, not racialized. I would ask them if they could imagine a group of black men pulling off this action without the white men in my line responding or the gate agent questioning the men even if they were within their rights.

As I became more and more frustrated with myself for avoiding asking my question, I wondered if presumed segregation in business or first class should have been Number 47 on McIntosh’s list. Just do it, I told myself. Just ask a random white guy how he feels about his privilege.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I myself am overdetermined by my race. Is that avoidable? Is that a problem? Had I made the problem or was I given the problem?CreditPhoto illustration by Najeebah Al-Ghadban

On my next flight, I came close. I was a black woman in the company of mostly white men, in seats that allowed for both proximity and separate spaces. The flight attendant brought drinks to everyone around me but repeatedly forgot my orange juice. Telling myself orange juice is sugar and she might be doing my post-cancer body a favor, I just nodded when she apologized for the second time. The third time she walked by without the juice, the white man sitting next to me said to her: “This is incredible. You have brought me two drinks in the time you have forgotten to bring her one.”

She returned immediately with the juice.

I thanked him. He said, “She isn’t suited to her job.” I didn’t respond: “She didn’t forget your drinks. She didn’t forget you. You are seated next to no one in this no place.” Instead, I said, “She just likes you more.” He perhaps thought I was speaking about him in particular and blushed. Did he understand I was joking about white male privilege? It didn’t seem so.