Idris Elba no longer refers to himself as a black actor because it puts him in a "box"

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.

CNN —
“Luther” star Idris Elba says he no longer refers to himself as a “Black actor” because the label put him in a “box” and an “obsession” with race can hinder aspirations and growth.

Speaking to Esquire UK, in an interview published Wednesday, the Golden Globe winner said that while he is a prominent member of the Black community, such separatism in Hollywood can hold entertainers back.

“If we spent half the time not talking about the differences but the similarities between us, the entire planet would have a shift in the way we deal with each other,” Elba told the publication.

“As humans, we are obsessed with race. And that obsession can really hinder people’s aspirations, hinder people’s growth.”

Elba is best known for his portrayals of drug lord Stringer Bell in the HBO series “The Wire,” as well as DCI John Luther in the BBC crime series “Luther.” His film credits include “Beast,” “Three Thousand Years of Longing,” “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom,” and “The Suicide Squad.”

For Elba “racism is very real,” but he believes that “it’s only as powerful as you allow it to be.”

“I stopped describing myself as a Black actor when I realized it put me in a box. We’ve got to grow. We’ve got to. Our skin is no more than that: it’s just skin. Rant over,” he said.

Elsewhere in the interview, Elba discussed his reasons for pursuing a career in entertainment, saying it was never to break barriers as a Black man.

“I did it because I thought that’s a great profession and I could do a good job at it,” he explained. “As you get up the ladder, you get asked what it’s like to be the first Black to do this or that. Well, it’s the same as it would be if I were white. It’s the first time for me. I don’t want to be the first Black. I’m the first Idris.”

Elba can next be seen in Netflix film, “Luther: The Fallen Sun,” the big screen follow-up to his beloved crime series “Luther”, when it hits theaters on February 24.

:francis:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
is this good or bad news for the internet ass community? :patrice:

iamduval

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I could see him as a post retirement Jordan if he wanted to do that. Expanding his brand and business, I guess

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
I think Michael B Jordan expressed this sentiment more artfully some years back, and it made sense.

But this…I get it, but it sounds like he’s trying to “escape” the Black label. The truth is it doesn’t matter wtf he calls himself because the people making the decisions WILL see him and refer to him as a “Black” actor behind closed doors. You have to know that. I just don’t get the point of saying this in the media. Unless it’s to send some sort of message to power brokers? Lol

Ricky Fontaine

Superstar
Daps
I think Michael B Jordan expressed this sentiment more artfully some years back, and it made sense.

But this…I get it, but it sounds like he’s trying to “escape” the Black label. The truth is it doesn’t matter wtf he calls himself because the people making the decisions WILL see him and refer to him as a “Black” actor behind closed doors. You have to know that. I just don’t get the point of saying this in the media. Unless it’s to send some sort of message to power brokers? Lol

That’s what I don’t understand!

This isn’t a job resume nikka we can SEE YOU!:dead:

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
That’s what I don’t understand!

This isn’t a job resume nikka we can SEE YOU!:dead:
I’m SAYING!!

This is has to be some cryptic message these ppl are sending through the media, because it doesn’t make sense.

Denzel didn’t have to say anything like this. They couldn’t deny the talent and star power so they gave him the roles.

MJB has obvious universal appeal and talent so it’s happening for him, as well.

I’m certainly not down playing the racism, discrimination and pigeonholing that he probably experiences, but telling the world “I’m not a ‘Black’ actor” won’t just make the decision makers go “Well, in that case, let’s consider him for these roles as well!” :gladbron: