If there was a button that would give you $1,000 each time you push it with a 1% chance of dying

Barlow

He,Him,Nigguh
Daps
Get a quarter

Flip it

Do it for real.

Keep doing it until something BESIDES half heads and half tails happens.

Let's say do it 100 times and post your results
14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Think of it like a lottery game breh. Let’s say a particular scratch off game has a 1 in 3 chance of winning any cash prize. Just because you buy 3 of the games doesn’t mean you’ll win any of them because each individual ticket has the 1 in 3 odds. Just like the button here. Each individual press of the button has a 1% chance of death. You could only press it once and get it or you could press it 1,000 times and never die.

If you don't win 1 out of 3 then the people who sell the tickets are

Lying

Of course you can buy 3 only and get 3 duds. But if you bought 100 you should have roughly 33 winners

The words have to have a meaning

"One percent chance" doesn't mean you get 1000 or 1000000 rolls before you get a hit. It means "one out of one hundred"

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Get a quarter

Flip it

Do it for real.

Keep doing it until something BESIDES half heads and half tails happens.

Let's say do it 100 times and post your results

When you increase observations, your %'s will even out to the expected mean. So yes, eventually if u flip enough coins, you will have a near 50/50 distribution.

But with OP's scenario... you die :dead:

Cant die 100000 times to make the math even out, with only one "observation" of the negative outcome, the % will actually be further away from the expected mean. That's how statistics works. You need to increase observations to see the expected averages. If you die on the first button push, you cant redo it :hubie:

The problem you are having is in believing that there is a guarantee. There isn't one. Its just a very high likelihood.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you don't win 1 out of 3 then the people who sell the tickets are

Lying

Of course you can buy 3 only and get 3 duds. But if you bought 100 you should have roughly 33 winners

The words have to have a meaning

"One percent chance" doesn't mean you get 1000 or 1000000 rolls before you get a hit. It means "one out of one hundred"

One percent could also mean 10 out of 1000
or 100 out of 10000
or even 100000 out of 10000000

There is no guarantee. 100000 out of 1000000 will give you better data than 1 out of 100.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Why would you even say that there was a 1% chance unless it hit on average every 100 times?

If it was POSSIBLE to press it

A million times

And win each time, then it would be incorrect to call that a 1% chance. Just simply because you've proven it's more like a thousandth of a percent chance

And yes. You can lose on the first pull if you truly had a 1% chance to lose. It's just unlikely.

So smug too. What you wrote was completely wrong and I hope you can now understand why

You are in the wrong breh.

Look at things this way.

The odds of a coin landing on heads is 50%. When you flip the coin again, the odds of it landing on heads is still 50%.

It will continue to being 50% everytime you flip the coin. However the chances of landing two heads in a row is, I think, 25%.

Same concept behind the marbles in the bag.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Has @Ghost Utmost gone his entire life thinking this is how %s work :lupe:

:laff:

The imaginary "probability" is not an objective thing. It's a rule that you develop after making observations.

Your problem is you cling to a "definition" and you focus on the "possibility" of the system going against the expected outcome

A system that is said to be 1 out of 100 could possibly hit a sequence where it goes 200 rolls without a hit. But that's like planning on hitting lotto numbers. That's not even a part of measuring the chances in the first place. You determine the chances so you know how to act.

If you knew that half of people had herpes then you don't just keep fukcing raw til you crap out. You make sure to try to avoid the shyt

If you think I don't understand the definition of words and the POSSIBILITY of a system defying odds.. you're wrong. I understand everything you're saying

I am beyond the imaginary tho. I am encouraging y'all to translate these imaginary formulas into real life action

And understand that the abstract concept is useless without the real world understanding

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
The imaginary "probability" is not an objective thing. It's a rule that you develop after making observations.

Your problem is you cling to a "definition" and you focus on the "possibility" of the system going against the expected outcome

A system that is said to be 1 out of 100 could possibly hit a sequence where it goes 200 rolls without a hit. But that's like planning on hitting lotto numbers. That's not even a part of measuring the chances in the first place. You determine the chances so you know how to act.

If you knew that half of people had herpes then you don't just keep fukcing raw til you crap out. You make sure to try to avoid the shyt

If you think I don't understand the definition of words and the POSSIBILITY of a system defying odds.. you're wrong. I understand everything you're saying

I am beyond the imaginary tho. I am encouraging y'all to translate these imaginary formulas into real life action

And understand that the abstract concept is useless without the real world understanding

posters here legit cant say when they are wrong :wow: